Straight wall cartridges for muzzleloader?

If straight wall cartridges become legal during muzzleloader will you use them?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jcalder

i have a savage smokeless and it is a great gun- but i hate trinkets, and it takes trinkets to make them go boom. special powder , primers, weighing powder/powder scales etc, - A single shot straight wall, would just be gun and a bullet. i usually take my bow during muzzy anyway because it is just easier.
Powder, scales, primers, aren't require for straight walled cases?

1984dog

Shotguns aren't legal in IL during the ML season unless it is a very recent change.

Muzzleloaders ARE legal during their second gun hunt.
Illinois does have a dedicated 3 day muzzleloader only gun season. They have 2 gun seasons in which you can use a ML if you like. Illinois just started to allow straight wall rifle cartridges during the gun season (well defined) where they used to only allow shotguns using slugs (no buckshot). You can not use a high powered rifle such as a 33-30, 30-06, 270, 6.5 CM, 243 and etc in Illinois. I think Iowa has the same type of rules.

1984dog

I'm from Mississippi. 40 years ago, Mississippi had a ML season that typically ran from Dec 2 - Dec 15th. Where I hunted, it was peak rut and I basically had the woods to myself and had an absolute blast. Back then, you could only use powder (no pellets) and scopes were not allowed. ML hunting had basically a 75 yd range and sometimes your gun did not fire (or had a delayed fire) - it was fun and challenging.

Mississippi then changed regulations to allow straight wall cartridges and scopes during primitive weapon season and now they allow weapon of choice on private land. I did not like the change - but my brother reminded me that no one is stopping you from hunting with your old TC Renegade.

Today, ML technology has changes so much that there is not much difference between ML and using a straight wall (444, 45-70 etc. with a scope). I have a Traditions Nitrofire and scope, but it is basically a mechanism to improve odds of drawing a tag in Illinois, Kansas and Iowa. My TC Renegade and 444 Marlin have become safe queens.

Jcalder

I'm completely satisfied with it. IMO if a big puff of smoke doesn't come out of it it's not a muzzleloader. For some odd reason I like the smell 😂
When I first started using blackhorn it was something to get used to that you could actually see after the shot lol. I really don't have an issue with the substitutes, but not having to clean after every session is such a game changer.

JeepKuntry

Combine the price for a ML and gun stamp so no lost revenue. Archery, gun and use what you want. Modern ML's are almost as accurate as rifles.

Wooden Arrow

What about just having "deer season", and let people choose what weapon they want to hunt with.
if i choose to bowhunt, will i then have to dress like a deranged UT football fan all of the time? :D for my own safety, no doubt. :rolleyes: isn't there some rule about "making sure of your target" before squeezing off a shot? hmmm...

Latest posts