Bedding a rail

Jcalder

Another bedding process. This will be done on 2 rifles. You may see pictures of one, or both. One rail is a seekins rail and one is most likely a bergara rail. I hope to be informative and please ask questions if you have any. Most common question I'll get is why? Some rails have a gap and when the gap is closed up the rail has flex. Check front and back but I've usually found it in the back of the receiver.

Gonna start off with naked guns. Check to ensure they are unloaded and take out the bolts
image.jpg

Jcalder

On this particular rifle, they're quite a bit of gap with only the front screws in. That's where your flex comes in, possibly getting your scope in a bind.
image.jpg

The other rifle has a gap as well, but not near as bad.
image.jpg

Jcalder

Degrease your action. I used alcohol. Tape action to catch excess bedding. Gonna just do a skim coat so there won't be a ton here. Make sure isn't gonna interfere
image.jpg
image.jpg

ADR

Not judging your method at all but why tape off the action when bedding the rail and not tape the stock when bedding it?
Thanks for doing these tutorials for everyone to follow.
Ever use devcon for bedding compound?

Jcalder

Not judging your method at all but why tape off the action when bedding the rail and not tape the stock when bedding it?
If it wasn't for the bolt release, I wouldn't tape this at all. Just don't wanna tear that apart.

I've used devcon and have nothing against it. But I can't buy it in smaller quantities.

Jcalder

Rough up the rail. I don't have a working dremmel battery so I just took a drill bit and marked them a bit.
image.jpg

Degrease the rails and make sure you get any debris off them.

Jcalder

Apply bedding
2911B5B2-8392-4814-BFC3-5884938E7B64.jpeg

Here's the hard part. Set the rain on the receiver and use the front screws to align rail. On the seekins rail make sure it is pushed forward all it'll go. I just torque the screws to 20 pounds. Start cleaning.
image.jpg

Jcalder

This is why I taped. To keep the bedding out of that hole. Honestly, probably not needed
image.jpg

ADR

This is why I taped. To keep the bedding out of that hole. Honestly, probably not needed View attachment 166731
Looks great!!
You do wonderful work.
Bedding stocks/rails has a very steep learning curve. I hope your illustrations help anyone contemplating this task.

I'm about to do a weatherby vanguard that has the screw built into the lug, any suggestions?

Jcalder

Looks great!!
You do wonderful work.
Bedding stocks/rails has a very steep learning curve. I hope your illustrations help anyone contemplating this task.

I'm about to do a weatherby vanguard that has the screw built into the lug, any suggestions?
Got any pictures? Shouldn't be too hard. If you're close to Cookeville I wouldn't mind helping you out

CHRIS WILSON

Looks good. I started checking the fit and bedding the rail mounts on my rifles a couple of years ago. Up to that point, I never realized/paid attention to how sloppy of a fit some mounts can have.

Jcalder

Looks good. I started checking the fit and bedding the rail mounts on my rifles a couple of years ago. Up to that point, I never realized/paid attention to how sloppy of a fit some mounts can have.
I've seen some that were great, other that aren't even close. The gun I bedded the other day has a rail, I couldn't find any movement in it. I'm not so keen on lapping rings anymore, as long as the rail is right.

Latest posts