Going to look for one this morning

TN Larry

Yeah if he crashed I'd be down immediately looking where I heard the crash. Dead is dead. I only wait if I'm unsure. Flashlights and headlamps are made for seeing in the dark. I don't use them walking in and out but I sure use them if I've got a deer down and it gets dark.
Agree with @TNLynn and @Ski. I'm not leaving one if I think I heard it crash and pretty sure I made a good shot. In the case of @philsanchez76 yesterday, I would have waited bc the arrow told a gut hit.

Either way, good luck and hope you found him.

Gravey

Good luck finding him. I am the same way, I avoid evening (last light) hunting, I usually come off stand about 30 minutes before that.
I do also,get down 30 minutes before dark!
That's the magic time. The last 2 bucks I've killed have been with a muzzleloader literally at the last minute of legal shooting light.

Hope you found him. Not to pile on but as others have said, if you heard him crash I'd be after him. Good luck!

philsanchez76

Shot one right before dark yesterday evening. I'm pretty sure it was a good shot and I think I heard him crash, but left him overnight just to be sure. Hopefully I will find him quickly this morning. I don't like evening hunting for this very reason, but you just have to go when you get the chance.
Oh man here we go again! I hope you found him already and are just making us wait cuz youre draggin or skinnin! mine from 2 days ago ended up being a perfect shot, just no blood and he went into an unbelievable thicket. the only meat I lost after 20 hours was the tenderloins. GL man!

C1295

I have had to many Coyotes destroy them over night... my butts taking them with me or aint leaving.

Omega

Around here, my best hunting is about 15 minutes before end of legal shooting.
That's the magic time. The last 2 bucks I've killed have been with a muzzleloader literally at the last minute of legal shooting light.

Hope you found him. Not to pile on but as others have said, if you heard him crash I'd be after him. Good luck!
Yea, I have been caught climbing down a few times. But after leaving a doe suffer all night after a bad shot some 23 years ago, I have avoided hunting last light unless I can stay out looking and field dressing. If I can't, or just don't feel like it, I get down and go home. I am not OCD, but if I have an animal down, I feel it is my responsibility to keep looking until I have exhausted every means to go after it. I have only lost one animal, which a hunting partner shot, a hog, tracked it for an hour or so at night until we came upon a creek that it went into, which was also the property line. With as much as I hear yotes at night at both of the places I currently hunt, there is no way they wouldn't find a deer if left over night.

Vince

Glad I just saw this, else would have been checking all day for an update. Hope OP found the deer he shot.

Like few others mentioned, most of my luck has been that last 15 minutes minutes before sunset. I hate having to go after the deer with a flashlight after sun light is gone but that's the time most of the deer showed up for me. I am so tempted to get out before I have to use a flashlight but last Fri, I had full intent to sit the full legal 30 min after sunset. And that paid off.

Ski

Ferris Bueller Movie GIF