Mossberg vs Remington

jas

I have been shopping for the right deer rifle and right price. According to reviews, I need to stay away from the Remington 770. For a little more money the 700 series looks to be a little better. Has anyone seen or tried the Mossberg Deer Thug rifles?

Also, what are your opinions on buying uses guns?

stik

personally, i have no use for anything mossberg. as far as used guns, as long as it has not been abused or neglected, you can buy some great used guns.

JimFromTN

In that price range for a new rifle, I would go with the Marlin XL7/XS7. My second choice would be the Stevens 200 simply because the marlin has a better trigger. I would definately avoid the rem 770, mossberg 4x4, and savage axis.

Kimberman

Nhill said:
I would much rather buy a good used gun instead of spending the same amount on a cheap new gun.

Absolutely. Plus if/when the time comes to sell/trade, the higher quality used gun will bring about the same $ you paid for it, the cheapo new gun will not hold its value.

Dienamic

I have to chime in pro Mossberg. I've had 2 ATRs. A 308 & a 30/06. Still have the 06. It is my woods gun. Has the lba trigger (basically the same as the savage accutrigger). Puts 3 walmart 150gr corelokts in about 1.5" at 100yds. It and a Nikon cost me right at $400ish. I love it. Its a mauser. What could go wrong? It is also much better looking than a 770.

pseshooter300

I dont agree with the post on bad quality i just bought a brand new 700 cdl sf. I here this all the time but yet to here actual reasons for people's thoughts on this. If this is do to the trigger issues those are taken care of. But anyways if i was going to buy it would be a 700 or a tikka t3

RussellvilleRob

I have to throw another one in for the Mossberg...I have a 30-06 atr that's at least 10 seasons old...I've beat the heck out of it... Just this year I put a personalized camo job on it to hide the scratches....It aint pretty but it still kills em out to 150 yds....Most of my spots dont offer any longer shots..
For $287 i aint worried about resell value......lol

Kimberman

pseshooter300 said:
I dont agree with the post on bad quality i just bought a brand new 700 cdl sf. I here this all the time but yet to here actual reasons for people's thoughts on this. If this is do to the trigger issues those are taken care of. But anyways if i was going to buy it would be a 700 or a tikka t3

Plenty of examples of how bad Remmy has gotten. The reason you don't see it in your gun is because you bought the top of the line Rem 700. It's the lower priced 700s that have taken the hit, which is the lines that gave them such a good reputation in years past. Poor finish quality, poor acuracy, even barrels that didnt have a finishing reamer run into the chamber. Look around on some other forums, a well as this one, you will find plenty of examples. The company that owns Remmy has also ruined Marlin by cheapening their product. Ask any die hard Remmy guy, even they will agree, begrudgingly.

pseshooter300

If you are talking about 700 sps that is lower but i have heard on 24 hour campfire those guys 90% like them. Now they do have a dull finish. It is not the shiny

HogHvn

I had a 700 ADL in 30-06. Dang good gun. Don't remember when I bought it but it was in the late 90's to early 2000's.