Minn Kota ulterra

ADR

I am considering upgrading trolling motors and I'm looking at an ulterra. Wanted to see if anyone here uses one and what kind of experience they have had with it. I appreciate any feedback.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I have a terrova which is similar without the autodeploy. I will say this, i absolutely despise the foot control on the terrova. Thats just one thing to look at if you stay on the motor alot. If you are a spotlocker it probably wont bother you as much.

ADR

I have a terrova which is similar without the autodeploy. I will say this, i absolutely despise the foot control on the terrova. Thats just one thing to look at if you stay on the motor alot. If you are a spotlocker it probably wont bother you as much.
What's the dislikes about the pedal?

Last edited:

Sam Davis

After months of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos I went with the Garmin Force. Like you I was worried about spending that much money on a trolling motor. I been 100% satisfied. It's flawless on windy days & pulls my boat 4mph.
Unless you are a Minn Kota only guy check out Garmin.

ADR

After months of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos I went with the Garmin Force. Like you I was worried about spending that much money on a trolling motor. I been 100% satisfied. It's flawless on windy days & pulls my boat 4mph.
I'm definitely not a Minn Kota only guy. In fact to get full use of the features of the ulterra, I plan on changing the front depth finder from lowrance to hummingbird. I had looked at the force but seems it lacks the ability to follow a pre-set trail. I long line for crappie a lot and I could see where that would be handy.
What do you like most about the force vs what you researched on the other units? It seems they are all about the same $

Lincoln Co Archer

I think the foot pedal is completely electronic and does not have the feel of the traditional cable driven trolling motor foot pedal. From what I have heard it can be somewhat hard to control because you have to be looking at the directional arrow rather than controlling by feel while still looking up at the target.

scn

I have had two friends with an Ulterra. Both told me that WHEN it would work, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The self-deploy was an awesome feature.

Unfortunately, both had significant problems with theirs. It cost one $500+ to get it repaired. The other guy had his in for weeks on end four different times under warranty repair. When it went bad the fifth time, Minn Kota agreed to give him a credit towards a Terrova.

The Ulterra was what I had planned to buy for my boat. After listening to my friends and reading a bunch of very negative reviews, I decided to go with the Terrova. I use the fob control on mine and have not needed a foot control for the saltwater fishing I am doing with my boat.

hammer33

I have a terrova with the remote control fob. So far, love it. Just make sure your Hummingbird is the NETWORK compatible version. I think the model number will have an "N" at the end. I THOUGHT I was getting the right one, but couldn't network it to my Terrova to run saved courses. Finally figured out for an extra $42 I could have bought the networkable version.
So the trolling motor has been great so far. Hummingbird with lake master is awesome. Just wish the two would talk to each other.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I have had two friends with an Ulterra. Both told me that WHEN it would work, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The self-deploy was an awesome feature.

Unfortunately, both had significant problems with theirs. It cost one $500+ to get it repaired. The other guy had his in for weeks on end four different times under warranty repair. When it went bad the fifth time, Minn Kota agreed to give him a credit towards a Terrova.

The Ulterra was what I had planned to buy for my boat. After listening to my friends and reading a bunch of very negative reviews, I decided to go with the Terrova. I use the fob control on mine and have not needed a foot control for the saltwater fishing I am doing with my boat.
One of the guides I fish with in the Keys got the Ulterra on a new boat last year. He said it was great when it worked. Had a couple of occasions that it wouldn't stow. Nothing like being out 10-20 miles with a trolling motor that won't come out of the water.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
What's the dislikes about the pedal?
its like a flat panel without much travel at all to steer insteadd of the toe to heel style like the ultrex that has a good feel. . I would advise trying both out before you buy one. Granted, you can get used to anything and get comfortable. Im just not a fan when i have to stay on it and not using spot lock.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Im wanting to go back to a force but i wasnt 100% on the anchor lock. I had one of the first ones released and loved everything about it but that anchor lock was all over the place. One day it did good and the next it would wander

ADR

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
I thought about the ultrex vs force initially but considered the auto deploy feature nice because I fish (launch) alone most of the time.
Back to the drawing board and further down the rabbit hole I go.

Crow Terminator

I have an Ultrex that I bought new in March/April 2022. So I've had it a few months shy of a year. In that time, I have had to replace the main steering board and a faulty on/off switch. If you research them, those are 2 of the top 5 common problems they have with the Ultrex. I am not happy that both of those have already occurred...and the implication is that it happens so commonly that it is a good idea to carry spares in your boat. As someone else said in regards to the Ulterra...when it works, it's great but...when it dies on the water, it's frustrating. If something happens again I swear I'm unbolting it and kicking it into the lake. A Force or Ghost will be on mine next.

7mm08

I have had one on my Scout 201 for over 5 years. I did have a drive break after 2 years and it cost me $600 and change.

However when this one goes down again I will replace it with another. I self launch without any problem. Back my boat in the water , stick my controller out the window. Drop the motor, hit spot lock and then go park my truck and trailer , walk back and direct the boat to the pier and go. It's workhorse on the water.

Now for the real reason I spent a small fortune on it. I personally saw one of my best friends do a header off the bow of his boat in about 20" of water with his old pull chord trolling motor. How he didn't break his neck was the grace of God. I also watched a LA GAME WARDEN show one night when a guy drown with the pull chord still in his hand. I can also work my trolling motor from the stern or console and I don't have to get up on the bow or step down onto two bad knees and one ankle that is shot so it save my wear and tear

Good luck.

Spot lock in action
1673277085757.jpeg

Last edited:

Hduke86

If you go the Ulterra route then look up how to MANUALLY stow it. It's not hard and there's a latch on the side. Just make sure you have a screwdriver on the boat to remove the side cover if need be. Mine is linked to my helix 9 in the back of my boat cause I have a tiller steer. I can be scanning and see structure and mark it on my graph and hit a button on my Helix and the trolling motor deploys and takes me right to the structure and then spot locks on it. The "circle" feature and follow the contour is GREAT features.

7mm08

If you go the Ulterra route then look up how to MANUALLY stow it. It's not hard and there's a latch on the side. Just make sure you have a screwdriver on the boat to remove the side cover if need be. Mine is linked to my helix 9 in the back of my boat cause I have a tiller steer. I can be scanning and see structure and mark it on my graph and hit a button on my Helix and the trolling motor deploys and takes me right to the structure and then spot locks on it. The "circle" feature and follow the contour is GREAT features.
Mine is attached to a plate that has a lock on it. I can remove the motor if it even seized without problems. Provided I have the key to remove the lock.

Hduke86

Mine is attached to a plate that has a lock on it. I can remove the motor if it even seized without problems. Provided I have the key to remove the lock.
I thought about going that route but if I'm not on my boat then it's in the garage. It's bolted down to the aluminum deck of my boat and a tornado probably couldn't rip it off so hopefully that's an deterrent to thieves if I'm running into a store.

Latest posts