Looked what jumped in the boat

Mossy Oak

I met my buddy last night to do some bowfishing and he showed me this. He was out fishing earlier in the day and this guy jumped right in the boat. Weighed in at 27 pounds.

100_1654.jpg

mossyhorns300

Yep, them dang jumpin carp are dangerous! We've had em jump in with 3 of us in the boat with everyone looking out. That's a good'un! We've only killed 2 approaching that size. Most of ours are between 5-12 lbs.

That just shows you how strong those fish are, when a fish of that size can jump out of the water with enough height to clear the side of the boat and land in it. They are a blast to shoot cause they are so dang strong.

TheLBLman

Those Asian carp have actually become quite dangerous.
Imagine flying across the lake at 45 mph (or faster) and having one of those smack you in the face. Could actually knock a person out of a boat.

mossyhorns300

Wes Parrish said:
Those Asian carp have actually become quite dangerous.
Imagine flying across the lake at 45 mph (or faster) and having one of those smack you in the face. Could actually knock a person out of a boat.

It did just that, Wes, at a tourney we were fishing at Lake Chicot in Arkansas 2 years ago. Kid was water-skiing and got hit in the jaw by one. Broke his jaw and knocked him out. Messed him up pretty good and he nearly drowned because when the carp hit him, he was out cold and turned loose of the rope and was in the water waiting on the boat to turn around and go back to get him. He was in bad shape when they got him back to the ramp.

I don't care how many people you have in the boat as lookouts, it is still so hard to watch as they jump so unexpectedly. I've been lucky and only been hit in the shoulder and the back.

Hangnail

These things are going to seriously damage the baitfish in lakes and rivers, which will have a negative impact on sportfish. There isn't anything cool about them unless you're gonna eat them. If the asians aren't fond of them, I sure as heck ain't gonna eat one.

4onaside

Hangnail said:
These things are going to seriously damage the baitfish in lakes and rivers, which will have a negative impact on sportfish. There isn't anything cool about them unless you're gonna eat them. If the asians aren't fond of them, I sure as heck ain't gonna eat one.
But the asians do like them to eat. At least that's what was stated in a National Geographic show about them. There are some sold now primarily to orientals, I believe in Chicago. The problem is that the market is way too small for the supply. The narrator went out for a day with one of the few commercial fishermen who have some market for them and they caught 11,000 lbs, I believe from the Illinois river, in one day!

Latest posts