Newbie Smoker Questions

Specializedjon

Just bought a Oklahoma Joe's (Highland) offset smoker and have a few questions....bare with me. Do I need the baffle plate or can I get by without it. Looking to add a thermometer or two to it, necessary?. Do I also need to have the internal probe/thermometer? What's a good meat thermometer? I've been looking at YouTube for all the seasoning tips and fire management info, etc. I'm geekin out over it. I've started hoarding wood, oak, mesquite, pecan, apple, etc. Any suggestions and receipts (brisket, sausage, pork) would be appreciated.

backyardtndeer

I cannot answer the questions specific to that smoker. For the thermometer, I use my instant more than anything, don't remember the brand, came from walmart. I actually need a new one now, old one got wet when someone(wife dropped it in sink full of water) washed it and went to acting screwy. The probe in the masterbuilt I have is nice to let me know when meat is close and it is within less than 5 degrees of my instant.

Pecan and hickory are my most often used wood, I have plenty around. Cook more chicken and turkey than anything else followed by pork. Use apple and crabapple some as well as mesquite, but I have to buy mesquite.

TAFKAP

Just bought a Oklahoma Joe's (Highland) offset smoker and have a few questions....bare with me. Do I need the baffle plate or can I get by without it. Looking to add a thermometer or two to it, necessary?. Do I also need to have the internal probe/thermometer? What's a good meat thermometer? I've been looking at YouTube for all the seasoning tips and fire management info, etc. I'm geekin out over it. I've started hoarding wood, oak, mesquite, pecan, apple, etc. Any suggestions and receipts (brisket, sausage, pork) would be appreciated.
I have an old Char Broil offset barrel, and it didn't come with a thermometer. I bought a grill thermometer from Walmart to measure the temp of the chamber. It fit the hole just right. If It's critical, I use a meat thermometer when I'm cooking, but its not very often.

When I first bought the thing, I wiped it all down inside with vegetable oil, got a real good sheen on it, and burned a whole sack of charcoal to season it. Got real drunk that night because everyone was drinking beer waiting for the grill to season so we could cook on it :D

mike243

You need a gauge to tell what temp your cooking at , I use Inkbird remote 6x therms and they work well for the price, a instant read will work fine to tell you when stuff is done, they don't cost a lot and will make food more enjoyable imo.

brassmagnet

I've got a Chargriller Acorn since it was just me and my wife. 16 inch cast iron round cooking area. I can get a spatchcock chicken or a whole rack of spareribs at 200°or 225° by adjusting the vents. I think I have 4 thermometers. As for rubs,salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, paprika and brown sugar to taste, maybe some thyme or oregano. I usually sit the meat in the fridge morning before, rub that night, fire up the smoker next day. I can get it up to 650ish for pizza. Love it.

Specializedjon

Got'er all seasoned up last night. Now, I need to play with the fire and vents to manage the temps.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 41

waynesworld

I have one of those and what i did was create a plate that went above the hole that the smoke comes in and spreads the heat over the whole area. Had very inconsistent heat with out it. Liked it and used a lot but now i am spoiled on pellet grills for smoking.

Latest posts