May be getting a smoker

Black Titan

Thinking of picking up an Oklahoma Joes Highland offset smoker. Ive used an electric smoker in the past, and just used the chips sold in bags.

For a true stick burner, I'd like to try some different hard woods. For you East Tennessee guys, where do ya'll get your seasoned splits? I'd like some applewood, hickory, pecan, and a few others to try.

Any "boutique" rubs you would recommend for ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, whole chickens? I'll probably stick with the grocery store McKormick stuff at first, just to get my feet wet but would like to venture into some better rubs.

BT

UCStandSitter

Thinking of picking up an Oklahoma Joes Highland offset smoker. Ive used an electric smoker in the past, and just used the chips sold in bags.

For a true stick burner, I'd like to try some different hard woods. For you East Tennessee guys, where do ya'll get your seasoned splits? I'd like some applewood, hickory, pecan, and a few others to try.

Any "boutique" rubs you would recommend for ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, whole chickens? I'll probably stick with the grocery store McKormick stuff at first, just to get my feet wet but would like to venture into some better rubs.

BT
Check out Killer Hogs for your rubs. When I look to those who know BBQ, it's hard to beat a 450lb boy from Mississippi… Everything Malcolm makes is incredible. Made tons of his recipes and not once have I been disappointed. You'll look like a rockstar for following simple instructions. His YT channel is How to BBQ Right

Atchman2

Check out Killer Hogs for your rubs. When I look to those who know BBQ, it's hard to beat a 450lb boy from Mississippi… Everything Malcolm makes is incredible. Made tons of his recipes and not once have I been disappointed. You'll look like a rockstar for following simple instructions. His YT channel is How to BBQ Right
Amen, I didn't know of that guy until recently and all of his advice is ROCK solid. I'm sure his rubs and stuff are great as well!

Atchman2

I have a stick smoker and an electric. Honestly I like the electric the best. Far easier to control temperature than to stand out in the hot summer weather tending the fire.

The last Hickory I bought was off of Craigslist. It wasn't cheap either!

jc0313

Another vote for Malcom Reed, that guy knows his BBQ!

Black Titan

Just watched a couple of this guys vids on YouTube. Now I'm in a meat coma, and haven't even eaten anything. Good lord that man can make some good looking ribs. WOW.

BT

UCStandSitter

Just watched a couple of this guys vids on YouTube. Now I'm in a meat coma, and haven't even eaten anything. Good lord that man can make some good looking ribs. WOW.

BT
Make sure you really think through this before making it for family and friends. I am now on the hook to make these regularly for fam, friends, church, etc. Turns into a lot of work after awhile. I keep sharing the video but somehow I'm the one always doin the work. That said, you try these and you'll never want wings any other way:

Black Titan

Make sure you really think through this before making it for family and friends. I am now on the hook to make these regularly for fam, friends, church, etc. Turns into a lot of work after awhile. I keep sharing the video but somehow I'm the one always doin the work. That said, you try these and you'll never want wings any other way:

Those look delicious. What kind of smoker do you use?

BT

TAFKAP

BT

I've used that style for 18 years. Still burning in the same Char Broil barrel that I bought when Mrs. TAFKAP and I bought our first house. I mostly buy lump hardwood charcoal for it. But for the past two winters, I've bought pallets of hickory firewood to burn in the fireplace. I specifically sought out hickory so I could cook with it as well. I'll burn down a couple sticks of hickory, and cook over those coals. With all the monster storms this past July, there's hardwood to be found all over my neighborhood too. Some dude up the street from me lost a cherry tree, and he slabbed out 12" long logs so he could carry them to the curb. I loaded them all up and have already started cooking with it.

Not sure what you mean by "boutique" rubs, but the guys at Fire and Smoke Society have some really good off-the-shelf products. Walmart is the biggest retailer I've seen that carries their products. But check out their online store for the whole product line.

If I'm not using their stuff, I make my own using a kitchen scale. I weigh out 600g of brown sugar & 1000g of salt. From there, I just add a ton of garlic & onion powders, crank black pepper until my arm falls off, and paprika until the color works out. Sometimes cayenne, sometimes not. No two batches ever taste the same. But it's sort of a mix between Cajun seasoning & basic BBQ rub. Sometimes I'll throw some thyme and oregano in there for a little variation. But once I get it blended together pretty well, I use it on any chicken and most pork.

TAFKAP

I would like to find some of that as well. Just need to find a local supply so I don't end up using the Kingsford chunks and what not.

BT

In Memphis, there are a few tree companies that have started selling firewood pallets. I call around to see who has the specific wood I'm looking for.

Black Titan

Traeger. I am lazy. I care more about the end result than getting on BBQ pitmasters as a contestant. I just want the food baby!

I like the pellet style but want to give the stick burner a go. I've toyed with the idea of just getting the cheap "char broil" $98 smoker from Amazon and fixing all its flaws with the welder, but then I'm still stuck with a smaller cooking surface than what I would like.

I'm torn between the OK Joe's Highland and the Longhorn. The longhorn is bigger, but with a substantial price increase for only about 20% more cooking area.

BT

UCStandSitter

I like the pellet style but want to give the stick burner a go. I've toyed with the idea of just getting the cheap "char broil" $98 smoker from Amazon and fixing all its flaws with the welder, but then I'm still stuck with a smaller cooking surface than what I would like.

I'm torn between the OK Joe's Highland and the Longhorn. The longhorn is bigger, but with a substantial price increase for only about 20% more cooking area.

BT
If handy with the welder and want stick, I'd just build my own. I am not a good welder at all and I'm lazy so... :)

lafn96

Have both a pellet and an off-set smoker. Pellet smokers are great for convenience and ease of cooking; but they simply do not give the same flavor an off-set does. I have an electric thermostat/blower for my off-set that makes managing the temp much, much easier; and would recommend a similar set-up for anyone using a stick-burner.

If I'm pressed for time, or just don't feel like managing the fire for hours; I'll use my pellet smoker. If I want to make the absolute best meal possible, I'll use my off-set.

My go-to rub is Bovine Bold; buy it in 5 lb bags and it's pretty cheap compared to buying rubs that are in individual shaker bottles.

UCStandSitter

Have both a pellet and an off-set smoker. Pellet smokers are great for convenience and ease of cooking; but they simply do not give the same flavor an off-set does. I have an electric thermostat/blower for my off-set that makes managing the temp much, much easier; and would recommend a similar set-up for anyone using a stick-burner.

If I'm pressed for time, or just don't feel like managing the fire for hours; I'll use my pellet smoker. If I want to make the absolute best meal possible, I'll use my off-set.

My go-to rub is Bovine Bold; buy it in 5 lb bags and it's pretty cheap compared to buying rubs that are in individual shaker bottles.
As a Traeger guy, I agree with this. Pellet smokers are hitting the easy button. I have made better stuff on stick smokers in the past but the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me. It's a lot of work to tend. The benefit of the Traeger and WiFi is I can run out the store or do whatever errands I need to do and still keep an eye on things. I don't have to be there to tend the flame, etc. I would wager I could get 85-90% close to stick with Traeger. Usually good enough for me. If you want competition level results stick with the sticks. :)

EDIT:
Came back to comment on the title here, no "MAY". Definitely get a smoker. Whether pellet or stick. Get something and get smoking. Great hobby that can keep the better half happy as well. :)

Black Titan

As a Traeger guy, I agree with this. Pellet smokers are hitting the easy button. I have made better stuff on stick smokers in the past but the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me. It's a lot of work to tend. The benefit of the Traeger and WiFi is I can run out the store or do whatever errands I need to do and still keep an eye on things. I don't have to be there to tend the flame, etc. I would wager I could get 85-90% close to stick with Traeger. Usually good enough for me. If you want competition level results stick with the sticks. :)

EDIT:
Came back to comment on the title here, no "MAY". Definitely get a smoker. Whether pellet or stick. Get something and get smoking. Great hobby that can keep the better half happy as well. :)

I might just have to do it to prove that to her. The "may" part at this moment is solely because of the better half haha. I may have to deal with her being ticked off until the first couple of meals come off the smoker for her to finally be like "you know what, im glad you got this thing!"

BT

UCStandSitter

I might just have to do it to prove that to her. The "may" part at this moment is solely because of the better half haha. I may have to deal with her being ticked off until the first couple of meals come off the smoker for her to finally be like "you know what, im glad you got this thing!"

BT
You make those wings she'll be 100% onboard. Ultimately the wife was the deciding factor on the Traeger because it could replace the grill as well which had seen better days. Also it was easy for her to use and fire up.

Latest posts