Kifaru Tents and Packs

ghosthunter

I'm hoping to go elk hunting out west in a couple of years and would like to start purchasing all of my gear now. This gear will not only be used out west but also right here close to home, so I want to buy quality. I've done some research about Kifaru products and I especially like the packable stove with the tents and the internal frame design pack that is removable for hauling out game. I just don't like the price. They are very proud of their products, but it just might be worth it. If any of you have experience with these products I'd like to know if they are worth the price.

PO Cedar

Kifaru has a loyal following and strive to satisfy their customers.If I anticipated making trips that had weight restrictions or traveled by air and used my own gear, I would say the Kifaru shelters are the ideal way to go. Alaskan bush pilots limit gear going in,if group backpacking into a remote camp is the way you want to hunt(in less than ideal weather conditions)-Kifaru or Titanium Goat makes a product that will get the job done. Collapsible lightweight stoves are not going to be airtight and will not hold a fire without constant stoking--the "up" side is that wet clothes can be dried out,heat can be used just before retiring at night,etc.... Depending on the hunter party size---if a person is going to solo backpack in he might consider a cheaper alternative shelter--Golite Hex 3 or the Western Mountaineer Kiva--pyramid-shaped "tipis" that are cheaper and can be retrofitted with a stove port to accomodate either the titanium stoves offered by Titanium Goat or the stoves made by Kifaru. Ti Goat sells the "versaport" stove port for 40.00. I haven't researched the Kifaru line of packs but they are rated up at the top with Mystery Ranch packs for quality and comfort. The biggest problem with making a purchase years before you use it is the backpack/ultralight shelters are constantly being improved on/made lighter and what you buy today will be upgraded or obsolete in a few years,(like buying expensive compound bows,depreciates with technological advances)--GOOD LUCK!!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Kifaru packs are nice no doubt, but are you gonna use it enough to justify its cost? PO named off some excellent other tipi choices and you can google some of the stoves until you are blue in the face. Some guys use Pepsi cans and stovepipes that they have modified. I would end up burning my shelter down if I had to rely on a stove I built ;) I personally am gonna go the tent route and have been looking at Hilleberg tents. Speaking of which...I'm gonna have to start working some overtime :D

ghosthunter

I've checked out the Golite hex 3 and it seems to be reasonably priced but can't find anything about it being retrofitted for a stove port. Is this something that you request when ordering?

PO Cedar

I plan on using a bivy sack with a lightwt. tarp stretched overhead above the head opening if I do the sheep hunt next season. I've got one now but have been looking at some of the more pricey ones. I figure I'll take the one I have now as a backup in case something unexpected happens to the other one. If the hunt works out I'll make a trial run with the gear out there in the summer to scout,see if the gear I take is applicable to the terrain. I don't anticipate many changes from my existing gear,its served me well. The shelter has been the only trial-and-error item thus far. I just can't make a single-wall shelter work for me--condensation inside with every shelter I've tried. I always used a heavier 2 wall backpacking(A-frame first/dome later) with a mesh roof and a coated rainfly and I never had any condensation issues. Tried to go "ultralight" and I ended up starting my pre-dawn mornings with a cold shower!!

PO Cedar

No, that's a modification you'll have to do by buying Titanium Goat's stove port and then getting it sewn in. Other companies sell the stove port but Ti Goat's new "versaport" allows you to close up the stove port opening in mild weather or when you opt to leave the stove at home. Ti Goat will recommend and also make the port to custom fit your shelter if you let them know what it is going in.Some folks have taken the "Outback Lodge" by Cabelas and sewn in a stove port to accomodate the larger wood stoves. I bought a canvas/fiberglass stove port from Tentsmiths and had it sewn in the back door flap of one of my wall tents so I could use a wood stove in it. "Panther Primitives" sells them too, but like Tentsmiths, they deal in reinactment tents,wall tents, etc... of marine canvas. Ti Goat has the port for silnylon tents.

PO Cedar

I had new tires put on the truck Wednesday and just got through packing the bearings in my trailer. I'll carry everything I need for the seven weeks I'm out there in the trailer and in half of the rear of the truck. I leave room to sleep on the passenger side of the rear of the truck going out.If any meat comes back it can go in the trailer and the camping gear can be put in the back of the truck. Colorado is full of SuperWalmarts and their groceries cost about the same as ours so its better to pick them up just before heading up the mountain.
adventuretrailer004.jpg

PO Cedar

Another reason for going lighweight/compact is the rising cost of fuel to travel to these hunting spots. If a person can lighten the load and downsize with equipment it will allow for the purchase of a more energy-efficient hunting vehicle. I'm hearing 3.50 for regular grade gas by the time I leave for Colorado next month. I was paying 3.26 LAST year in Colorado and that was 86 octane regular grade.

Radar

PO Cedar said:
Another reason for going lighweight/compact is the rising cost of fuel to travel to these hunting spots. If a person can lighten the load and downsize with equipment it will allow for the purchase of a more energy-efficient hunting vehicle. I'm hearing 3.50 for regular grade gas by the time I leave for Colorado next month. I was paying 3.26 LAST year in Colorado and that was 86 octane regular grade.

How is your mid-size Dodge on gas ?

PO Cedar

Its the 4.7 V8 w/ 4wheel drive. Loaded down and towing the little trailer each year results in 6 fillups(18 gallon tank) one way. 70mph until Colorado which has a posted 75mph speed limit.

Latest posts