PFD for 13 Year Old

nso123

I understand that inflatable PFDs are not considered as a PFD for 16 and under, but there is not a requirement for 13 and up to wear a PFD. If my 13 year old is wearing an inflatable PFD, but there is also a standard PFD available for him on the boat, does this meet the requirements? He wants to wear one while we fish, but gets so hot in a traditional PFD.

Lt.Dan

I understand that inflatable PFDs are not considered as a PFD for 16 and under, but there is not a requirement for 13 and up to wear a PFD. If my 13 year old is wearing an inflatable PFD, but there is also a standard PFD available for him on the boat, does this meet the requirements? He wants to wear one while we fish, but gets so hot in a traditional PFD.
The way I read it yes, it meets the requirements.
1. Over 12 years not required to wear a PFD
2. If a person chooses to wear a PFD that is not USCG approved (when not specifically required [see #1]), a properly fitting USCG- PFD must be carried on board the vessel to meet the state and federal requirements.

You are reading it right. He is not required to wear a PDF at all times. You are required to have a USCG approved PDF for everyone on the vessel. What the rule says to me is that inflatable PFDs are only approved for those 16 years of age and up as a legal requirement. Under 16 you must have the non inflatable PFD on board. And of course 12 and under must wear them at all times when on deck.

nso123

The way I read it yes, it meets the requirements.
1. Over 12 years not required to wear a PFD
2. If a person chooses to wear a PFD that is not USCG approved (when not specifically required [see #1]), a properly fitting USCG- PFD must be carried on board the vessel to meet the state and federal requirements.

You are reading it right. He is not required to wear a PDF at all times. You are required to have a USCG approved PDF for everyone on the vessel. What the rule says to me is that inflatable PFDs are only approved for those 16 years of age and up as a legal requirement. Under 16 you must have the non inflatable PFD on board. And of course 12 and under must wear them at all times when on deck.
That's how I'm reading it too. He's 5'10 and 135 pounds, so he's plenty big for the inflatable to also fit him right. I'm sure the under 16 thing is just easier for them to deal with than trying to do height and weight requirements.

Tenntrapper

You probably already know this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Even a USCG approved inflatable life vest does NOT count as one...unless it's being worn.

scn

You probably already know this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Even a USCG approved inflatable life vest does NOT count as one...unless it's being worn.
Actually, that is not 100% correct.

The inflatable vests classified as a Type V pfd are required to be worn to count as a legal pfd. But, there are certain inflatables on the market that actually are classified as a Type 3 PFD for recreational use that don't require it to be worn to "count" as a pfd. Interestingly enough, if they are used for commercial use, they are classified as a Type V and they are required to be worn to be legal. I would guess that a guided fishing trip would trigger the commercial use.

The key to classification and use (must be worn, or not required to be worn) will be found on the USCG tag on the pfd. It will state if it has to be worn to "count".

For the original questions, if there is a legal pfd in the boat for the under 16 (meets the weight requirement), there is nothing wrong with the youngster wearing the inflatable. The exception to that would be if they were in a section of a lake/river below a dam where it is mandatory for all boaters to be wearing a legal pfd. Since the wearable is not legal for them under the age of 16, they would need to be wearing a pfd that is approved for them.

scn

That's how I'm reading it too. He's 5'10 and 135 pounds, so he's plenty big for the inflatable to also fit him right. I'm sure the under 16 thing is just easier for them to deal with than trying to do height and weight requirements.
I suspect in addition to the height/weight issues that thought was given to the ability of an under 16 to be able to find and pull the inflation cord if it isn't an automatic inflator. It is a situation where panic can kick in if one goes in the water unexpectedly even for an adult.

But, I have zero doubt that having an inflatable on is much better than not wearing one on at all.

Latest posts