need a new treestand

tree_ghost

I really like lone wolf but i am concerned my back my not tolerate one. I have an alpha and I love it but for some reason is hurts my back terribly. Maybe the sit and climb wouldn't be as bad. IDK that aftermarket seat might be the trick.
That silent seat is really something else. Supper quiet and extremely comfortable

Joe2Kool

I like the Viper. Have 3-4 of them. 6-1" 180 pounds.

Although it is a pain to carry. But I think sll tree stannds are. The tree stand manufacturers and back pack manufacterers need to get together and make one comfortable to carry!!

david k.

58 years old, 5'10" and 225lbs....I have 3 Vipers with Hazemore seats on all of them. I noticed that I see more deer when I'm standing (more alert I suppose?) so I probably am standing 80-90% of the time I'm in a treestand so I also ditched the plastic stirrups. Having them out of the way allows me to stand and turn in any direction without ever having to worry about tripping over them...I replaced them with paracord straps that I simply push out of the way when I get to the height I want to hunt.

I bought an Old man Grand Vision (I think) climber from a member on here about 5 years ago. The stand is great and I really love it. Unfortunately I noticed that its wore out in a way that I think is going to cause some safety issues and need to replace it. I contacted Ol man stands and they explained that it was made before they acquired the company and they couldn't sell me any parts for it.

I am in the market for a new climbing stand now. I prefer aluminum stand and also I want a stand with the honeycomb on the platform vs. the bars.

The only aluminum climbing stand I've seen with the honeycomb platform is an API climber. Does anyone know anything about API? are they a good brand? I tried to link the climber but unfortunately I can't because my work computer has many websites it deems not "safe".
I bought a Hawk climber this year but just used it a couple weeks ago for the first time and really like it. It has the honeycomb platform and a net seat like Ole Man. It bites into the tree really good too. It's light to carry, folds flat and sits comfy. I'm 5'10" and 210 and no spring chicken either. I'll change back pack straps though. I don't care for what came with it.

david k.

You sure you didn't get a viper mini? It's a viper but smaller.. I'm 6'1 250 and only feel tight in the viper when I'm dressed in heavy coat and bibs
I found that changing from the thick Summit Viper seats to the Hazemore Net seat made the stands feel a lot bigger.....the net seats are certainly not as comfortable as the original Viper seats....they aren't terrible though.....the original seats are more of a sling and make you sit much lower in the stand. With them I felt like I either had to "chicken wing" my arms or wedge them down inside the armrest tubes. The Hazemore allows me to sit much higher in the stand and it slides completely out of the way silently if I need to stand and turn to take a shot with a bow or if nature calls....

Quicker to pack, quieter to set-up and take down and lighter to carry are also benefits I see with the Hazemore.

tn gunman

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs I've hunted out of about every brand of climbing stand, and a Summit Viper is hands down my favorite it fits me just fine. A Viper seems to fit together tight and pack in the woods quietly, and there are several seat options like the Hazemore that was mentioned, they bite the tree and hold better than most stands IMO, and if you add a set of MOLLIE straps and Kidney belt and it makes long packs way easier, it seems to make the stand feel considerably lighter, which this modification will work on any brand of treestand that you choose, and is one that I highly recommend.

double browtine

gary66

I haven't used a top and bottom of the same stand in many years. I found a bottom that is near perfect and switch up tops. If it's the top that's wore out just buy some used stands you think you will like and try them out.

The bottom I use was made by Northstar called the tree cat archery, super light, folds flat, has a large base and adjustable with the squeeze of a lever. It uses a heavy duty belt with no teeth attached to a bungie. If you pull out the bungie side before climbing just squeeze the lever and the belt retracts. I cut a piece of ergo mat and tied it to the base with para cord. It does 2 things, make my feet movement silent and being black rubber, any sun causes it to heat up, keeps my feet warm.

I switch between a lonewolf hand climber and a summit top. If I want to hunt hard the LW which in itself is super light puts the top and bottom together at around 12 pounds and that's with the ergo mat. The LW isn't easy to climb with and the seat is just a rest like a truck bumper, but that's about all that's wrong with it, near perfect for those who are out there to hunt, great for bow hunting. The Summit top is much easier to climb with, a much better seat, but a lot noisier, bulkier to climb with and not easily adjustable. The teeth on a Summit are also too sharp, many people grind them down some so they don't bury themselves in the trunk every step up the tree. Usually take it during gun season

Mix it up, I think you'll be happier. If you do buy a new one and the base of the old is good give a mix a try.

camoman270

I bought an Old man Grand Vision (I think) climber from a member on here about 5 years ago. The stand is great and I really love it. Unfortunately I noticed that its wore out in a way that I think is going to cause some safety issues and need to replace it. I contacted Ol man stands and they explained that it was made before they acquired the company and they couldn't sell me any parts for it.

I am in the market for a new climbing stand now. I prefer aluminum stand and also I want a stand with the honeycomb on the platform vs. the bars.

The only aluminum climbing stand I've seen with the honeycomb platform is an API climber. Does anyone know anything about API? are they a good brand? I tried to link the climber but unfortunately I can't because my work computer has many websites it deems not "safe".
Love my Summitt, no honeycomb, but 16#'s, came with mesh seat and lacks nothing In comfort, portability, and safety, and quietness. Best investment I ever made in a treestand. Of course it's aluminum. I can sit it on the ground at the base of the tree, and within 5 minutes I am up and seated. A " prerequisite for any stand I would consider. I use buckles to quickly detach from my carrying it and I use small ball bungees to quiet the two pieces hauled together in addition to the locking strap included with it.

Nsghunter

Just out of curiosity, what is it that's broken or that's the safety issue on the Ol'man?
Firstly, the stand is really old and I knew when I bought it it had a shorter life than a new one.

One of the end caps got busted and reveled there is some rust inside the arm that pivots and holds the cable, on the platform portion. I'm not a tree stand expert but the rust looks more severe than surface rust. I grow concerned that it might break at this point while climbing or in a precarious position (Like things tend to do.). The seat seems to be dry rotted and the tree straps are dry rotted and the buckles are busting. The seat wont really slide back and forth or open easily, it also makes a scratching noise when I slide it down the rail.

The thing that will put the stand out of commission will be the rusted arm, I don't know how to post pictures anymore or I would post them. I believe I can order more straps and a seat. Once I saw that rusted area I grew concerned.

I had a friend fall from a stand last year and end up permanently disabled. His fall has had me reevaluate all my gear and techniques this season. I wear my safety gear and all but I don't want to risk it.

Latest posts