New Article on CWD by Dr. Alan Houston, Ames Plantation

BigAl

There's some ag but nothing like w Tn. We're currently second to last on the kill report. But they way these people talk, deer don't exist there anymore. It's comical listening to the cwd gloom and doomers.
We still have a lot of deer. Just nowhere near what we had during the peak times. Personally, I like to see deer when I'm hunting.

BigAl

I'd prefer to see deer as well, but y'all have a long ways to go before it actually gets bad, and it's probably still better than it was 40 years ago.
Gotta go back a little farther. 40 years ago is when I started hunting. And I believe Hardeman Co had more deer now than then. I could be wrong as it might have just been where I was hunting.

Jcalder

Gotta go back a little farther. 40 years ago is when I started hunting. And I believe Hardeman Co had more deer now than then. I could be wrong as it might have just been where I was hunting.
I started in 1998. Deer were booming here, at least it felt like it. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the first days of Tn deer seasons tho, that was merely my point. I've heard lots of stories of just finding a deer track was big news, and if someone killed one people would travel a long ways just to see it.

fairchaser

Probably hunted 30 times this year from early October until now. The most number of deer I saw in one sit was 6. If I saw deer it was one or two. Half the sits, I saw zero deer.

A few years ago, you could see a deer unless it was early September. The number of decent bucks 3.5's anyway is still pretty good. Fewer than before but they are there. They are just nocturnal and are rarely available in daylight. The move just after dark and bed just before daylight. They may get up mid day for a bit. The exception is a hot doe, as usual.

Since there are fewer does, there are fewer hot does. The bucks have to search harder but they do it at night. I just wish we could lay off the does for a couple years. I think this would improve things overall.

Latest posts