Straight wall cartridges for muzzleloader?

If straight wall cartridges become legal during muzzleloader will you use them?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lost Lake

I'd rather go the other direction and only allow flint or cap lock before I'd want to allow CENTERFIRE during muzzleloader.

Some things are supposed to have certain levels of difficulty, and they might not be for everyone. I just don't understand the mentality of making everything easy. What's next, does everyone get a free participation trophy with their muzzleloader license?

Tenntrapper

I would prefer to see ML become more primitive. ML's are basically as effective as rifles in the hardwoods anyway.
I hunted with a side lock for many years. In all honesty...it got to easy, so I quit. The deer haven't really been pressured, and you can (or should be able to) get very close. I have nothing against SMLs, but I wouldn't allow them in the ML season either. I just don't think either falls within the spirit of hunting with a ML. My personal opinion...it should be side lock or flintlock....and possibly patched round ball. My only reservation with round ball is on game performance, otherwise that would also be a requirement. Heck, I wouldn't even be opposed to making it smooth bore... 😂
I just feel like these modern advancements in ML technology have moved away from the original spirit of the ML season.

Lost Lake

I hunted with a side lock for many years. In all honesty...it got to easy, so I quit. The deer haven't really been pressured, and you can (or should be able to) get very close. I have nothing against SMLs, but I wouldn't allow them in the ML season either. I just don't think either falls within the spirit of hunting with a ML. My personal opinion...it should be side lock or flintlock....and possibly patched round ball. My only reservation with round ball is on game performance, otherwise that would also be a requirement. Heck, I wouldn't even be opposed to making it smooth bore... 😂
I just feel like these modern advancements in ML technology have moved away from the original spirit of the ML season.
I hear you.

Whats next, Claymore mines in muzzleloader season?

Last edited:

Remington700

Here in West TN we already get to take our rifles and they eliminated muzzleloader season. They are discussing brining it back and I would like to see it happen. I think I would still just carry my muzzleloader with me. Shooting blackhorn and all the other advances. The only difference is really follow up shot speed.

Lost Lake

Seems like a strange question to me. Why would straight wall cartridges become legal during muzzleloader season? Is someone proposing this?
That's a good question that I'd like to hear answered by the powers that be. Course I'd probably get told to sit down and shut up, that the decision has already been made. We're just acting like we really want to hear other opinions.

Southern Sportsman

Seems like a strange question to me. Why would straight wall cartridges become legal during muzzleloader season? Is someone proposing this?
There is a trend away from "muzzleloader seasons" towards "primitive weapon seasons." Basically just a way to sell more licenses by allowing people to use additional weapons during what use to be a more restricted season. Some states have already done this (MS I think?) and it has been tossed around the F&W Commission for a few years now. Of course that begs the question — how should we define a "primitive weapon?" Straight wall cartridge guns seem to be a popular choice for the line of demarcation.

I'm 100% against it, but I have to acknowledge that it has become harder to determine where to draw the line. I shoot an in-line ML with 209 ignition. A true traditionalist could legitimately argue that this is a huge departure from what ML hunting was all about 20 years ago. And we already allow smokeless muzzleloaders that can accurately shoot 300 yards, which I am also against personally, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to complain much.

megalomaniac

I would prefer to see ML become more primitive. ML's are basically as effective as rifles in the hardwoods anyway.
Agree completely. Make them more primitive (black powder only, no sabots, no scopes, no 209 primers, no inlines. Current MLs are just single shot rifles and have been so bastaradized from what was originally intended when season was created.

Or just allow any weapon during ML season on private lands. Still require a ML tag so TWRA doesn't lose revenue

Latest posts