Catch and release Alaska Moose

megalomaniac

Great story Mega! I read every word and was fascinated at the highs and lows of the trip. That's what makes an adventure. You got home safe without injury or illness. That's a blessing.

Glad you brought home some meat even if it was halibut and salmon. I'll be happy to swap some moose venison for your fish anytime!
DEAL!!!!!

I had no idea moose was that good. I can see why my buddy would have shot the small bull with his bow at the waters edge if he was legal just for the meat!

Ski

DEAL!!!!!

I had no idea moose was that good. I can see why my buddy would have shot the small bull with his bow at the waters edge if he was legal just for the meat!

Moose is delicious, even the fat. Not like deer fat at all. My wife is Eskimo. Her family rely on moose fat for everything they cook. They use it like lard.

megalomaniac

That halibut is worth the trip!!!
Halibut is my favorite fish for sure... I think it's impossible to mess up.

But it's $35 per pound plus overnight shipping (which isn't cheap... my last day of fishing cost me $200 to have shipped overnight to my door!).

I will say this... the wild caught salmon is pretty incredible. My wife HATES salmon, refuses to eat it... but she has only had it a few times... just the farm raised crap at restaurants or stores. I cooked some with the halibut Sunday eve and begged her try just a bite. She did, then took the 8oz fillet and ate the whole thing without saving me any 😞

we are having salmon and halibut again tonight!!!

megalomaniac

Moose is delicious, even the fat. Not like deer fat at all. My wife is Eskimo. Her family rely on moose fat for everything they cook. They use it like lard.
Wow!!! In that case, I ever kill one, I'll be sure to save all the fat for sure! Great tip!!!

Ski

Making me think... are the fatty cuts like brisket the best part of the moose?

No idea. I'm too white to eat anything but the steaks and roasts. They utilize everything down to the marrow. But they also eat salmon eyeballs raw, rotten beaver tail, etc. What's normal for them often grosses me out lol. We keep a jar of seal oil in the freezer as a novelty thing for when guests ask about her culture. It doesn't freeze. Her aunts dip whale blubber in it and eat it like we dip nachos in queso. My daughter eats all that weird stuff too, but even my wife draws the line at dried caribou meat. Not the daughter. She eats it all.

Ski

But it's $35 per pound plus overnight shipping (which isn't cheap... my last day of fishing cost me $200 to have shipped overnight to my door!).

I will say this... the wild caught salmon is pretty incredible. My wife HATES salmon, refuses to eat it... but she has only had it a few times... just the farm raised crap at restaurants or stores. I cooked some with the halibut Sunday eve and begged her try just a bite. She did, then took the 8oz fillet and ate the whole thing without saving me any 😞

When we lived up there our upright freezer stayed full of halibut and salmon. We ate fish probably 4 nights a week for dinner. Plus I'd fly fish for trout and char. When we moved down to the lower 48 we would order crab and halibut cheeks for Thanksgiving dinner, but now it's just too cost prohibitive. Really miss being up there. Someday ....

bigtex

Great write up, thanks for taking us along.
I wish you would of had better luck on the Moose, but that's hunting for ya.
Sounds like the fishing and sightseeing was well worth the trip.
Hope your Buds family are doing better.

fairchaser

DEAL!!!!!

Next time you are heading to West TN, let me know and we will work out a swap. Moose venison is out of this world! But, so is halibut!

bowhunterfanatic

As good as the halibut I've eaten was I'd say worth every penny!!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled

I have a brother that lives in Soldotna and his Thai wife catches the snot out of salmon every year. They sent us about 15 pounds of it a last year, and it was by far the best tasting salmon we've ever had. My brother doesn't really hunt (weird I know) otherwise I'd have him send me some moose meat!

Latest posts