mineral site/feeder question

huntncoach

Need some input about this. Recently I scouted a little more around one of my good hunting spots where there are lots of white oak trees surrounded by nearly mature pine forests (planted after logging a while back). From that oak area there are two well defined trails, one where a deer ran after I arrowed it and the other is where most of the deer I have seen come from. I stalked along that trail a couple of weeks back and jumped a deer along trail that runs through the pines. This trail is about 500 yards and runs directly to one of the small food plots we have on the property. Unfortunately, we have not done much with this plot the last couple of years, so it is mostly just clover and weeds.
My plan for next season is to be more specific with the food plot, planting clover first and then maybe some turnips with some type of cover to help protect the turnips from overbrowsing. This plot used to get lots of traffic, but the pines have grown and offer less cover, so the deer tend to move around the small plot, rather than through it as travel routes. I am also thinking of adding some type of feeder in the woods at the other end of the trail after the season through about August. Finally, I am considering adding a mineral site along the trail connecting the two areas. Currently, there is no type of stand or blind along that trail, but I also plan to set up a ladder stand or something about halfway between the woods and the plot and downwind according to the prevailing winds.
My hope is that I can either hunt one of the two current locations and even along the trail between them to intercept deer traveling between the two. Any input or suggestions?

Bass1090

I am not sure I can give you any good advice but your spot sounds a lot like one that I hunt. I agree that you should reinvigorate the food plot and I would put a mineral lick just on the edge of the pines and plot. I would probably set up on the opposite side of that and use the pines as a "sanctuary" type area. Would be great to be able to shoot all of the plot and into the pines if possible. The deer I have killed and see in the spot I hunt come from all directions, but primarily out of the pines at all times of the day. Good luck and enjoy the challenge of setting up a "new" area, I enjoy that ALMOST as much as the hunt. Take care

PS. The pines I have around me are very mature row pines with little thick cover but the deer still love to move through them.I also think that hunting high enough these types of pines help protect from swirling winds.

huntncoach

I am not sure I can give you any good advice but your spot sounds a lot like one that I hunt. I agree that you should reinvigorate the food plot and I would put a mineral lick just on the edge of the pines and plot. I would probably set up on the opposite side of that and use the pines as a "sanctuary" type area. Would be great to be able to shoot all of the plot and into the pines if possible. The deer I have killed and see in the spot I hunt come from all directions, but primarily out of the pines at all times of the day. Good luck and enjoy the challenge of setting up a "new" area, I enjoy that ALMOST as much as the hunt. Take care

PS. The pines I have around me are very mature row pines with little thick cover but the deer still love to move through them.I also think that hunting high enough these types of pines help protect from swirling winds.
Thanks, Bass. I'm just getting tired of relying on simple blind dumb luck!

Bass1090

One last thing I will add. We don't use any feeders at all on our lease. We tend to believe all of the human interference to the feeder filling it up and checking cameras does more harm than good for mature buck sightings.

Last edited:

BSK

Having worked with clients who use feeders, hunting season deer use of the area is not altered by feeder locations that are only used in summer. In essence, placing a summer feeder or salt lick in a given location will not influence deer movement come hunting season. Deer will have changed their patterns. I would use whatever habitat management I could to shift or focus deer movement during hunting season.

Ladys man

Having worked with clients who use feeders, hunting season deer use of the area is not altered by feeder locations that are only used in summer. In essence, placing a summer feeder or salt lick in a given location will not influence deer movement come hunting season. Deer will have changed their patterns. I would use whatever habitat management I could to shift or focus deer movement during hunting season.
So what about mineral site on the edge of the food plot? Is that good or bad long term?

BDS05

Not sure what county y'all are in, but… CWD.

Even if it's not "confirmed" in your area.

No. I'm not just talking about the legal aspect of bait/mineral sites.

BSK

So what about mineral site on the edge of the food plot? Is that good or bad long term?
I wouldn't say good or bad. Deer will use them, primarily in the summer, but I wouldn't expect it to draw deer during deer season. I would look at trying to create a narrow corridor of thicker cover to influence deer to go where you want them.

Latest posts