Smoker recipes

Jon

Hard to beat a good old pork butt for pulled pork. Get you a Boston butt, whatever size you want. Cover it in the rub of your choice and smoke until around 160-165 degrees internal temperature. Remove from smoker and wrap tightly in two or three layers of foil and return to the smoker. Smoking is done at this point. Continue on the smoker until it reaches 205 degrees internal temperature. Wrap foiled butt in a towel and put in an empty cooler for 1-2 hours. The open it up and pull it. Will most likely be the best you have ever tasted.

backyardtndeer

Soak your butt or whole turkeys in a brine solution for 24 hours. I use coarse kosher salt and brown sugar for my brine mix, about one cup of brown sugar and 1/2 to 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water. I mostly use hickory for pork and turkey.

lafn96

When smoking anything, it's strongly suggested to take the meat out of the fridge for at least an hour prior to putting on the smoker. Also strongly suggest getting a bluetooth thermometer so you can see on your phone what the smoker and meat temps are.

Reverse seared steak - any steak, but thick cuts work better. Season and put on smoker, I like 225-250; but if you need it done faster you can cook it as high as you want. Remove at 115 or so; then either grill it on high heat or use a cast iron skillet with melted butter in it to sear it. Will not need more than a minute a side if you like it rare, and adjust the time to how you like them.

Venison backstrap - I like to marinate overnight with mccormicks brown sugar and bourbon marinade mix. Last 30 min, sprinkle and mix in a teaspoon of baking soda. Be sure to rinse and pat dry; especially if you used the baking soda (helps tenderize). Smoke at 225 until it hits 115 for really rare; 125 for medium. Wrap it when you take it off, and let it rest for a bit before slicing.

bigquacks

Also strongly suggest getting a bluetooth thermometer so you can see on your phone what the smoker and meat temps are.
I just started using a smoker and this tool has been great. Can watch the smoker temp and has 3 other probes for what ever you are cooking. Try some smoked mac and cheese

mike243

Use lumberJack or Kingsford pellets, the Traeger pellets has oil for the flavoring while the 2 I listed are 100% flavor wood, take your meat out of fridge straight to the smoker, you are supposed to hit 140 internal in 4 hours, your not helping anything letting it set outside of the fridge. you can run low temps for a hour or 2 then wind it up, I use a smoke tube you can get at walmart for about $20, I load strips of hickory shag bark then pack pellets down beside it, light let burn for 5 minutes the blow out, look up smoking meat forum, lot of good info there, I am there as the same name lol

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
You will find lots of good opinions from different people. Funny thing is, they all may be "right." Try a few things out and decide what you like best.

One thing I will say… try several different meats before tackling a brisket. Briskets are more expensive and can be more "picky" to get right. And don't Texas crutch a brisket, as it can turn out similar to a roast, which isn't bad, but isn't as good as a regular brisket. Some may disagree.

I like butts wet brined as well as well as dry brined. They are both just different, I don't think either is better or worse. I do not like wrapping them while on the smoker (Texas crutch), as it messes up the bark. But I do double wrap in foil and towels in a cooler after taking it off, let it rest for 2-3 hours.

Smoking chickens is nice, and I like to stuff them with onions and apples like a thanksgiving turkey.

I also like smoking chicken thighs instead of wings. Cheaper, meatier, and more flavorful. Try different rubs and sauces.

Look up 3-2-1 ribs and try one of the many variations of that. They are great, even if some "purists" don't like the method.

I like smoked stuffed backstrap, smoked roast, and have smoked turkeys for thanksgiving even though I don't like turkey… my family loved it.

Boll Weevil

Black Titan

Topshelf

Man if you've never done any smoking beer can chickens are hard to beat and super easy. Can't go wrong with them IMO

Latest posts