Minn-Kota ultrex and I pilot link

TRIGGER

ChasingMossy":3vkdqyuj said:
It depends on how much you use them. Someone that stares at a screen all the time and knows exactly what they are looking at will be able to tell a difference. Someone that doesn't really know what they are looking at won't see much difference.

Changed my mind. I'm dropping my boat off on Wednesday to get the solix 15 installed.

SilverFox

Dang it man! Big money spender. Hope you like it.

I can't justify spending that kind of coin for a hobby... but I guess you can't take it with you. Every time I think about the money I spend on fishing that meme comes to mind about the old man.

bluball

SilverFox":3vc4ybpk said:

I can't justify spending that kind of coin for a hobby... but I guess you can't take it with you. Every time I think about the money I spend on fishing that meme comes to mind about the old man.
In this day and age it ain't gonna that ain't gonna happen much.Electronics are the best money you can spend if you want to be a good fisherman.But if you spend the money and don't use them there a waste of money like anything else.I spend days on the water and never even wet a hook and can tell you I've learned a lot about the KY lake in the last year,just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

SilverFox

It probably happens a lot more than you think. Bullet Bass Boats sponsored a tourney on Douglas earlier this year that benefited the victims of the Gatlinburg fire a year ago. We were an early boat draw, something like boat 6 in the first flight. We never even blasted off. We idled around until the crowd had gone and dropped the trolling motor. My partner and I caught every fish we weighed from the swimming area beside the ramp watching them set up for the weigh in... and we won the tourney. Look at John Cox that fishes the FLW. Steve Kennedy that fishes the Bassmaster Elite Series. Heck John Cox didn't even have a unit on the bow for a long time,he used his rod to see how deep he was.

Now I agree that electronics have changed the game. Nothing is a secret anymore... but you still got to make them bite. I couldn't tell you the number of fish I've found on side scan and down scan and caught but I've also seen schools that make your mouth water that I've fished and never got a sniff.

My comment on the cost of the unit leans more on the cost of the top of the line units vs the entry level units. I can't bring myself to pony up the extra coin to buy a Solix vs a Helix. There's just not enough difference in them for me. A little better picture and a little better processors for 2 or 3 times the money. I don't want that to sound like I'm hating on anyone that will, just I won't do it. I'm the same way with boats, trucks, TVs and most everything. If it works and I can get it cheaper I will do it. I'm glad guys do spend the money on stuff like that... it makes the company keep investing on newer and better products and benefits all who use it. I like looking at the new technology as much as anyone. It's an amazing thing. Since this post started I've been looking at the images from the Humminbird units online and they are amazing.

bluball

I mainly crappie fish and have probably scanned 60 hours since Feb this year.They are a game changer if you use them.I run hummingbird and lowrance in my boat.When I added the hummingbird I asked several bass guys I know questions on how to use it.None of them knew squat,they don't use them,a lot of guys buy them and don't have a clue.If you use them you will catch more fish,will it be big fish to win a tournament maybe not.I probably couldn't catch squat without my electronics,that's the truth.

TRIGGER

bluball":2v9lrmw8 said:
I mainly crappie fish and have probably scanned 60 hours since Feb this year.They are a game changer if you use them.I run hummingbird and lowrance in my boat.When I added the hummingbird I asked several bass guys I know questions on how to use it.None of them knew squat,they don't use them,a lot of guys buy them and don't have a clue.If you use them you will catch more fish,will it be big fish to win a tournament maybe not.I probably couldn't catch squat without my electronics,that's the truth.

I am In no way shape or form an expert on anything much less Fishing but I have spent some time on the water staring at the screen and feel somewhat comfortable about what I'm looking at. Time on the water is the only thing that can do that for you. I went out numerous times with people that knew how to read them and tried to show me. I thought I had an idea when I got my first graph until I got on the water by myself. Many of frustrating days (months) spent casting at fish that were not bass. I didn't have the know how or patience to find bass. I saw marks on the screen and went to casting. Finally I casted at the rite school and caught bass. When Fishing the national semifinals as a co-angler showed me how different Ky Lake fishes compared to other lakes. Neither angler that I fished with knew what they were looking at on the screen nor had confidence to fish off shore. They were both good fishermen but obviously didn't fish "ledges" much.

TRIGGER

SilverFox":28e0atg9 said:

Absolutely. The guys in the $90k bass boats don't concern me it's the guy with the trolling motor falling off and needing a jump at the ramp that do.

WTM

TRIGGER":1z28fu2m said:
SilverFox":1z28fu2m said:

Absolutely. The guys in the $90k bass boats don't concern me it's the guy with the trolling motor falling off and needing a jump at the ramp that do.

lol a guy i work with fishes the Beech lake night tournaments in a 16ft john boat with a 25hp johnson. his buddy and him beats the snot out of the "pro" anglers on occassion. it pissed them off so bad they changed some rules to keep them out of the tournament.

those guys were making fun of them calling them my john boat buddies. i told him i could film them and we could call it the "john boat buddy fishing show".

bluball

TRIGGER":2ofrn0be said:
bluball":2ofrn0be said:

I am In no way shape or form an expert on anything much less Fishing but I have spent some time on the water staring at the screen and feel somewhat comfortable about what I'm looking at. Time on the water is the only thing that can do that for you. I went out numerous times with people that knew how to read them and tried to show me. I thought I had an idea when I got my first graph until I got on the water by myself. Many of frustrating days (months) spent casting at fish that were not bass. I didn't have the know how or patience to find bass. I saw marks on the screen and went to casting. Finally I casted at the rite school and caught bass. When Fishing the national semifinals as a co-angler showed me how different Ky Lake fishes compared to other lakes. Neither angler that I fished with knew what they were looking at on the screen nor had confidence to fish off shore. They were both good fishermen but obviously didn't fish "ledges" much.
What helped me the most is I sunk different types of structure.Then I played around scanning what I has sunk.I was also very fortunate to fish small crappie tournaments with a guy that was ok at fishing,but great at using electronics.He would only want to scan certain areas,I scan whole creeks at a time now.I have the cofidence to go to any creek I haven't been in on KY lake any month of the year and catch fish may not be a lot of keepers,but catch a bunch every trip.

bluball

WTM":1hjodf7j said:
TRIGGER":1hjodf7j said:
SilverFox":1hjodf7j said:

lol a guy i work with fishes the Beech lake night tournaments in a 16ft john boat with a 25hp johnson. his buddy and him beats the snot out of the "pro" anglers on occassion. it pissed them off so bad they changed some rules to keep them out of the tournament.

those guys were making fun of them calling them my john boat buddies. i told him i could film them and we could call it the "john boat buddy fishing show".
I know guys like that in your area.But when the fish are not in there spot there done.If they knew how to use there electronics better they would really put a hurt on them.

SilverFox

There's a couple guys up here that are pretty good with their electronics. They fish some night time tourneys with us and go out early and look for the fish. If they see them they will pay and fish... if they don't they skip it. You can always tell if they have anything by seeing them after dark. If they are gone they didn't catch them and if they stay for weigh in they have a good sack. If they can't find them deep they aren't going to stay and scratch out a limit.

TRIGGER

FWIW I got the ultrex all mounted up and took it to the Lake yesterday. Boy is it touchy. I wasn't expecting it to be so fast steering wise. That's not a bad thing but will take a few trips to get used to.

Latest posts