Lost that feeling

DeerCamp

I have hit a wall in my hunting life. I no longer have the desire to do it. I just dont know how to get it back. Being forced to hunt public land has killed all desire to go hunting.
Maybe one day it will come back. I hope so
I've never hit a wall, but I have had less motivation at times.

For me, it was getting new people involved in the sport.

If you want to get your heart racing, take a 10 year old for their first deer. It's like the first time shakes all over again.

DeerCamp

I prefer public. I'm a roamer. Private is too limiting for me.
A good mix of both has worked well for me.

I love managing for deer. Habitat work. Food plots. seeing that pay off. Seeing my wife and kids tag deer. Hunting those same deer late season after they've had their fill.

But sometimes I want to hike in a mile and see deer I've never seen. Hunt a place I've never ran a camera.

DeerCamp

Get some buddies involved and start making an adventure out of it. Maybe dedicate a few days every fall to setting up camp and hunting the public land, make camp nice and the food nicer. Dont focus on the kill, focus on the experience. Invite new people that have never hunted, make it a tradition.
Maybe switch to squirrel hunting, late Oct early Nov is an excellent time to hunt them.
Perfect answer.

I'm heading to Oklahoma in 8 days to hunt the rifle opener there, which coincides well with the rut.

What I am really excited about is getting to be at deer camp with 3 of my brothers for 4 days. The shack we stay in is rustic enough it feels like an adventure. (Cot placement is crucial to avoid both farts and rain leaking) Brothers are hilarious and I can't wait to get there.

The hunting is secondary. I'd be just as excited if we were just fishing or hiking.

jejeffrries71

I get you. If I wasn't a land owner I very likely would not go either. I have never in my life hunted anything on land that I did not own. Having two or three permanent box stands with about 270 degree view of differing landscapes; arranged to take advantage of different wind directions, ... where I can hunker down with two or three cold ales, or some KY nectar. Some things you just couldn't do on public land. Logistics are a breeze as well.

But, that is me. Each person has his own reasons, feelings, and rewards. Like one of the other answers, if you are not into it right now, take a break. There is a lot of time and effort involved if you are not into it. For me, the solitude is one of the most rewarding parts. As a natural introvert working in a fast-paced, intense environment with a dozen people needing something from me, this is perfect. My woods, my quiet, no other people, several hours just to myself. While I always hope to see at least one deer, I don't necessarily care if I fire a shot or not.

musical hunter

find some private land ? lease ?
Get on a lease with some guys that are fun to be around. I have my own property to hunt but I miss spending time with people that I used to hunt with on the lease I used to be on. What part of the state are you in?
Cant afford a lease or my own land. Id do that in a minute if possible. I think imma take this year off and re-evaluate in the spring for turkey season.. Ive made peace with not going out this season.

Omega

I took a break for a few years after I retired, I had gone out a couple times, and even seen deer but couldn't pull the trigger, just didn't feel like killing anything. But then, after about three or four years I decided I needed to get over it and start enjoying the outdoors again. Not gonna lie, I felt bad on that first kill. I still don't have the same drive I used to, if it's raining outside I'll sleep in and wait until it dies down, and I am already on my land so it's not like it would be big deal walking a hundred yards in the rain.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
When I lived in Georgia I had a really nice pond/lake very close to my house.... every day after work all weekend for years was spent bass fishing it or west point lake. After I moved in 97 I can count on both hands how many times I've been bass fishing. No real desire, but a couple times a year I'll fish the elk river for the hell of it.

Latest posts