LPT: Life Pro Tips (hunting)

fairchaser

I find that if my spot is scenic I will hunt longer and enjoy the hunt more. Part of my enjoyment is nature.

Don't take your proficiency with your weapon for granted. After all the preparation, missing or wounding an animal is the worst feeling. I've known people to quit hunting over a bad shot. Just because you can hit a paper plate on a bench at 100 yds, doesn't mean you can make a 250 yd shot from a loc on.

Shed Hunter

Just enjoy it and make memories. I'm very obsessive with anything I do so some of my better younger years were spent not really making much of life other than only deer hunting. Then I finally killed the big one I was after and realized it's not really a big deal to kill the deer. It's the hunt that's fun.

jejeffrries71

Don't bring your headaches (work, personal problems, etc) to the woods with you. Leave all that behind. Let Mother Nature do what she intended. Relax and enjoy.
That is the whole point for me. I clear all that other baggage out and leave it behind. Over the years, I have tied to practice a different state of mind where I try not to think in words while in the stand. Just relax. Become eyes, nose, and ears. Leave verbal thoughts behind. It really sheds the stress and focuses me on what is going on around me. I can't do that for hours at a time, but I can in shorter bursts ... at least until I have to pee.

Mb423

Spend the time and prep your shooting lanes prior (mostly for archery). Don't wait until you had to pass on deer because you didn't give yourself clear shooting lanes.

Hunt through your binos. 9/10 deer I see are through the binos first and I can't even see them with the naked eye. This gives you time to watch them and prep a shot or see if you need to move your stand for next time. For rifle or muzzle loader you may get a clear shot you wouldn't even have seen with the naked eye.

TRIGGER

1. It's just a dam deer. Don't ever let a deer come between your family or your friends.

2. Trophy hunting can be fun and very rewarding but about once every couple years, when you park at your hunting spot, tell yourself, I'm gonna shoot the first deer that steps out and is legal. Then follow through with it. You may just relive old memories and remember why deer hunting so much fun when you first started hunting.

True. When I have a "doe day" I get buck fever when a squirrel moves a leaf. When I'm buck hunting I don't get near as exited because I know the chances are slim that I will see a "shooter"

AJared

-Spend more time scanning the woods and fields than you do looking at your phone.
-As with most things in life, patience pays off. If you want larger bucks, you must let the small ones live a few years.
-A matriarch doe will ruin your hunt quickly and will usually bust you before a buck will. Don't move when she is looking around!

Latest posts