Let him walk

TheLBLman

Well he could have been up to my standards but in the 30 seconds I had to judge him my first impression was 3.5 and smaller rack wise than what I originally thought and in that moment I had to either draw back and shoot him or let him go.
Well, sounds like you made the better decision in letting him walk.
Can't take a bullet (or an arrow) back.

megalomaniac

You've killed some great bucks before... what would you do with him? Cut his rack off and stick in the garage? He isn't big enough to mount for you, only weighs 180lbs. Better to kill a 200lber for more meat. Or 2 does if your freezer is empty.

I've never regretted passing up an animal. I can think of 7 or 8 I shot and wish I didn't.

I'm over 'trophy' antler scores. But I'm not shooting a 3.5yo on purpose.

TheLBLman

I'm over 'trophy' antler scores. But I'm not shooting a 3.5yo on purpose.
Same here.
One reason I'm only "targeting" (specifically pursing) bucks believed to be 5 1/2 or older is so that a mistake is more likely 4 1/2 than a 3 1/2.

Too many top-end 3 1/2's are easily mistaken and assumed 4 1/2.
And that could be exactly the case with this buck Zack passed.
It could just be a fat well-fed top-end 3 1/2.

That said, it's just as likely I may take a buck I've never seen before as one of those 5 1/2's or older I'm trying to see. I have no problem with most other hunters taking whatever, but with myself, I mainly just don't want to kill anything younger than 4 1/2, so target 5 1/2.

Most years, I have at least one 5 1/2 or older that's the "target". Hunting a specific buck is a more enjoyable challenge (to me) than just going hunting with a certain shooter buck standard. The good news is you can do both.

Ski

Well he could have been up to my standards but in the 30 seconds I had to judge him my first impression was 3.5 and smaller rack wise than what I originally thought and in that moment I had to either draw back and shoot him or let him go. Maybe I'll see him again and things will turn out differently, maybe not.

You did no harm not shooting. And don't the let anyone else sway your heart. Shoot if you want or let him walk. Totally your call. I commend you either way. Getting in bow range on a big wise buck is an accomplishment whether you shoot or not.

BSK

You did no harm not shooting. And don't the let anyone else sway your heart. Shoot if you want or let him walk. Totally your call. I commend you either way. Getting in bow range on a big wise buck is an accomplishment whether you shoot or not.
This times 1,000.

Everyone has different standards and criteria for what makes for a successful season.

Latest posts