Minn-Kota ultrex and I pilot link

TRIGGER

I should have my new trolling motor next week. I have been running the terrova which has spot lock but does not have the link. Anyone running the Ultrex? My terrovas foot pedal is thin so I have a plate over the recessed hole in my ranger. Wondering if the ultrex has a full sized foot pedal? A video I watched looked like it was recessed but only a couple of inches not as deep as my recess.
I also ordered the new Hummingbird helix with the mega imaging on down vision as well as side vision. I will get it when it becomes available mid December. :party:

SilverFox

You've spent some money.

I have got to buy something soon. I'm trading the Skeeter in for a G3 aluminum if nothing changes and the G3 only comes from the factory with a 5" Lowrance unit. I'm not a Lowrance guy but if the GPS works well I will probably keep it. I grew up in SC fishing shallow water on Santee and Wateree and since moving down here where I will be on Watts Bar and Chickamauga I'm going to concentrate on shallow water again. I am beyond tired of fishing deep water and having multiple boats pulling up on you fishing a hump like it's OK to throw across your lines... not to mention pontoons, jet skis and party boats. I don't know if I will buy SI or DI units again or not. I may just wait until I find some decent used units to buy. May just buy a Helix 7 SI for the back and a 2D for the front. I don't know. I'd love a Helix 10 but that's a lot of coin.

TRIGGER

SilverFox":e5bacbs1 said:
You've spent some money.

I have got to buy something soon. I'm trading the Skeeter in for a G3 aluminum if nothing changes and the G3 only comes from the factory with a 5" Lowrance unit. I'm not a Lowrance guy but if the GPS works well I will probably keep it. I grew up in SC fishing shallow water on Santee and Wateree and since moving down here where I will be on Watts Bar and Chickamauga I'm going to concentrate on shallow water again. I am beyond tired of fishing deep water and having multiple boats pulling up on you fishing a hump like it's OK to throw across your lines... not to mention pontoons, jet skis and party boats. I don't know if I will buy SI or DI units again or not. I may just wait until I find some decent used units to buy. May just buy a Helix 7 SI for the back and a 2D for the front. I don't know. I'd love a Helix 10 but that's a lot of coin.

I am stuck with Humminbird due to the Lake master charts. I have found the charts more valuable than any other aspect of any of the units. I currently have a helix 9 at the bow as well as one at the console with di and si but I only use those for the mapping. I have a Raymarine a78 at the bow for depth and DI and a Raymarine Axiom at the console with DI,SI and 3D.
I didn't understand the ins and outs when I put the system together. My problem is I am seeing fish on the Raymarine and marking waypoints on the Humminbird. This works good when marking a large school but not accurate enough for targeting only a few fish. I'm adding the second hummingbird at the console so the fish I mark and the waypoint are exact.

The only advantage of navionics over lakemaster is that navionics shows road beds and old creek channels (some are still there but most are silted in) in the shallower waters. I have not seen the new navionics charts though.

SilverFox

If I was going to fish offshore exclusively, I'd run the Humminbird for SI and mapping but the Lowrance for DI and 2D. There's no comparison with the older units. I haven't used the mega units so Bird may have fixed that but they had a LONG way to go to catch up with the way they set the DI crystals up. One of the guys I fish with some is a Lowrance guru. What he can do with the DI side is amazing. He is the best I've seen when it comes to offshore fishing.

I've heard that Garmin has some of the best mapping out there. Haven't used them. I don't see how it can be any better than autochart.

X-Tennessean

You will love the Ultrex!! I sure do, the spotlock is amazing.
It does have a full size pedal and the "link" is so useful. I never thought Id like it but man am I glad I went ahead and got it.

As far as your maps why not use both?
Link your birds with the Helix and use one of your other graphs to utilize Navionics.

X-Tennessean

SilverFox":2mm8ney2 said:
If I was going to fish offshore exclusively, I'd run the Humminbird for SI and mapping but the Lowrance for DI and 2D. There's no comparison with the older units. I haven't used the mega units so Bird may have fixed that but they had a LONG way to go to catch up with the way they set the DI crystals up. One of the guys I fish with some is a Lowrance guru. What he can do with the DI side is amazing. He is the best I've seen when it comes to offshore fishing.

I've heard that Garmin has some of the best mapping out there. Haven't used them. I don't see how it can be any better than autochart.

Birds new MEGA imaging is unreal!!
Especially now that they have came out with a dedicated DI unit in MEGA.
I may have to upgrade myself for the bow!
I run MEGA at the console but would love to have it on the TM as well.

bluball

X-Tennessean":385zv5wb said:
It does have a full size pedal and the "link" is so useful. I never thought Id like it but man am I glad I went ahead and got it.

Link your birds with the Helix and use one of your other graphs to utilize Navionics.
I utilize all 3,low rance insight, navionics,and lakemaster,they all have there place.When fishing different areas of the lake you can't go wrong,if you fish the same spots it probably wouldn't help

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

TRIGGER

X-Tennessean":202n7lk2 said:

What do you mean l"link your birds with the helix"?

TRIGGER

X-Tennessean":3595j3ep said:

The spot lock on my terrova worked OK BUT was a far cry from there advertised 5' circle.

X-Tennessean

TRIGGER":1lcdtovj said:
X-Tennessean":1lcdtovj said:

What do you mean l"link your birds with the helix"?

Thats a typo! Meant to say Lakemaster

ChasingMossy

The new mega imaging is very very good. It's so good that with a 12 inch+ screen you can actually id tge exact type of fish on your graph. I'm not joking either. You can see the head, the tail, body shape, etc. When it comes to 2d sonar I'll take lowrance all day. But for di, si, and mapping then I'm going for the new mega.

TRIGGER

ChasingMossy":1bsuhmn6 said:
The new mega imaging is very very good. It's so good that with a 12 inch+ screen you can actually id tge exact type of fish on your graph. I'm not joking either. You can see the head, the tail, body shape, etc. When it comes to 2d sonar I'll take lowrance all day. But for di, si, and mapping then I'm going for the new mega.

You have seen the mega DI in use? Or are you referring to SI? I fished a tournament with a guy that had the mega SI and it was amazing. This was in the spring so we were in shallow water and weren't "graphing" anything but I was watching his screen anyway when we were idling and was very impressed. At one point we were in <3' of water and you could see a tire out 40' beside us plain as day.

ChasingMossy

TRIGGER":2en3gu9w said:
ChasingMossy":2en3gu9w said:

You have seen the mega DI in use? Or are you referring to SI? I fished a tournament with a guy that had the mega SI and it was amazing. This was in the spring so we were in shallow water and weren't "graphing" anything but I was watching his screen anyway when we were idling and was very impressed. At one point we were in <3' of water and you could see a tire out 40' beside us plain as day.

Yes. The down imaging is unbelievable. You can see fins, shape of head, direction the fish is facing, etc. It's not just a dot anymore. Very impressive.

TRIGGER

Yes. The down imaging is unbelievable. You can see fins, shape of head, direction the fish is facing, etc. It's not just a dot anymore. Very impressive.[/quote]

Think the detail would be as good with a 10" unit?

ChasingMossy

I can't say for certain. But if it's 80% as good, then it's still awesome. I will be upgrading soon and I'm torn between hummingbirds mega and lowrances 3d scan.

bluball

ChasingMossy":3a5tb79l said:
I can't say for certain. But if it's 80% as good, then it's still awesome. I will be upgrading soon and I'm torn between hummingbirds mega and lowrances 3d scan.
I believe I would do hummingbird and 360 before I did 3d scan.I run low rance and humminbird,best of both worlds.

TRIGGER

ChasingMossy":3fxayd93 said:

I have the 3D on my Axiom and I have fished with several excellent ledge fishermen with the lowrance 3D and none of us have found a use for the 3D that has helped catch fish. We all stick with DI and SI.

TRIGGER

bluball":3hqhtqlk said:
ChasingMossy":3hqhtqlk said:
I believe I would do hummingbird and 360 before I did 3d scan.I run low rance and humminbird,best of both worlds.

The 360 intrigues me. I have never experienced it on the water.

SilverFox

I ordered 2 of the Helix 9s I posted about in the other thread. They have the compact SI transducers in them and I guess I will trade them with HB for the HD model and the TM model. Wish I could find an HD model someone had laying around to see if it's worth the money before I did. Seen mixed reviews on line.

ChasingMossy

It depends on how much you use them. Someone that stares at a screen all the time and knows exactly what they are looking at will be able to tell a difference. Someone that doesn't really know what they are looking at won't see much difference.

Latest posts