Bergara B-14 vs Browning X-Bolt

RUN&GUN

Looking to buy a new rifle to elk hunt with and have narrowed it down to these two rifles. Going with .300WM in the caliber. Anyone with any experience with either of these guns? Price and weight are about even so that's not an issue.

Thanks.

david k.

I've never owned a Browning rifle but I have a B-14 Ridge in 300WM with a Meopta Meopro HTR and I really like it. I hand-loaded 200 grain Partitions over H4831 and was able to take a moose with it last fall.

Pretty impressive performance...the moose was slightly quartering towards me at about 150-170 yards and so I hit him in the shoulder and the bullet exited near the back of the ribs on the off side...he took about 3-4 wobbly steps and nose dived into the bog.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Sold most of my tikka's (except 1 the wife bought me) and my browning. Hunt with my Bergara's all the time. Only savage I have left is my sons savage 110 lightweight in 6.5 cm. He's killed 11 deer with it so it's kind of his go to and special rifle now. But Bergara is top notch.

TNRifleman

I have a fair amount of experience with Bergara rifles and honestly couldn't say enough good about the guns and the guys that run the company. They are top notch. Whcih model are you looking at? I can help answer any questions you might have.

TNRifleman

B-14 HMR CARBON WILDERNESS
That is a fantastic rifle but honestly, if I were buying one to elk hunt with, I would buy a B14 Wilderness Ridge Carbon or a B14 Crest instead due to weight. The HMR stock itself weighs 4 lbs so it is still going to be pretty heavy toting around the mountains. Hers a pic of a 3 shot group from by Wilderness Ridge Carbon in 300WM.
IMG_8338.jpeg

RUN&GUN

That is a fantastic rifle but honestly, if I were buying one to elk hunt with, I would buy a B14 Wilderness Ridge Carbon or a B14 Crest instead due to weight. The HMR stock itself weighs 4 lbs so it is still going to be pretty heavy toting around the mountains. Hers a pic of a 3 shot group from by Wilderness Ridge Carbon in 300WM. View attachment 194815
I looked at that one too and it's not out of the running, but I like the adjustable comb. Nice group! Did you have to try a lot of different loads to find the one that the gun liked the best? What scope are you using?

Last edited:

TNRifleman

I looked at that one too and it's not out of the running, but I like the adjustable comb. Nice group! Did you have to try a lot of different loads to find the one that the gun liked the best? What scope are you using?
First ammo I shot was just under 3/4" and was 195 gr. Horandy ELD-M. This was the second ammo I tried and am sticking with it. I have a Zeiss V4 4-16 on this one.

Rubberduck270

My new rifle will be here tomorrow, Bergara B14 Ridge in 308. I've always been a die hard Remington 700 guy but for the price point and quality I don't think you can beat a Bergara.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have a bergara ridge in 300 wm and 6.5 creedmoor. I am looking for a 7-08 in either a woodsman or a timber, i want it in the wood stock. I have handled a few Brownings, but I keep coming back to bergara.

rickyk280

I also own both, and both are very good rifles, but if leaving everything stock I would choose the Bergara over the X-Bolt simply because I like the Bergara Trigger better than the X-Bolt.

Latest posts