Poison Ivy / Oak

JWW4

The tree I want to put my stand on over my food plot is over run with the poison stuff. It goes up the tree 50 ft or so and covers the trunk all the way around. What is the best way to get rid of it without hurting the tree? Will Round Up work? If so do I need to spray all the way up the plant or just the base?

And

Once it is dead, how long do I need to wait before the plant is harmless to touch so I can pull it down?

Thanks
JWW4

Winchester

I would take a hatchet and simply cut all the vines near the ground and spray where they are growing from. Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when pulling it down.

WRF

From what I quickly read on a couple of internet sites after getting some the other day, I would go with Winchester's advice and be careful. Apparently the oil which causes an allergic reaction (the rash) affects the vast majority of us; even some who were once immune to it eventually get it and I think some even become immune to it over time. Either way most of us can get it. The oil can last for years, even after the plant dies. It can stay on your shirts, pants, gloves, etc. over the year so wash them after you cut it down. One example I read is if you get it on your hunting jacket and hang it up only to use it a year later, you may get hit again if the oil is still on the jacket. Do a google search to research. I need to go back myself. I think for most of us that there is a sense of urgency of 30 minutes to get it off of your skin after it gets on you in order to avoid a reaction. I cannot remember about washing, but there may have been some warning about not spreading it through a simple washing of the hands. There may have been something about applying rubbing alcohol first. Anyway, that was not much help, I suppose I should have researched it myself before responding.

woodchuckc

What Winchester said.

The vines will never be harmless to touch - the irritant chemical (urishinol???) doesn't break down over time, and is in the leaves and vines.

Tip: do not burn the vines and inhale any of the smoke - some of the irritant chemical gets vaporized and it is a great way to end up in the hospital - imagine oozing poison ivy sores in your airways and lungs!

gil1

From yesterday's "Tennessean" Newspaper... thought it was interesting the myths we learn...

The poison ivy rash is not contagious. In other words, it cannot spread from person to person.

You can get poison ivy from a dead plant. The resin is still active for up to 5 years.

Nobody is immune to poison ivy.

The more you are exposed to poison ivy, the more likely you are to break out.

Direct contact with the plant is the only way to be infected.

Breaking the blisters on the rash will not make it spread.

BSK

Nobody is immune to poison ivy.

Actually, people who have been exposed repeatedly to poison oak (more powerful than poison ivy) can become almost completely immune to poison ivy. I am. As a kid, I was exposed repeatedly to the much more power poison oak out west, and now I'm nearly completely immune to poison ivy. I've proven to disbelievers by rolling in the stuff and rubbing it all over me. I regularly swing on poison ivy vines. The only chance I have of getting a breakout is if I have a break in the skin, such as a scratch. Then I will get a mild line of bumps right down the scratch that disappear in a day or two. No itching.

Here's another interesting ridbit about poison ivy. Once you've been exposed and had a reaction, your histamine system remembers it. If you are exposed again, your histamine system will produce another rash in the same place, even if that part of your body wasn't exposed to the chemical a second time. In essence, you will get it in the old exposure location and the new.

My wife is so alergic to poison ivy that if she touches it with a finger, she will break out on every part of her body that has ever been exposed to it.

gil1

You're a lucky man. If I think about it, I get it.
Got a fishing/hunting buddy like that. He can wipe his arse with the stuff and never get it. Mosquitoes won't bite him either. Ticks me off!

I wondered about that when I read it in the paper. I'm just the messenger... :grin:

woodchuckc

My sister-in-law is extremely allergic to poision ivy / poison oak, etc. She can (and does) get a reaction if she has contact with a dog that has been in been in it. She has a boxer that gets out and rubs up against a tree in her backyard that has a big vine growing up it, and will break out within a couple of hours after having the dog rub up against her or if she pets it.

If you wash the body part that has come in contact with it very soon after exposure with COLD water and soap, you can avoid a bad case of the rash. If you use hot water to wash with, that helps the oil to penetrate through the skin and increases blood flow to that region which will result in a more severe rash.

BSK

There is also a product you can wash with that breaks down the oils. I think it's called "tecnu" or something like that.

Winchester

Im pretty well immune under normal conditions. I have to literally break the vines and rub them all over to get it. Thought I was totally immune myself until a few years ago, was hanging a loc on and literally tearing vines larger than my thumb off and breaking them out of the way. I ended up with my first bad case all over my face.

HOOK

Any soap will break down the oils as well as isopropal alcohol. Tyipically, exposed skin should be thorougly washed within 60 minutes of exposure. However, for mitigatave measures, Ivy Block, sold in most stores, is EXTREMELY effective in preveting absorbtion of the toxic oils if applied pre-entry.

Andy S.

My Dermatologist prescribed me "Temovate Cream" (topical steroid) five years ago when I experienced a bad case of poison ivy. By FAR the best topical cream I have ever used, and I have used many. I have continued to use it for the last five years and it still amazes me with it's healing ability. It reliefs all itching/burning in 12-36hrs and completely clears up the sores in 2-4 days.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I'm glad that I'm not allergic to it. Its the chiggers that live on or near the stuff that skeer me.

trealtree

Gil, dont you know not to believe anything in the tennessean. I hate poison IVY I used to get it all the time until I started spraying down with Right Guard deodorant. It blocks the oils from touching your skin...well it works for me.

gil1

J&JGUIDE said:
Gil, dont you know not to believe anything in the tennessean. I hate poison IVY I used to get it all the time until I started spraying down with Right Guard deodorant. It blocks the oils from touching your skin...well it works for me.
I'm sure you smell very manly and don't perspire in the woods, but I wouldn't want Ultragel Sport Invisible Cool-Peak shyt slathered head to toe when I go afeeshin'! :grin:

My phobia - not snakes, spiders, bees, or poisonous plants. Seed ticks will make me scream like a little girl! :eek:

trealtree

You dont use the stick deodorant goober...lol Use the "Spray" you get it at the dollar store for about 2 dollars. I spray it all over and it really doesnt smell at all after it dries. It works in potato guns also.

Latest posts