Let him walk

ZachMarkus

IMG_5918.jpeg
IMG_6146.jpeg
Hunted this deer on the velvet hunt and never saw him. I stopped getting pictures of him, moved cameras around and couldn't find him. New property so I didn't have a lot to go on. I found a white oak and persimmon tree dropping on the edge of a small clearing in the woods. The clearing was grown up with thick weeds so I sprayed it 2 weeks ago and broke it up and planted it last week. I put a cell cam on it when I planted it but we haven't had any rain so it hasn't sprouted yet but there are acorns and persimmons all over the ground. I got pics of him in the plot the day after I planted, I made my 5th sit on him today and finally saw him. I may have messed up but he didn't look hardly as big as he did on camera and I didn't have long to make a decision so I let him go, really nice buck for the area I'm hunting but he looked like a 3.5 year old on the hoof and 125"-128". Maybe I'll see him again and get a better look but for now I don't regret my decision.
IMG_6261.jpeg

Last edited:

ZachMarkus

Great buck but I've learned if you have to think about it then you will probably regret your decision. Great job on holding off.
You're right about that, I just hope I didn't let a shooter buck walk because I didn't have long to look at him. He just didn't look near as big out of velvet which is normal but don't know if I've ever been fooled this bad. To me in this pic he looks to be 135" plus. Today when I saw him I was thinking 125". At first I thought it was a different deer but the brow tines gave him away.
IMG_5918.jpeg

rem270

You're right about that, I just hope I didn't let a shooter buck walk because I didn't have long to look at him. He just didn't look near as big out of velvet which is normal but don't know if I've ever been fooled this bad. To me in this pic he looks to be 135" plus. Today when I saw him I was thinking 125". At first I thought it was a different deer but the brow tines gave him away.View attachment 197487
Agreed he looks bigger from that back pic. I think you did the right thing by passing him knowing the caliber of bucks you hunt. Still a beautiful deer tho.

The biggest I've been fooled on was 2012 season on a 9 point I was dead set would go 140-145". Opening afternoon of rifle I seen him on the edge of a cedar thicket eating acorns. I had several mins to check him out and just couldn't figure out what was wrong or if it was the same deer. I lost sight of him and about 10 mins later my trigger happy brother killed him. Ended up being 127". From pics to seeing him on the hoof he wasn't near as wide and main beams much shorter.

Andy S.

Great buck but I've learned if you have to think about it then you will probably regret your decision. Great job on holding off.

I've always gone by if I have to think about it, it's not a shooter. Can't shoot giants shooting good deer. Cameras can and have been deceiving.

DITTO!! You have not hurt a thing letting a nice buck walk. You know what "your buck standards" are, stick to them. You can guarantee he will not ever get any bigger if you kill him. Good luck remainder of the season.

Last edited:

Volbuck777

That's a shooter all day where I live but I do believe he's 3.5 and it would be hard for me to shoot him also for that reason. I'd imagine from the pics of those deer you have some good genetics in the area. It's early, wait for the big boys. Awesome trigger restraint. I'm not sure I could do it. He's a good deer.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
Very nice buck, and those brows should give him away. On the small farm I own, I couldn't have passed him. Just way too much pressure on the deer around us now.
Same here. No way the adjacent lease folks would let those pass. Some of them have the "If it's brown it's down attitude" unfortunately.

JCDEERMAN

100% agree. Every one I've shot on hesitation, I've regretted.

I've had a handful I've gone after that looked big on camera, and when I've seen them on the hoof, I just didn't want to shoot them. 2 were 4 1/2's within 20 yards and I just wasn't impressed. One of them I do kind of regret passing - I think he died a couple months later of natural causes. Other than that, I never regret passing good up-and-comer bucks.

Ski

If you weren't excited in the tree, you likely wouldn't have been excited when you climbed down to get him. Only you know what you saw. But just for fun I tallied up an estimate score based off other racks I've measured that look similar.

20" beams
6" brows
10" g2
9" g3
4" c1
3.5" c2
3.5" c3
2" c4

That 58" of bone each side. Double it for 116" then add a 16" spread to give a conservative 132". That's based off the one hard horn pic you have so it's quite possible I'm seeing something differently than somebody else, so I tried being conservative. I think his beams are probably more like 22", and right g2 probably 10".

This buck is similar. He measures 131".

20231002_080333.jpg

ZachMarkus

Good job passing him, I'm not interested in inches of antler. Ive never regretted a deer I've shot. But different strokes for different folks.
Make no mistake inches of antler isn't what saved this deer. I mean he is going to score less than what I thought originally but I didn't shoot him because the last few years I've been trying to only shoot older bucks and I really think he's a 3.5 year old deer.

Latest posts