Lots of acorns this year

WORM82

Everything has been loaded this year in my area. Apples,pears,persimmons, and the oaks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,215

Mike Belt

Just passing this along but did you know that something like 40% of the oaks produce 70% of the acorns? Also studies have shown that fertilizing oaks do absolutely nothing for acorn production in that it doesn't make the acorns bigger or sweeter or produce more acorns other than it makes for more foliage and more canopy which allows for more acorns to grow. Last year's acorn crop produced the heaviest crop in years of study and it looks like we're going to have another bumper crop year. Good for the deer...bad for the hunters unless you're set up on some of their favorite trees. Just what makes certain trees favorite feeding places is a mystery but I suppose it has a lot to do with location.

280longshot

Some of the best oaks on our lease are next to some houses and actually across the line into our neighbors yard. Makes for some hard hunting when our neighbor tells us he's been seeing a 130 plus buck feeding in his yard at 3 am . Guess I'll hug the line and watch the neighbors grill or something, JK.

catman529

I need to check my chinkapin stand and see if it's got any, there's 2 chinkapins that are somewhat isolated and should be good hunting if they produce. I have seen oaks elsewhere that are loaded and already dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

Unless something changes between now and then I'll hunt opening morning off the top of a short ridge with whites and reds falling in a ditch below and the deer feeding on them now. Three trails converge into one 20 yards in front of my stand. I haven't really scouted much for acorns yet but I haven't seen loads of whites any where I've been.

Jaahspike

I have not seen any whites on my farm dropping but TONS of REDS dropping. When will they start hammering the acorns?

TboneD

catman529":vh3nei2z said:
I need to check my chinkapin stand and see if it's got any, there's 2 chinkapins that are somewhat isolated and should be good hunting if they produce. I have seen oaks elsewhere that are loaded and already dropping.

I haven't seen any yet here in Wilson county. Those little chinkapin acorns are pretty hard to see until they darken, though. We have another bumper crop of reds with a lot already on the ground, and some white oaks are dropping a few.

catman529

TboneD":11m512bu said:
catman529":11m512bu said:

I haven't seen any yet here in Wilson county. Those little chinkapin acorns are pretty hard to see until they darken, though. We have another bumper crop of reds with a lot already on the ground, and some white oaks are dropping a few.

yea they sure are hard to see on the tree

easy45

Good number of oaks on our Hardeman County place but I haven't found any with acorns

Swampster

Seeing same in Henderson County. Whites have nuts, just doesn't look like a lot. Some of my sawtooth are starting to drop, others look like they are still forming. They appear to be consistent performers.

PcDeer

I have found several whites that are loaded, a few of which are dropping. I am planning on hunting one Saturday morning on top of a ridge that the deer are hitting pretty hard.

Winchester

Acorn crop here doesn't seem to be near what it was last year which is expected, as last year was off the charts. I'm finding more Reds than Whites but the Chinqapins do seem to have done better than most other White oaks. I haven't got to look at many Chestnut oaks yet? Years like this where there are acorns, but you have to look to find them, are great for hunters that do their homework as deer will be much more concentrated when the acorns start falling good!

TboneD

Winchester":37hrhjc7 said:
Acorn crop here doesn't seem to be near what it was last year which is expected, as last year was off the charts. I'm finding more Reds than Whites but the Chinqapins do seem to have done better than most other White oaks. I haven't got to look at many Chestnut oaks yet? Years like this where there are acorns, but you have to look to find them, are great for hunters that do their homework as deer will be much more concentrated when the acorns start falling good!

Winchester, what part of the state are you located and have your chinqapins starting dropping yet?