Catch and release Alaska Moose

megalomaniac

Just got back from my 2 week trip... absolutely incredible, one of the most fun experiences I have been on!

A little background... this was a total DIY hunt, no guides, no outfitters, no 'drop camp 'DIY''. Plan was to fly into a pond with my buddy and his AIRE Cougar raft, portage 1/3 mile to a creek, assemble the raft and walk it down 3 miles to the river, then float hunt 60 miles to the take out spot. My buddy has done this before several times, but always had his air taxi drop him off on a gravel bar on the river and pick him up on a gravel bar downstream. Well, the air taxi had his beaver on floats this year instead of wheels, so we had to opt for water locations for drop with 800 ft of 4ft water depth to be dropped off and picked up. Thus the reason for the planned portage at the beginning and end of the trip. Plan was to live off the land for 10 days supplemented with high calorie food such a power bars and nuts.

Well, lightening struck and my buddys wife had major exploratory surgery Sept 2nd. She recovered a bit more slowly than we all hoped, so we pushed our trip back to arrive on the 17th (season opens 10th). Because she was still a bit touch and go when it was time to leave, and the length of time it would take us to float down to an extraction pond if we got the emergency text he had to return, we decided to make a total change of plans and fly into a pond about 4 miles south of the river I had e-scouted and do a drop camp there for quick extraction if needed. Since we weren't bringing the raft, we piled up groceries, a case of beer, some whiskey, and abandoned the idea of living off fish for the week.

Day 1. Left New Orleans at 7am. Arrived in bush camp that evening at 7pm (Alaska time... 10p CST) Set up tent, started gravity water filter and camp. Bush pilot had covid and was hacking and coughing in the little tiny DeHavilland Beaver. Great, gonna get sick while in the bush.

Day 2. Started calling and glassing from our designated high spot. This 1/2 mile long pond was surrounded by tundra but with 2 small willow filled creeks on either side 1.5 miles away draining down to the main river. Nothing but a couple caribou 800y away, so we started hiking to check out the creeks. Found exactly 1 set of moose tracks 1.5 miles away in one of the creeks, caught a ton on 6 to 7 in rainbows, but nothing worth keeping to eat. Foraged a ton of King Bolete mushrooms all around. Saw a grizzly about a mile away. Shot several ptarmagin with the bow for supper. All in all, we hiked 10 miles and were a bit discouraged by the lack of moose sign. Fair weather, a bit of rain here and there, but not too bad. One of the local semi celebrities had already killed 4 big bulls in his family, so he gave us 4 lbs of moose steaks to take with us... they were FABULOUS!

Day 3. Back to the calling spot but crazy windy and rainy. Hiked another mile away from camp to another high spot and found a shooter bull about 2.5 miles further away... might have as well been on the moon. Hiked back to camp and set up for the afternoon under the awning a half mile in the opposite direction. Saw some caribou and a grizzly 600y away. Called and glassed for a couple hours, got bored and hiked another mile that way to another high spot. Set up there glassing in 30mph winds and rain without finding any moose sign. Made a tower of caribou sheds to leave for someone else to find in the future. Picked a bunch more boletes, the ptarmagin were not as trusting of us after harassing them the day before. Hiked 5 miles.

Day 4. Back to the original calling spot in the rain and wind and glassed for hours. At this point we were realizing the moose had already migrated through this area to the main river and we started contemplating extracting and relocating to another small lake 30 miles south. We hung in there until sunset without seeing anything other than a cow and calf 2 miles from camp. Called the pilot for an afternoon extraction and relocation the afternoon of Day 5.

Day 5. Replay of before, but less wind and rain abated mid day. No sign, no moose. Broke camp and relocated at 4p to a new spot. New spot we did not have high rez maps of and it was very very thick with 10-12ft tall alders and shorter willows in the drains. We explored just a bit looking for an open glassing spot and found a ton of fresh moose sign! Set up camp, then heard a bull grunting 30 or 40 times coming toward camp (presumably checking out our crashing through the alders), but he didn't come out of the thick alders and we just stayed quiet since you can't hunt the same day after you fly. But things looking up for the morning!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001_163117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_163117_Gallery.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20231001_163035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_163035_Gallery.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20231001_163026_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_163026_Gallery.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20231001_163014_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_163014_Gallery.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20231001_162950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162950_Gallery.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20231001_162849_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162849_Gallery.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_20231001_162907_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162907_Gallery.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20231001_162724_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162724_Gallery.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20231001_162713_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162713_Gallery.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20231001_162800_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_162800_Gallery.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 148

megalomaniac

Day 6. We decided to just call from camp itself, as we had a long valley heading away from the pond we could see fairly well. Nothing until 2pm, when we heard crashing and thrashing in the alders 80 yards away. I got set up ready to shoot, and this borderline bull came out of the alders, walked straight thru camp 22 yards away. My buddy would have shot him with his bow if we were certain he was 50 inches wide or he had 3 brow tines, but alas, only 2 brow tines, and right on the bubble of being 50 inches. We let him walk on by grunting and thrashing bushes and took a ton of pics and video. If dewlaps were the measure of the trophy, he would have made book! But still and incredible experience. Around 5pm, I spotted a shooter bull with a cow 800 away up the valley. He was really nice, prob 58in, but had a huge left paddle with a wrinkle. Right paddle was large but curved up instead of out. I told my friend I would be happy to kill him. We called to him hoping he would push his cow down toward us, but she took him over the saddle and away. We were starving and just about to start supper, but decided we should push after him. Grabbed a couple apples and some beef jerky, then hiked up to the crest of the ridge working toward the saddle they went over. Wind was totally wrong, but too thick to try to loop around. Just as we got to the saddle, the cow came up out of the valley below spooked by our stink (and we WERE stinking by this point) headed away. I quickly moved up to look in the valley below and spotted the bull 150 yards away. Not sure if he smelled us, but he was headed away following the cow. I got set up on the shooting sticks and put the first round into him just behind the last rib quartering away. Bullet hit hard, he lurched a bit, then turned 90 degrees going uphill exposing his other side downhill at a 45 degree angle. Sent another one, but didn't hear that bullet hit. Sent a 3rd round into him at 200 yards just as he was about to go over the rise. Again, bullet hit hard. We high fived, waited a few minutes and started on the track. Had a bit of trouble locating exactly where he went over the rise, but once we found that, there was good blood.... but muscle blood. No lung blood, no gut blood, just muscle blood. Uh oh... we tracked him about 250 yards through the awful thick stuff finding blood here and there, but becoming more spotty. Eventually we hit a patch of open tundra covered with moss and lost the trail right before dark. Being in crazy thick stuff in the middle of grizzly country, I made the call to back out and come back in daylight the following day. LOTS of moose sign, tracks, beds. Sick feeling in my gut.

Day 7. Called again from camp at daylight for a couple hours for my buddy, then started back on the track of my bull. We got back to the spot of last blood (about 1200y from camp) and started a grid search. About 250 yards further away, I found a speck of blood on a trail! I called my buddy over and we got back on the track. We followed a combination of track and an occasional speck of blood (still all muscle blood, no lung or gut) for another 500 yards until we came to a high crest with a long vantage. We sat down there glassing and found my bull bedded 1000 yards further away in a small opening. We called to him and he stood up and started walking at a 45angle toward us but disappeared into the alders. He didn't even appear injured. With him being now almost 2 miles from camp, our plan was to lead him back to us with cow calls working back to camp and I would shoot him with my buddys rifle less than a mile from camp. But alas, we never saw him again after that.

Day 8. Cow moaning at first light 800y in the opposite direction from where we called. Called from camp all morning long, then hiked to where she was calling from. Nasty thick stuff, lots of beds, tracks and droppings, but no moose. Back to calling at camp for our last full day. Cannibalized wood from a beaver lodge on the lake and built a nice fire.

Day 9, last day of season. Called for a few hours that morning, broke camp and buddy got the text he needed to come home as both their kids had gotten a virus and were sick. He was going to have to bow out of the planned fishing trips we had booked for after moose season ended. Pilot picked us up and we made a few circles around where we last saw the bull I shot, but didn't see him. Did see another small bull and a shooter bull about 2 miles from camp in a direction we never went. Got back to the tiny town and sorted gear and got the first shower in 9 days... Man, that felt great! Buddy got his flights rearranged but I decided I wanted to keep the bookings and fish for the next few days.

Day 10, back to Anchorage, ate lunch at the Moose's Tooth, then my buddy flew back to the states and I drove down to the Kenai Peninsula and spent the night in Soldotna. Fished the middle Kenai with a guide for the 2nd silver salmon run, and caught 3 (limit). Fishing was slower than I expected but still fun. Was very disappointed with the fights. Perhaps I'm spoiled on redfish, but salmon are total wussies compared to reds. Guide wasn't interested in getting me on some trophy rainbows. Drove down to Homer and checked in the Land's End Hotel (Highly recommend if anyone goes to Homer to fish). Got in the hot tub overlooking the Kachemak Bay and watched sea otters frolicking all around.

Day 11, headed out on a 5 pack charter to the Cook inlet for kings and halibut. These were small 'feeder' kings this time of the year, around 8-10lbs each. And don't fight hard either. Picked up our limit of halibut in short order, but no barn doors.

Day 12, back on a 6 pack charter for a replay of the day before. Kings were stubborn, but since the seas were glass calm (which never happens), we ran 40 miles across the inlet to a halibut honey hole. We literally caught all our overs in about 30 minutes, caught a few more including a 90lb er we released. Somehow I managed to tail hook my halibut. That was the most miserable experience of my life... reeling up a 45lb halibut tail hooked in 5 knot currents with a 4lb weight to get down to 170 feet. I almost had to pass the rod off to someone else, arms still spent today.

Got back to the dock a little before 4p, picked up my fish that were vacuum sealed and frozen and packed from the 2 prior days and drove back to Anchorage. Ate at Spenard's Roadhouse (on recommendation from a TN Deer member)- was fabulous!

Day 13, yesterday, got on the plane back to the states at 2am AK time and arrived back in NOLA at 5p. Slept for 9 hours last night, did 4 loads of clothes, sorted gear, mowed lawn, etc today.

Absolutely one of the best trips I've ever been on... I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Reflections on what to do differently... I def would want to be there on season opening. Bulls were completely locked down with cows 2nd half of season. Never saw a shooter bull that wasn't with a cow (saw 4 or 5 shooters on the flight out of the bush).

Wrong load. I really believe what caused the loss of the animal was bullet failure. I brought my 7mm WSM loaded with 140g accubonds at 3350 fps. I've killed several deer and antelope with it, all DRT, no tracking on any of them (but closest was 300y). I had no reservations about the accubond integrity even at those velocites, but I was a bit concerned when I shot a soft skinned varmit with it at first camp and it completely eviscerated it. I know my first shot was spot on as I touched off the trigger, and I suspect the bullet exploded and didn't penetrate into the vitals. 2nd shot may or may not have hit, but 3rd def was spot on as well. In the 750 yards we trailed the animal, he never bedded once. I brought that rifle and load in the event of a 500y shot, but the 2nd camp was a close encounter kind of place. I'll take that rifle again, but use 160s at 2900 fps instead.

Thanks to all you you guys who sent me PMs with advice from gear to techniques, and even places to eat. Hard to come back to the 'real world' after a trip like that!

Andy S.

Sounds like a great experience, you definitely made the most out of a very fluid travel situation. Hopefully you will get another opportunity. How far was first shot? On the Alaska hunting forums, I have read stories of kids taking their first Moose with .243 and 7-08 at close range.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Definitely makes me re-affirm if I go after moose it will be with the 35 whelen or 300 win mag. Thank you for the great story, sorry it did not end up with a moose on the ground.

megalomaniac

Sounds like a great experience, you definitely made the most out of a very fluid travel situation. Hopefully you will get another opportunity. How far was first shot? On the Alaska hunting forums, I have read stories of kids taking their first Moose with .243 and 7-08 at close range.
150y was first shot, 180 or so by 3rd. Pretty close. Maybe I just made some terrible shots, but all 3 felt great when I pulled the trigger

Snowwolfe

Congratulations on the wonderful experience. I'll pass along a few thoughts for you to consider for future Alaskan hunts.

Your timing was correct. Guessing I have 15 moose hunts under my belt and the general rule my buddy's and I always followed was to go as late as possible for the following reasons:
1. More bulls will be in the rut meaning they are easier to call in
2. Less bugs
3. Cooler temperatures which help protect the meat if you do shoot one.

As far as rifle/caliber selection goes your rifle was a decent choice, under optimum conditions. That being a clear broadside shot maybe 100-200 yards away or less. However, moose hunting usually doesn't involve perfect conditions most of the time. The majority of moose hunters I know all carry at least a 30 caliber shooting 180 grain bullets. Many go larger such as the 338's, 35's, 9.3, 375, etc. 30-06 and 300 Win Mag are excellent choices. These guys know they might be presented a less than optimum shot where they must penetrate through a couple of feet of tissue before hitting a vital organ on a quartering away shot. Generally speaking bulls are easy to kill, double lung one and they will tip over in 30 seconds or so. If you want to take back the same rifle consider going with a 175 grain bullet.

Yes, you read of stories all the time where a 30-30, 243, 7mm/08, etc was used with good results. But in most of these cases daddy made junior wait for the perfect shot while he had a more powerful rifle for back up.

Another reason (maybe the most important reason) you want a more powerful rifle is bears! Moose hunting and grizzly's usually overlap. Not only do you need to protect yourself and your camp but the real fun starts once you kill a moose. The smell will draw in any bear close by and if he is hungry you have serious issues to contend with.

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Congratulations on the wonderful experience. I'll pass along a few thoughts for you to consider for future Alaskan hunts.

Your timing was correct. Guessing I have 15 moose hunts under my belt and the general rule my buddy's and I always followed was to go as late as possible for the following reasons:
2. Less bugs

As far as rifle/caliber selection goes your rifle was a decent choice, under optimum conditions. That being a clear broadside shot maybe 100-200 yards away or less. However, moose hunting usually doesn't involve perfect conditions most of the time. The majority of moose hunters I know all carry at least a 30 caliber shooting 180 grain bullets. Many go larger such as the 338's, 35's, 9.3, 375, etc. 30-06 and 300 Win Mag are excellent choices. These guys know they might be presented a less than optimum shot where they must penetrate through a couple of feet of tissue before hitting a vital organ on a quartering away shot. Generally speaking bulls are easy to kill, double lung one and they will tip over in 30 seconds or so. If you want to take back the same rifle consider going with a 175 grain bullet.

Yes, you read of stories all the time where a 30-30, 243, 7mm/08, etc was used with good results. But in most of these cases daddy made junior wait for the perfect shot while he had a more powerful rifle for back up.

Another reason (maybe the most important reason) you want a more powerful rifle is bears! Moose hunting and grizzly's usually overlap. Not only do you need to protect yourself and your camp but the real fun starts once you kill a moose. The smell will draw in any bear close by and if he is hungry you have serious issues to contend with.

2. Less bugs

Ty for all your tips before the hunt!

The unit we were in was Sept 10 thru 25, and by the time we got into the bush on Sept 17th, ALL the shooters were locked down with cows. We were really hoping we would have a shooter come to investigate our calling after finishing with a cow, but it didn't happen.

As far as bears... I was carrying a .45 LC hot loaded with cast lead 285g WC at 1200 fps. My buddy had a 460 s&W. We had already made arrangements that if a bear attacked us, the victim would lay flat on the ground with the partner dropping to a knee and shooting the bear 18in above and parallel to ground to kill the bear and not shoot the partner. I was never scared of bears, but had a VERY healthy respect for them. My biggest fear about bears was coming back to camp and finding our food in a bear proof cache was taken off while we were away and we were left to live in an area without the option to procure food from fishing. You can only eat so many mushrooms, bush cranberries, and crowberries to function on for a day or 2.

Henry

Great read!!!

Glad your hunting buddy got called back for kids being ill and not the wife having complications and heading back to surgery.

Thank you for taking the time to write up your adventure...more please!!!

AT Hiker

As far as bears... I was carrying a .45 LC hot loaded with cast lead 285g WC at 1200 fps. My buddy had a 460 s&W. We had already made arrangements that if a bear attacked us, the victim would lay flat on the ground with the partner dropping to a knee and shooting the bear 18in above and parallel to ground to kill the bear and not shoot the partner. I was never scared of bears, but had a VERY healthy respect for them. .....
@Buzzard Breath take note, you lay flat and I'll "spray" and you "pray".

Thanks for the write up/pics mega. Sounds like an absolute blast of a trip. Hate how the situation played out with the shot/bullet but your attitude and the overall experience sounds like it made the trip all worth it.

I am going to remember, or attempt to, those restaurants for our upcoming trip.

Thanks for taking the time the give us the recap!

Buzzard Breath

Congrats on an awesome hunt, even without a moose it was a great read. I hope your buddy's family is recovered. Thanks for taking the time to post a recap and share it with us.

fairchaser

Great story Mega! I read every word and was fascinated at the highs and lows of the trip. That's what makes an adventure. You got home safe without injury or illness. That's a blessing.

Glad you brought home some meat even if it was halibut and salmon. I'll be happy to swap some moose venison for your fish anytime!

Latest posts