Muzzleloader discharge

BirdDog123

This may just be a coincidental occurence this season but I swear that when I shoot my muzzleloader the deer react to it far less than with my normal rifle.

When I shoot my rifle they head for the hills and run for miles. I have had several hunts with my muzzleloader this year where I shoot, they may get spooked at first.. but then just go right back to their usual business. One instance I shot a deer, it dropped right in front of a doe, and the doe just stood there. Long enoguh for me to reload and shoot again!! (of course I missed)

Anyone else noticed this or is just coincidental?

Winchester

For sure! The black powder MZ's dont seem to spook deer near as bad as a centerfire rifle. I thinks its more of a 'boom' with the MZ, vs the sharp 'crack' of a rifle. I definitely have had the same results in earlier years when I used a Black powder mz.

huntinkev

Yep I have noticed it the last several years also. There is definitely more of a reaction for High powered rifle.

pressfit

I think its because they havent heard many shots when Ml opens.. by the time rifle comes around they know when a kaboom goes off to clear out.. someone is going to hit the ground..

Rubberduck270

pressfit said:
I think its because they havent heard many shots when Ml opens.. by the time rifle comes around they know when a kaboom goes off to clear out.. someone is going to hit the ground..
Yup. You can get by with a lot more things early season than you can right now.

Harold Money jr

I have had many more three deer killings with a muzzleloader than with a rifle. Most of the time I kill one or two with others watching or coming in at the same time. I have thought a leveraction 45-70 or 30-30 loaded with black powder could be the best deer killing machines in brushy areas where I hunt.

Latest posts