Boat Brakes/Crappie Brakes

Levee Jumper

Anybody happen to have any experience with DIY crappie brakes?

Considering Minn Kota 30 lb. thrust trolling motors are $99 a piece and a stomp switch is $30. I think you can have boat set up for less than $300. I'm not wild about the manual deployment but I'm strongly considering it giving the cost of an alternative.

Anybody have any experience with 1 motor vs. 2, wiring pointers, pitfalls to avoid, or anything else that they would care to share?

Levee Jumper

I fish with several guys that have 1 motor. Works great. I don't think you need 2. The wiring is simple. There's honestly not much to it. I'm going to do mine soon.
Thanks, good Info here. What size boat and trolling motor?

Also are they mounted straight back or angled to adjust for just a single motor?

bluball

I fish with several guys that have 1 motor. Works great. I don't think you need 2. The wiring is simple. There's honestly not much to it. I'm going to do mine soon.
I would rather have 2 for the even pull myself.Most guys that buy just one end up with 2,or atheist that's what we see at the shop.

bluball

Anybody happen to have any experience with DIY crappie brakes?

Considering Minn Kota 30 lb. thrust trolling motors are $99 a piece and a stomp switch is $30. I think you can have boat set up for less than $300. I'm not wild about the manual deployment but I'm strongly considering it giving the cost of an alternative.

Anybody have any experience with 1 motor vs. 2, wiring pointers, pitfalls to avoid, or anything else that they would care to share?
What kinda boat you putting them on.We have a few kits we sell at the shop.Kit included everything to put them on, 2 trolling motors,brackets,stomp switch,all wiring/connectors,breaker,wire Loom and good silicone to waterproof with.We have brackets to mount them on powerpole or minnkota raptor all built in house.On the transom mount we usually recommend power pole engine sandwich brackets and we cut minnkota clamp brackets and turn it into a bolt on bracket,really looks good.We take the heads off the trolling motors also before we ship them to make it easier.We have also installed some bow mounted on the rear also,heres a few pics for ideas.We have installed and sold a bunch of kits,we have 2 boats in the shop getting brakes this week.We do custom boat electronic installs in camden,tn Performance fishing electronics.
Screenshot-20220907-201434-Messages.jpg
674343846-1.jpg
Screenshot-20230826-190746-Gallery.jpg

Spurhunter

Thanks, good Info here. What size boat and trolling motor?

Also are they mounted straight back or angled to adjust for just a single motor?
One guy has a 16 foot boat with a 30 pound thrust and another guy has a 55 pound thrust on a 19 foot boat. They set them at angles. I'm guessing they had to play with it to figure out what angle works best.

Spurhunter

What are these "brakes" for? This is the first I've heard of them.
When livescoping suspended fish in open water you are constantly moving and scanning. Without brakes you have to move slower or you'll run over the fish before you have a chance to fish for it. With brakes, when you see a fish and you are approaching it too fast you hit the brakes and stop or even back up if needed.

Tenntrapper

When livescoping suspended fish in open water you are constantly moving and scanning. Without brakes you have to move slower or you'll run over the fish before you have a chance to fish for it. With brakes, when you see a fish and you are approaching it too fast you hit the brakes and stop or even back up if needed.
Cool, thanks

Latest posts