First Cook On New Smoker

BamaProud

I have that smoker. Its great, but man it sure burns through a lot of Charcoal if you are using it to grill. Is smokes great though.

Maybe your mods will help with grilling, but I can count on using a 20 pound bag any time I fire it up to grill.

Shag

I have that smoker. Its great, but man it sure burns through a lot of Charcoal if you are using it to grill. Is smokes great though.

Maybe your mods will help with grilling, but I can count on using a 20 pound bag any time I fire it up to grill.
It did seem to eat the heck of out charcoal to keep the temp where I wanted it. The wood I cut was still a little green so I figured that was part of the problem. I've always gotten away with that in previous smokers though.

I think my next mod to it will be adding 2 more temp gauges, just slightly above the lower rack at meat level.

Shag

I forgot you were a logger. Wild cherry is my favorite, never used red oak . I love white but red smells like dog crap to me. Pucketts bbq around here says they only use cherry. I'll have to try red now.
Green red oak does have a very specific stink to it! When Rib City first asked me about cutting wood for them and said they wanted red oak, I thought WTF? But I had eaten there many times and always liked their BBQ. Then I did some research and lots of folks consider red oak to be the king of cooking/smoking wood. I do absolutely LOVE it with beef.

Latest posts