DIY Alaska Moose

DPinTN

I did this exact trip in 2012. Happy to help with any questions.
09AF6E59-7284-4DF0-A424-7D04FF44BD52.jpeg

megalomaniac

3 weeks till departure!

Ive worked up to 70 minutes at a time on the treadmill at 15% incline at 3mph with a 45lb pack on. Should be up to 60lbs by the time I leave.

Pretty much have all the gear assembled, licenses in hand as well as locking tag. Have the float itinerary planned out. Not going to start till Sept 15th, so if anyone else has planned to float the same river, they should be well ahead of us (season opens Sept 10th). Have to land in a puddle, portage gear half mile to a creek, then float/ walk the raft pontoons down the creek 1.5 miles till we hit the river. Set up camp, assemble the cataraft, and fish for supper. Prob spend 3 days there before we go 10 miles downstream to 2nd campsite. Stay there a few days, then camp 3 15 miles further down. Take out spot is a lake a half mile portage off the main river 60 miles downstream from where we started.

Going to be the adventure of my lifetime!

C1295

Oh man, That sounds like a dream come true for 90% of us on here. Good luck brother Keep us posted and take lots of pictures!

megalomaniac

Sept. 15th.....And so it begins.... really looking forward to some pics and tales. Good luck!
Well, I'm still in MS...

My friends wife had emergent exploratory surgery for a twisted colon with bowel resection and anastamosis 2 weeks ago.

So we pushed back leaving till the 17th, which will only give us the last 7 days of the season to hunt and get it done. Not ideal, but what can you do....

I already had today off from work, bags already packed... so I went fishing.

Bit of a grind, but found some reds that wanted to eat the topwater whopper plopper back in the skinny water. Several short trout, and 1 keeper flounder

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_124921_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_124921_Gallery.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20230915_124930_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_124930_Gallery.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 67

Antler Daddy

That sucks!

I am sure you know, but it can get pretty cold and rivers begin to freeze up in late September. Unless you have a ton of already committed expenses, you might just want to push a year. Weather delays on either end of a hunt are real possibility. 7 days will be tight to get two bulls, but not impossible. It will make for a great story.

Godspeed, safe travels and best of luck. Cant wait to read about it and see the photos.

DPinTN

That sucks!

I am sure you know, but it can get pretty cold and rivers begin to freeze up in late September. Unless you have a ton of already committed expenses, you might just want to push a year. Weather delays on either end of a hunt are real possibility. 7 days will be tight to get two bulls, but not impossible. It will make for a great story.

Godspeed, safe travels and best of luck. Cant wait to read about it and see the photos.
Completely agree this is possible. We were delayed 3 days going in due to weather and pulled out 1 day early due to weather coming in all within a 15 day hunt. The guys that decided to stick it out had to wait 4 days after season for planes to be able to fly and get them. That was after the wind blew so hard it snapped their tent poles. 😳

fairchaser

The logistics of a successful trip like this are mind boggling. You just have to go with the flow and understand the reason these adventures take a couple weeks. You probably won't get all those days to hunt! My moose hunt got postponed for two years due to Covid but we finally got it in last fall. Best of luck and God speed!

Shanman

September sure is a special time of year up there but can change quickly depending on the area you are in. Truly hope you guys get to go and have a fantastic adventure, better be sharing pics and stories with all of us jealous guys too!!! 😉
More than anything I hope your buddy's wife is better and doing well. Safe travels Mega! 👍

DoubleRidge

Hope your buddys wife is doing better and that yall can get your trip in and have a great hunt! Take plenty of pictures. Already looking forward to hearing the stories when you return.

tree_ghost

Mega what an adventure dude! this is in my sights at some point down the road but in the meantime I am really looking forward to watching through this process over the next year. Keep us posted!

megalomaniac

Well, plans changing by the minute... bush pilot must be jammed up Monday, so looks like I'm gonna go from New Orleans ALL the way into the bush tomorrow. Will mean setting up a minimalistic camp on a tiny creek, spending the night there, but then portage 3 miles down the creek to main camp site and begin hunting Monday instead of Tuesday.

So that means I'll get 7.5 days hunting instead of 7 days if it works out.

Time to man up!

Last edited:

Latest posts