New Article on CWD by Dr. Alan Houston, Ames Plantation

Omega

Not much new in that report, was hoping to read more about TN specific numbers, and plans to slow it down, though knowing Ames is 40% infected is news to me, and leads me to believe it was here much longer than reported, and or it is spreading like wildfire.

Jcalder

Gloomy information…this will cause the demise of deer hunting in TN and other areas if you extrapolate the data on down the road imo…sad
No, it really won't lol. This doom and gloom with cwd has pretty much already been debunked. I've spent a week in Wisconsin, whose had cwd far longer than we, and their population is thriving. I agree, reduce the spread, but it's not the end of the deer.

fairchaser

No, it really won't lol. This doom and gloom with cwd has pretty much already been debunked. I've spent a week in Wisconsin, whose had cwd far longer than we, and their population is thriving. I agree, reduce the spread, but it's not the end of the deer.
The article was pretty clear it's not the end of deer or deer hunting. The greatest impact is the effect it's had on venison consumption and the deer hunter. The deer herd will survive and may even thrive but I'm not sure the deer hunter will be as fortunate without a change in mindset about CWD.

Jcalder

The article was pretty clear it's not the end of deer or deer hunting. The greatest impact is the effect it's had on venison consumption and the deer hunter. The deer herd will survive and may even thrive but I'm not sure the deer hunter will be as fortunate without a change in mindset about CWD.
I'm gonna disagree. Obviously if you have a deer in question get it checked and disposed of if positive, but it sure hasn't affected the hunter that's dealt with it for 20+ years.

fairchaser

I'm gonna disagree. Obviously if you have a deer in question get it checked and disposed of if positive, but it sure hasn't affected the hunter that's dealt with it for 20+ years.
I've been dealing with it for the last 3-4 years and it's affected me. I've built a lifestyle around deer hunting for over 40 years and I haven't eaten any venison in the last 3 years even though I've killed several deer and donated them or attempted to donate them to HFTH. The desire to kill has certainly diminished and I still will hunt some, I've started moving away from the tradition. I know others who have done the same. It will never be as good IMO.

timberjack86

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

Headhunter

I agree with Jcalder. CWD has been around since the 1960's. Unless people start dying from CWD, I don't see much of anything changing.

Omega

I don't know, I have seen many post that they will not eat venison they have not got a test result for, and many have just stopped hunting deer as much. With the dwindling numbers of hunters already, I see this having an impact in the number of new hunters if they keep up the doom and gloom reporting of CWD. I am more concerned with the lone star tick giving me Alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) than eating venison giving me Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

TheLBLman

Most of us reading/posting here on TNdeer are much more knowledgeable about the risks (or lack thereof) in personally consuming CWD contaminated venison, so regarding just that, I agree, the threat of CWD may not change much about our personal deer hunting.

But it's an entirely different circumstance with the "average" TN deer hunter, as well as their non-hunting family & friends. They have reservations about eating venison, therefore, the supplier of that venison is going to deer hunt less, and kill far fewer female deer for any human's consumption.

The above only deals with the issue of EATING venison, and how less desire to eat it, effects the average deer hunter's desire to deer hunt and kill deer.

TheLBLman

For many of us more "avid" deer hunters, the bigger issue may become the inability to be "hunter-managers" managing localized deer herds we hunt in the biologically sound manners we've been taught, such as having deer harvest goals closer to a balanced sex harvest instead of "buck only".

Having little ability to "manage" our lands for more better balanced buck:doe ratios and an older buck age structure becomes near impossible with the TWRA's "Unit CWD" deer hunting regulations. These regs more or less take us back to the 1990's days of an 11-buck limit, and most hunters not wanting to shoot a doe.

Doe will remain legal in Unit CWD, but most hunters have lost their desire to kill a doe, because most people don't want to eat venison any more, due to the the fear-mongering about CWD.

And it only gets worse.
Due to the new CWD regulations combined with fewer people be even willing to eat venison,
MOST DEER PROCESSING FACILITIES IN "UNIT CWD" counties of TN have CLOSED DOWN!
Not having a "convenient" way for processing deer, this alone will decrease both deer hunting and deer killing.

I was just notified that Yoder Brothers in Henry County, TN is closing down its deer processing facility. They will NOT be processing deer this fall. Yoder Brothers has long-term been one of the largest deer processors in the State of TN.

As to what deer will be killed, it will be mainly bucks, for their antlers, not the meat.

Unfortunately, there will be relatively few bucks 3 1/2 or older in CWD areas (at least after a year or two of the CWD regs). This will cause those longterm "old" accomplished & avid deer hunters to do one of three things:

1) They will go to other counties & states to deer hunt;
2) They will more or less just quit deer hunting;
3) They will die.

I put the "They will die" there because this was already a huge issue, even before CWD regs. Most of the deer hunting, particularly the financial carrying of large deer leases, is being done by "older" avid deer hunters, most of whom are north of Age 65. We were already dying out faster than younger hunters were replacing us. Now many of us are simply leaving the sport sooner, and will no longer be willing to pay high lease prices for greatly devalued deer hunting acreage, which will in turn make many these lands less or unavailable to younger deer hunters.

Note how large deer leases are struggling to find new members to replace those either dying or leaving the sport. The nail in the coffin is when your county is declared a CWD county by TWRA.

Just to be clear, I am not personally so worried about CWD as I am how CWD has been fear-mongered to the general public, and how statewide regulations have been changed to address CWD. This is a case where the treatment may be worse than the disease.

TheLBLman

You'll have deer. They just won't live to be very old. Likely SOL if you're a horn hunter.
Very correct.
And, the overall herd health will be greatly reduced for a variety of reasons,
the least of which may be CWD.

Despite the frequent claims many deer hunters make to the contrary,
MOST deer hunters are in fact "horn" hunters.

This is in the context that when a doe is standing beside a "nice" antlered buck,
which of those two deer will MOST deer hunters normally choose to shoot?
Just saying, the pursuit of antlers is one of the factors for which most deer hunting takes place. Take away that factor, the desire for deer hunting is reduced.

For thousands of years, hunters have been fascinated by antlers, and it must be something in our DNA. Most of us also consume the meat from the animals we kill, and being a "horn hunter" is nothing for which to be ashamed. I consider myself more a "hunter-manager" conservationist who enjoys hunting and dining on the wild game I hunt. I also keep the antlers from the bucks I also enjoy eating and the sharing of that venison with family & friends.

Latest posts