Possible bedding issue...hey Mup??

Tenntrapper

I need some suggestions. I'll explain what I did.
I've got a Win model 70 Classic Ultimate Shadow. The barrel was free floated in original stock, but the forend was starting to warp a little. After a lot of searching, I found a "factory" stock that was never put into production. Made at the time FN took over, and is so marked. It's for the super short action, which I have, but I believe it was for the coyote..with the heavier barrel.
Everything fits as it should, except extra space in barrel channel. Basically, nothing is touching the barrel from the recoil lug forward. The new stock has a full length aluminum "frame" in it.
I took it out to shoot today, and something isn't right. First shot missed bullseye (understandable), second went to low right. (See pic) third went same as second, but fourth went back to where the first impact was. Took pic after first 2 shots. I feel like something is moving...any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_110618.jpg
    IMG_20200816_110618.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 282

MUP

That target looks like they are all in the same hole to me! Don't know what that hole is toward the bottom! :D That stock looks similar to the B&C I have on my Rem Sendero, they both have an aluminum bedding block, which makes bedding more simple as I understand it. Is the recoil lug loose inside the pocket of the bedding block? I'd probably bed the recoil lug anyway from the start, it made the difference with my Sendero. (Thanks Hunter0925!)

MUP

Well, after looking at that Model 70 stock it doesn't seem to have a recoil lug pocket. You may have to bed the entire action. I'd check out some yt videos of bedding the Model 70 stock to get an idea of what most are doing, but again, to answer your question, yes, it could very well be a bedding issue, and I've decided that from now on that's one of, if not the first thing I'll do from now on when I get a new or new to me rifle. Ask TnBillyEarl as well, he bedded his 7mag himself as well, but it was a Remington tho.

Tenntrapper

MUP":lmg0f1pr said:
That target looks like they are all in the same hole to me! Don't know what that hole is toward the bottom! :D That stock looks similar to the B&C I have on my Rem Sendero, they both have an aluminum bedding block, which makes bedding more simple as I understand it. Is the recoil lug loose inside the pocket of the bedding block? I'd probably bed the recoil lug anyway from the start, it made the difference with my Sendero. (Thanks Hunter0925!)

That pic was after only 2 shots. Look at the target in bottom right corner. 3rd shot stayed down there, but the 4th came back up to the 1st.

Tenntrapper

MUP":1tfyc9aq said:
Well, after looking at that Model 70 stock it doesn't seem to have a recoil lug pocket. You may have to bed the entire action. I'd check out some yt videos of bedding the Model 70 stock to get an idea of what most are doing, but again, to answer your question, yes, it could very well be a bedding issue, and I've decided that from now on that's one of, if not the first thing I'll do from now on when I get a new or new to me rifle. Ask TnBillyEarl as well, he bedded his 7mag himself as well, but it was a Remington tho.

I'm sure you know this, but lug goes in circled area. Yes, because of the extra area in barrel channel, it can be moved around some prior to tightening action screws.

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_132213__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20200816_132213__01__01.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 271

Jcalder

I would guess bedding should help. Thhosr aluminum blocks still aren't perfect as they aren't matched to that particular action, but much better than the plastic. I would still bed. Something you may be experiencing is the action screw torque not being where it likes to be. If you have a torque wrench you can look up the specs online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

Tenntrapper":hmxi53d9 said:
MUP":hmxi53d9 said:

I'm sure you know this, but lug goes in circled area. Yes, because of the extra area in barrel channel, it can be moved around some prior to tightening action screws.

Yep, I would recommend viewing some video of the process, but in the case of the Winchester Model 70 it looks like a full bedding will be necessary. Good advice from JCalder as well.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Also check to ensure that your action screw length is correct for the new stock. If too long it could bottom out or bind before everything is actually tight. Just another easy thing to check

Tenntrapper

Ok, I've done some measuring. At the recoil lug, the area the lug goes into, is about an 1/8" wider than the lug. Also, the part of the Tang that drops into that "groove" in the stock, has about an 1/8" side play in it. Unlike a 700, its this, that the action screw goes into. Looks like I will be bedding it.

Thanks for all the help. It's much appreciated.

DaveB

Like mentioned earlier check the screws. With that much variance in the block finding other discrepancies would not surprise me.