Bedding a bergara.

Jcalder

I'm sure I'll leave out details, so please ask away.

I disassembled the rifle, taking the trigger and bolt release off as well.
9A812A67-A4F2-4A34-BFDC-C7E53F987E91.jpeg

After disassembly, I used plumbers putty and started filling holes. You do not want bedding to get into these crevices if possible.
AEB277F6-E7D8-408A-81EB-75C95687A824.jpeg
8547CB55-C700-4EEA-9DF0-170C257A1DB1.jpeg

I use 3 inch bolts, 1/4-20 with the heads cut off for alignment. Checked stock fitment and added more putty to the stock under the barrel so it doesn't fill up with bedding compound. I did attempt to make a dam to keep the bedding from flowing forward. You can also see I drilled a few holes to allow the bedding to lock into the stock
54CAD02D-D6D2-4D1F-AC97-877FF746A8C1.jpeg
1C959195-520A-4358-8F0C-85E94980E593.jpeg

I use shoe wax as a release agent and coat generously. I did not get pictures of this step. But basically coat the action and barrel where bedding may end up.

I use jb weld original on 99% of my stocks. I like its consistency and it's easy to work with. Mixed probably half a tube and spread it on the stock.
2327D86B-307C-45A5-A0FD-AAD22622198A.jpeg

Time to set the barrel in the stock. Ease the action slowly and allow the bedding compound the flow where it needs without being overly forced. You can really make a mess here and slow is better than fast. Take note how the bedding oozed out a bit.
0DBA7397-80F5-442B-9BAC-F3C1BC4DD52E.jpeg

Time to get to work. I was taught years ago that clean up not is much better than cleanup later. I use q-tips and get as much excess off as possible. It takes time. You have time. Be meticulous. Once the bulk of the extra bedding is gone, take a-tips dipped in hoppes 9 and go over those edges. It'll really clean up. Don't forget the mag well and trigger area. Use a zip tie, surgical tape or electrical take and hold the action in tight!
A41C1EE5-998B-4D32-8173-8FB77EC487D1.jpeg

At this point you should have something similar. Let it sit. I cannot stress this enough. Let it sit. 24 hours is a good start. After a few hours it won't hurt to break the bolts loose. Just a few turns is sufficient.

I hope to report back tomorrow when I pop this loose, but I'll have a busy evening. Clean up should be a breeze tho.

vonb

Looking forward to seeing the results. That's always the fun part when you pull the barreled-action out.

I apply bedding to both stock and action. This prevents air pockets and voids from being created when the action is laid into the epoxy.

Jcalder

1 huge detail I did leave out and shouldn't have. At the end of the stock you want keep the barrel centered in the channel. Usually strips of tape work just fine. Bergara is very generous and the last one I did took over 30 strips of tape. This time I used some post if notes and tape to hold in place to keep centered. Not the best way but works. You want it centered and you don't want the barrel supported during the process.
image.jpg

This morning I've came down and turned the alignment bolts out several turns. Wasn't any trouble. I'll leave as is till after church and probably after lunch as well.

Jcalder

Looking forward to seeing the results. That's always the fun part when you pull the barreled-action out.

I apply bedding to both stock and action. This prevents air pockets and voids from being created when the action is laid into the epoxy.
That's why I say ease it in slowly. You can even push in and pull out to help get the air out. Kinda like a vibration to get it going where it needs.

Also, my intent here is to help someone else out during the process, but to also get feedback cause my way may not be the best way. My first few bed jobs were very crude, but they actually turned out quite well. One thing I've learned is to not rush the process, and Winchester shadow stocks are easy to pull the bedding out with lol. Also, and this will work with a savage, but the savage tang does not get bedding. It needs to be floated!

Snowwolfe

One tip I picked up over the decades is to cover most of the stock with black electricians tape. It can make clean up much easier.
Good tip about wrapping the barrel with tape to center the barrel in the stock.

Jcalder

Day 2!

Just popped this thing out of the stock. Not 100% perfection, but I'll give a 95%. Took a minute to get everything loose. I took out the alignment bolts. I did put the bottom metal back in minus the follower and tightened it down to about 20 pounds on the wheeler. Will let it sit till tomorrow night before I fully clean everything up. Also, note where the zip tie was. Coulda got that cleaned up a bit better and should have done that before I put the tie on. No big deal. This is why you use a release agent.
B190D2A2-C543-46BE-B810-5D567153CBFC.jpeg
F74D167F-82F4-447E-BF5B-6FD2D9BAD8E9.jpeg
0F823149-3F8C-44D3-81EC-FAF9BD2FEE4E.jpeg

Jcalder

One tip I picked up over the decades is to cover most of the stock with black electricians tape. It can make clean up much easier.
Good tip about wrapping the barrel with tape to center the barrel in the stock.
I've tried doing this and for myself it makes a mess. This is the point I was making earlier tho, neither is right or wrong. If it works for you, use it!

Latest posts