Lost one I thought was down

Swampster

He was on the ground kicking. After about 30 seconds of that I thought he was slowing down, but when I decided to get down, he made it up and took off. Good open shot (I thought), .308 at about 90 yards. I couldn't find where he landed, no blood there. I crisscrossed the brush in the woods about 100 yards each direction from where I saw him go in and nothing. Made seven passes 15-20 yards apart. After almost an hour of this, I decided to get some help and went back to get Claude. Claude is a pet, not a trained tracking bloodhound, and is not even used to a leash but I thought I would give it a try. He did find where it hit the ground, hair only, no blood. Ran me to death and I wasn't sure if he was tracking that deer, another deer, a coyote, or rabbits. Finally, about 300 yards in the brush from where he went in, he found a hand sized smear of blood; not a puddle, just a smear. For the next hour and a half, he ran my legs off. He would find a single drop here and there, but no deer. Thinking I must not have hit him as well as I thought. I think Claude had more fun than I did. Don't think I've knocked one off their feet like that and lost them. A shallow creek borders my land, and he went there a couple of times but stopped on the bank. I though it may have crossed, but we would find another drop of blood back in the brush further down. As the creek bank is about eight feet down, I guess it couldn't or didn't want to cross. And I want to add that I HATE greenbrier.

tntrkkllr

Happened to a friend of mine last year he grazed his back thought he was down and then all of a sudden he got up and ran off and lived to see another day

JCDEERMAN

Don't think I've knocked one off their feet like that and lost them.
I have. Shot a good buck years ago and knocked him straight to the ground. After a couple minutes, I got about 15 yards from the fence row where he dropped. He was laying there and we locked eyes. I tried to throw my gun up, but the scope got caught on my orange vest. Only thing I ever found from that deer were some hairs about 100 yards down the hollow.

I hate you couldn't find yours. Hope he's still alive for you to continue to go after

chris1976

Happened to me last year after 40 years of hunting deer. Barring some serious infection he will live to see another season. Will probably be back to the area you were hunting him in short order. He has no idea what happened.

Swampster

Sounds like you shocked his spine but didn't break any vertebrae. Were you aiming high shoulder?
Not intentionally. was aiming right behind the shoulder, but probably pulled it high. Come to think of it, in both 21 and 22 I put one down where I clipped the spine. It is not the gun, it is me.

double browtine

like others have said, I think you hit near the spine and the shock of the high powered rifle stunned him, but didn't hit the nerves to paralyze him. You could have hit just below the spine and above the lungs

Gravey

Happened to a guy on our lease 2 or 3 years ago. Knocked him down with a muzzleloader and thought he was dead only to see him get up a minute or so later and take off. We had him on camera later. Hit just below the spine to shock him and that was all.

Latest posts