Poison Ivy / Oak

gil1

The picture in my mind is funnier if you use the gel, so that's what I'm going to grief you about for the rest of your life!
It's also sometimes used to stop sweating, and the aroma attracts babes. :cool:

gil1

J&JGUIDE said:
You gotta have the BomChickaBowwow to attract the Babes!! Bikini trout in your case gil.

You talkin' about one of them skimpy Euro bathing suits?
Man, I'd rather get poison ivy than have the thought of you in a banana hammock embedded in my brain.
So you go outdoors with that gel all lathered up and one of them sissy suits to attract babes and thwart poison ivy? Man, I was gonna ask you to go feeshin' sometime, but I can't have that crap in my boat! :D

TheLBLman

About all my life I was little bothered by poison ivy.
I regularly pulled vines from trees in placing stands, and typically only washed my hands hours later. Commonly had some small breakouts, kind of like what BSK described along a scratch line.

Then about 3 years ago, I barely touched some, although I possibly inhaled some poison ivy "dust" from a large dead vine, and it nearly put me in the hospital. I pulled a dead vine off the side of a tree, and this "dust" filled the air, which I breathed a little of it before realizing. A couple days later my whole upper body was one big whelp, and one big itch. But I've had nothing but minor stuff since.

trealtree

When I was younger I was helping burn some poison ivy. I literally felt like I was going to die for about 2 weeks. I dont remmeber what the DR. gave me though I was only about 10. They said it was caused by the poison ivy smoke.

Winchester

That would be incorrect DD, only 2 times I ever got it bad were both in the fall/winter from the vine itself, course I broke them open, maybe thats what she meant.

WRF

I just bought and used some Cortaid treatment spray. I cannot make a comparison to other products necessarily made specifically to relieve itching of poison ivy, but it did work better for me than some Benadryl cream that I had (although that was not bad). Cortaid's spray is working really well to lessen the itching, and I think that it is helping clear the rash up, but the rash may just be running its course on its own.

Gil, I hear you on the seed ticks. No doubt we will see some postings on that in another month or so. I hate those buggers. I got seed ticks three different times late last summer. Once I was a really long way from my truck and my Permanone. I was in near panic mode on my run back.

Mike Belt

I can pick the stuff up and roll in it and it doesn't phase me until I scrape up the inside of my arms hanging stands and rub it into my skin. Then and only then does it bother me. The wife can break out just looking at it.

If you want something that works try Zanfel. It's for poison ivy, oak, and sumac and in most cases one treatment is all it takes. It's pricey...somewhere around $40 for a 1 oz. tube that provides about 12 treatments. One treatment provides instant relief from the itching and in all except severe cases generally knocks it out. I've never had to treat over twice.

brier rabbit

cut the ivy off at the ground and spray the cut ends with 2 4 d.
this will kill it fast. just pull the dead vine off the tree but
cover up.

Stalker

DoubleD said:
Not sure. She just said when the leaves fall off after a frost.But that mkes sense. It is still inside the vine just no leaves to make it rub on to us. But I wont be opening it up looking for anything.lol

Winchester is right...the vines are just as poisonous as the leaves, I know from experience as well. I get it in the fall and winter more than the spring and summer. I think it is because there is no visual on the "leaves of three let it be". I get it bad bad in the fall and winter. In the Summer I am constantly looking for it and "trying" to avoid it but I am one of the unlucky few who sees it and it is too late.

Stalker

BSK said:
Here's another interesting ridbit about poison ivy. Once you've been exposed and had a reaction, your histamine system remembers it. If you are exposed again, your histamine system will produce another rash in the same place, even if that part of your body wasn't exposed to the chemical a second time. In essence, you will get it in the old exposure location and the new

I believe this becasue no matter what I always get it on my arm in the exact location even if I get it some where else...

HOOK

DoubleD said:
According to the doctor After a freeze the leaves fall of the vine and it wont spread after that. She says only the leaves have the oil on them.

She's wrong. Even vines that have been cut and dead for a year can contain toxic oils that can still cause skin reactions if you come in contact with it.

plinker22

I feel your pain with Ivy on your hunting tree. If I know what trees I will hunt, I keep the ivy away from them a few times per year. Then, during hunting season, you do not have that worry.

BTW, when I cut and remove a large vine, I will take a litte bottle of Round-Up and feed it directly to the fresh cut end with a Q-tip. Kill the vine all the way down in the ground.