Browning A-bolt trigger issue...

Tenntrapper

Several years ago, I traded for an original micro medallion. The trigger absolutely sucked. It was so bad, that at times you couldn't even pull it. Because of this...I sold it.
Regretted it immediately. Now, several years later, i bought it back from the guy I sold it to.
Online research...I found some trigger springs that were supposed to lighten it. I ended up going with the Mcarbo spring.
Changing it out was very simple. Playing with it (adjusting), I found what the original problem was. (Trigger seemingly locked). The adjustment screw is backwards from what you would think. You turn counter clockwise to increase weight. The screw has a lip on it that the spring sits on. The other end of spring is against the trigger itself. Turning CC compresses the spring against trigger. The screw is accessed through a hole in the trigger. Turning screw clockwise, to decrease trigger pull, is where the problem happens. Obviously, turning clockwise is also lowering the height of the screw. All the way out (CC) the screw head will actually protrude through the hole in trigger. When lightening the trigger pull (lowering the screw head height) you can get it below the hole in trigger. Any lateral movement of trigger will result in it hitting (sitting down on) the screw... stopping the trigger movement.
So, if you have an A-bolt l or ll and the trigger occasionally locks up...try increasing the trigger weight...just enough to get that screw out enough to where it stays in the hole...and not under it.

Hope that made sense...and that it helps someone.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I had the same problem with mine when I first got it.
I carried it to a gunsmith and he fixed it.
Cost me a deer but after I got used to 1 3/4# pull that breaks like thin glass, I love it.

fairchaser

I have an original Abolt so the trigger can only be adjusted by a gunsmith by honing it. It came from the factory around 5 lbs. Basically unusable. The gunsmith reduced it to 3 lbs which is fine. My match rifle is set at 3 oz so everything now feels heavy in comparison but I can still deal with it. The point I wanted to make is to be careful that you don't get any moisture in it during extreme cold temps or it will freeze and FTF. That mistake cost me a deer! It might be a good idea to drop the hammer on an empty chamber during long cold sits. The area that can freeze is not a spot easily accessible through normal cleaning. It's just a fault of Browning Abolt rifles trigger mechanism.

Tenntrapper

I have an original Abolt so the trigger can only be adjusted by a gunsmith by honing it. It came from the factory around 5 lbs. Basically unusable. The gunsmith reduced it to 3 lbs which is fine. My match rifle is set at 3 oz so everything now feels heavy in comparison but I can still deal with it. The point I wanted to make is to be careful that you don't get any moisture in it during extreme cold temps or it will freeze and FTF. That mistake cost me a deer! It might be a good idea to drop the hammer on an empty chamber during long cold sits. The area that can freeze is not a spot easily accessible through normal cleaning. It's just a fault of Browning Abolt rifles trigger mechanism.
I've heard they can rust in that area as well.
As I said...the issue I had originally had was, in an attempt to lighten the trigger pull, it's possible to get that adjustment screw low enough that the trigger can hang on the top of it...if any lateral movement. As long as the screw is high enough to keep the head in the trigger hole...it's not an issue.

Latest posts