Minn Kota ulterra

TNReb

Minn Kota's have problems with the steering sensor going out - often due to rain. I've had it happen to me and seen it happen to a few other guys in our bass club.

The only reason I would consider an Ulterra is if I needed the auto stow/deploy. If I didn't need that, but was staying with Minn Kota, I'd get the Ultrex.

I think the Lowrance Ghost and Garmin Force are better than anything MK makes. Just my 2 cents…

7mm08

I thought about going that route but if I'm not on my boat then it's in the garage. It's bolted down to the aluminum deck of my boat and a tornado probably couldn't rip it off so hopefully that's a deterrent to thieves if I'm running into a store.
99.999% of the average redneck or crackhead can't get it off without some special tools which they would have to steal too!

Pilchard

I had mine on the quick release puck but just used a cotter pin instead of a lock. I would take it off when I had a fly angler in the front deck.

I had a second puck on the aft starboard corner that I would attach it to and could run it from the stern also. I wired a second plug into the hatch it was next to up to the batteries in the bow.

Crow Terminator

Yep, a pry bar or sawzall is all they need and they can have it off rather quickly. Remember, they aren't trying to take their time or avoid damaging the boat. Watching videos of them cutting converters off is quite shocking at how fast they can hit and run. Cut if off quick...unbolt it later. It sucks that it's that way too.

7mm08

Yep, a pry bar or sawzall is all they need and they can have it off rather quickly. Remember, they aren't trying to take their time or avoid damaging the boat. Watching videos of them cutting converters off is quite shocking at how fast they can hit and run. Cut if off quick...unbolt it later. It sucks that it's that way too.
Heck, if they want your engine they will take it too. It's why you have insurance on your boat. I just pray my surveillance cams give me a minute or two that I need to get to my boat.

7mm08

It also makes no sense because whoever they " sell" it to has to buy the GPS receiver and the remote.

Crow Terminator

Addicts don't exactly function with a full deck of cards and will do whatever to get that next hit. It wouldn't matter if they just sold it for $100...that's enough for a few pills. Same goes for the catalytic converter buyers...what are buyers going to do with a sawed off one? Scrap it. Crack head don't care...just as long as they get something for their labor to get buzzed. And if they did sell the TM to a fishermen...buying a remote and GPS puck is cheap compared to the price of a new TM. Insurance is nice but still would piss me off having anything stolen. I wouldn't care if it was a stale pack of crackers under my boat seat. It's mine...don't be stealing it haha

rsimms

I am considering upgrading trolling motors and I'm looking at an ulterra. Wanted to see if anyone here uses one and what kind of experience they have had with it. I appreciate any feedback.
I've used an Ulterra for ten years. It's like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps on ticking. I've had to replace a steering head and did a major overhaul on it last year. But remember, I am a fishing guide. My Ulterra has probably run at least five times as much - probably more - compared to the average fisherman. I have one but I do NOT use the foot control. Not because I don't like it, I just prefer using the remote control far more. I only keep it on board for emergencies (if my remote controls quit - I keep two in the boat). I've only used the foot control twice in ten years (before I bought a second remote control).

rsimms

I've used an Ulterra for ten years. It's like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps on ticking. I've had to replace a steering head and did a major overhaul on it last year. But remember, I am a fishing guide. My Ulterra has probably run at least five times as much - probably more - compared to the average fisherman. I have one but I do NOT use the foot control. Not because I don't like it, I just prefer using the remote control far more. I only keep it on board for emergencies (if my remote controls quit - I keep two in the boat). I've only used the foot control twice in ten years (before I bought a second remote control).
OK, I'm an idiot. Please DISREGARD my post. I do NOT have an Ulterra. I have a Terrova! I hear so much about Ulterras these days my aging brain flips flops the names. I've also wished to upgrade to an auto-stow Ulterra. However I just cannot bring myself to spend the money as long as my Terrova is performing well. Again, I'm a friend of my TERROVA, not the Ulterra. Pardon me and drive through now.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
OK, I'm an idiot. Please DISREGARD my post. I do NOT have an Ulterra. I have a Terrova! I hear so much about Ulterras these days my aging brain flips flops the names. I've also wished to upgrade to an auto-stow Ulterra. However I just cannot bring myself to spend the money as long as my Terrova is performing well. Again, I'm a friend of my TERROVA, not the Ulterra. Pardon me and drive through now.
I have to stop every time i tell someone what i have, which is the terrova. It is great other than the foot pedal LOL. The ulterras with that autodeploy have had some issues over the years.

kaizen leader

I am considering upgrading trolling motors and I'm looking at an ulterra. Wanted to see if anyone here uses one and what kind of experience they have had with it. I appreciate any feedback.
If you have Hummin Bird electronics stick with the MinKota. I've got two Ulteras and I think it's the most important tool you can have. The auto deploy, rout tracking, and anchor are fantastic. I will never do without it again. The foot control takes some getting use to and is not that great but I use the hand control mostly.

Hduke86

If you have Hummin Bird electronics stick with the MinKota. I've got two Ulteras and I think it's the most important tool you can have. The auto deploy, rout tracking, and anchor are fantastic. I will never do without it again. The foot control takes some getting use to and is not that great but I use the hand control mostly.
You ever use the circle feature? Besides spotlock the circle feature has to be my favorite. Makes hitting all sides of structure at different approaches so much easier.

Latest posts