Let this one walk this morning

cbhunter

So I was sitting there this morning and hear a chase. See maybe a 60# fawn come busting through the woods. When she stopped, I hear another deer coming. Look and it's a one horn spike. He chased her all over the place. This always excites me because I know every buck in the area can hear what's going on and will take notice. Then they got down to the creek below me and that doe splashed around and played in the creek for at least 20-25 minutes making all kinds of racket. More less frolicking and running in a circle like she was on a playground. Finally he chases her out of there again. She gets back in and heads downstream. Then I hear the buck making all kind of racket in the creek doing the same stuff. After 5minutes or so I find him in my binoculars and realize another buck has joined him. He was sparring this new buck that had 1 1/2" spikes (button). Finally they come out of creek and cross in front of me and I catch movement at the creek again. This time it's a 5/6 pt that came through and followed their same general direction.
Maybe 20 minutes pass and I hear a deer coming off the ridge across from me. Once I put eyes/binoculars on him, the first thing that stood out was how gray his coat was. between that and the body size, I was able to determine he was fully mature (4.5 min prob older)

I did pick up my gun and realized he had a good rack but I thought " I haven't seen this one before". After watching a little longer I realized he had a broken g2 and immediately knew which deer he was. I just wasn't real excited knowing I have two other target bucks around. I can't think of another time I've let a mature deer walk intentionally. As he went back the way he came, which was directly away from me, I decided to read his reaction from a snort wheeze. He stopped dead in his tracks and looked back to me for a few seconds. Turned back around to walk off so i hit him with two soft grunts. Same reaction. I can see two scenarios where I may have shot this deer

1) if his g2 wasn't broken off
2)had he charged my way after snort wheeze, I might have lost my cool 😄

I froze out soon after with an accomplished feeling. I won a battle that I could have sealed the deal on

Attachments

• IMG_5841.MOV
    13.9 MB
  • C6D35185-9EDD-4946-9295-D65B89FE1A4E.png
    C6D35185-9EDD-4946-9295-D65B89FE1A4E.png
    146 KB · Views: 333
  • 4EAA5854-3618-4DDE-943B-08AF919895A3.png
    4EAA5854-3618-4DDE-943B-08AF919895A3.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 333

cbhunter

I study every buck before I shoot, this costs me sometimes but I don't care. I usually have pics and can figure which one it is but always go back and forth whether to shoot and most of the time say let him walk.
I don't expect him to get any bigger but maybe he will survive, put on a little and have his g2 back. Deer looked
Much older in my scope than he does in pics

Ski

wow! I am not there in my hunting journey yet. I would've lost my cool and blasted him. I hope your patience gets rewarded with one of your target bucks!

Me neither, and I've been doing this a long time! The old age and broken tines are the kind of stuff that get me excited even more than rack size. At a certain point in a buck's life he just says screw it and struts the woods like he owns it, and don't dare stand in his way. Those are the ones I want. While big 3 and 4 year olds are cautiously hiding in cover til dark, these monarchs are marching proud.

Good on you CB for letting him walk. Hopefully you get rewarded with the buck you're after!

Ladys man

Something is wrong with your sir, lol jk but congratulations on having restraint and having an awesome hunt.
Hopefully it will all work out for you.

cbhunter

Me neither, and I've been doing this a long time! The old age and broken tines are the kind of stuff that get me excited even more than rack size. At a certain point in a buck's life he just says screw it and struts the woods like he owns it, and don't dare stand in his way. Those are the ones I want. While big 3 and 4 year olds are cautiously hiding in cover til dark, these monarchs are marching proud.

Good on you CB for letting him walk. Hopefully you get rewarded with the buck you're after!
It's more likely that I'll never lay eyes on any of them again 😄 I still feel like I won

Side story…..been running fever on and off for 5 days. I probably didn't feel like fooling with him either. Not saying that went through my thoughts as I looked at him but it was probably in there somewhere. No regrets either way

bigtex

It's whatever make you happy that counts.
If I knew there were better bucks out there like you do I "might" of passed as well.

DoubleRidge

It's more likely that I'll never lay eyes on any of them again 😄 I still feel like I won

Not necessarily true...I let a buck walk twice one year because he had around 9" of his main beams broke off...killed him the following year...a little wider, a little more mass and fully mature.

As for "feeling like you won'"....I get it.
Very satisfying knowing you could have but chose not to.

For the goals you have set for yourself...you made the right choice...good luck on the other target bucks.

Latest posts