Is Grier going to even be a Gator next year?

gator-n-buck

baddnole":3jxrme2b said:
gator-n-buck":3jxrme2b said:
farmin68":3jxrme2b said:
Grier has played his last snap at UF.

I guess your information was incorrect. He's returning to the team in Jan. after the bowl game per CJM... :tu:[/quote I found some other info on his suspension. Grier can practice with Florida, after all — though he hasn't done so since his suspension, seemingly at the direction of Jim McElwain and as an effort to minimize distractions for the Gators. He just can't travel with the team. This clears up some questions. Now he will have to take a couple more tests,and if he passes he can play in late October. :tu:

Will he wait to play or transfer before the semester starts?

I believe CJM and Grier sorted that out durning their meeting this weekend... :)

baddnole

gator-n-buck":zag1f4y7 said:
Looks like this might of taken another turn today..... :(

Source: Gators' Will Grier to transfer

BOB REDMAN
12:05 PM
Team sources have informed FightinGators.com that Florida redshirt freshman quarterback Will Grier approached the coaching staff this week and will transfer.

baddnole

CWm43LiU8AElxya.jpg

PalsPal

Wow, this guy nails it! I still think it was Grier's dad's tweet :mrgreen: !

From the beginning, something just didn't feel right about the Will Grier saga. Even from the beginning. And now, with the quarterback planning to transfer from Florida, the story ends just after it started.

The transfer, no doubt, will be related to Grier's much-publicized 12-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. That suspension cost him half the 2015 season and will cost him at least six more games, wherever and whenever he lands. My guess is Grier will say he just needed a fresh start, that the attention the suspension drew, and the accompanying scrutiny, were just too much to overcome. That part I get.

Yet there is so much about his brief tenure I didn't get. Such as:

* Grier and Treon Harris came in together, but Grier had a head start, enrolling early. Still, somehow, in the fall of 2014, coach Will Muschamp and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper decided Harris was more ready than Grier to be the backup to Jeff Driskel. Part of that was that Grier had a minor back injury. Part was that he faced small-school opponents in high school while Harris was facing big-time high school talent. Still, after seeing what I have from both, how in the world was Harris ever ahead?

* This season, it was clear that Grier was much better, that Harris really struggled trying to run Jim McElwain's pro-style offense. Yet, throughout fall camp, we were often told how close the competition was; so much so that Harris actually started the opener.

* Grier became the starter after that and played more in the second game, but you got the feeling that McElwain almost begrudgingly made that decision. It just seemed like something bugged him about his quarterback.

* When Grier evolved into the full-time starter by the Kentucky game, you couldn't help but notice that McElwain was terse and matter of fact when discussing him in news conferences. He rarely called him by name and seemed to point out the mistakes more than give Grier credit individually. A common narrative developed that McElwain always had been like that with his quarterbacks, but it felt like there was more to it than that. And he was much more complimentary of Harris when he became the fulltime starter.

* Then Grier gets popped for performance-enhancing drugs. Who in college sports ever gets suspended for that? NFL players often get four-game suspensions for it. Major League Baseball Players get 50- and 100-game bans. But college guys? Almost never. Grier says it was from taking an over-the-counter supplement. I have no reason not to believe him, but it is one of the strangest suspensions I have seen in more than 35 years of covering this stuff.

* After the suspension, McElwain reportedly asked Grier to stay away from the team rather than practice with them. He could have been the best scout-team quarterback going, particularly when the Gators were set to face dropback passers in FSU's Sean Maguire and Alabama's Jake Coker. But the coach reportedly didn't want him around.

* Then, just a few days ago, McElwain announced Grier would rejoin the team January 5 and would be full go. During that announcement, McElwain sounded supportive; he also seemed sad for Grier because he had had to undergo such scrutiny and seemed appreciative of how Grier had handled it. He said knowing how hard it was on Grier made him "sick to my stomach." It was the first sign, at least to me, that the coach and quarterback were on the same page. It's almost as if there was a newfound respect.

* Then, suddenly, the saga ends with a transfer. Odd. Grier's quickest trip back to the playing field would be staying at Florida, in an offense he knows, with the competition coming from only the overmatched Harris, a transfer (Luke Del Rio) who has thrown all of 18 college passes and two true freshmen. Now, if he goes to another FBS school, he has to sit out the 2016 season, then serve the six-game suspension. Only if he goes down a level or to a junior college can he play without sitting out the full year.

Yes, I've seen plenty of cases like this, where a guy just needs a new start. Actually, that was the case with Jeff Driskel, who, in retrospect, would have been a terrific fit for McElwain's offense but had had enough ups and downs that he believed he needed a fresh start. Apparently, Grier feels the same way.

Clearly, there could be far more to the story. Maybe Grier was a bit entitled, causing his coach to sound a little more harsh when talking about him. And maybe Grier grew up a great deal through it all and caused his coach to truly appreciate how he matured and handled it. That is what I thought.

Until this.

farmin68

gator-n-buck":3ciauo4o said:
farmin68":3ciauo4o said:

I guess your information was incorrect. He's returning to the team in Jan. after the bowl game per CJM... :tu:
Umm...could you repeat that, please? :mrgreen: :rotf:

gator-n-buck

baddnole":21zua01o said:
farmin68":21zua01o said:
gator-n-buck"[quote="farmin68":21zua01o said:

I guess your information was incorrect. He's returning to the team in Jan. after the bowl game per CJM... :tu:
Umm...could you repeat that, please? :mrgreen: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:[/quote]

Lucky guess...... 50/50..... :)

PalsPal

Gravey":1soa8r3s said:
Why is be leaving and where is be going? Seems the starting qb at Florida is a pretty good gig.

It's pretty obvious he didn't like the way Mac handled it. I don't understand the reasoning not letting him stay with the team after the suspension. He could have continued to practice, albeit a scout team QB, and polish his skills. And as the article mentioned, it would have been good for the Gator D to work against him in preparation for some of the QBs they faced.

Oh well, looks like a screwed up deal, and UF will most likely flush next season as a result :) !

gator-n-buck

Gravey":32ok33yu said:
Why is be leaving and where is be going? Seems the starting qb at Florida is a pretty good gig.

From all indications, Grier felt that UF is looking to go in a different direction. UF will be getting ready a transfer jr. and two true fr. for next season. Grier wouldn't be getting any snaps during practice this Spring or next season so it would almost be impossible for him to step in during game #7 next season. Since Grier will be losing the whole season anyways and he would be a distraction to the team. It was probably best for Grier and UF to move on..... :)

Probably will end up at UNC or Duke since he is from there but you never know.......... :tu:

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/12/1/ ... nt-him-out

PalsPal

gator-n-buck":3kpu9065 said:
Grier wouldn't be getting any snaps during practice this Spring or next season so it would almost be impossible for him to step in during game #7 next season.

Don't leave out the fact that is by Mac's choice, not the NCAA's ;) !

So, it would be possible to have him ready to step right in and steady the Gators next year mid season, but Mac obviously hates him :D !

gator-n-buck

PalsPal":2fiab42r said:
gator-n-buck":2fiab42r said:
Grier wouldn't be getting any snaps during practice this Spring or next season so it would almost be impossible for him to step in during game #7 next season.

Don't leave out the fact that is by Mac's choice, not the NCAA's ;) !

So, it would be possible to have him ready to step right in and steady the Gators next year mid season, but Mac obviously hates him :D !

I guess you couldn't figure out the first line????

"From all indications, Grier felt that UF is looking to go in a different direction."

"UF" is basically Mac since he's the head coach. I'm not sure there's enough snaps to go around for three QBs once the season starts. It's a little different for kickers, I'm guessing..... :rotf:

THEdonkey0515

Looking back and laughing at UT fans for the Dobbs heisman talk is about as funny as gator fans saying stuff like grier is going to be a star at Florida for the next 3 years. Grier is the REAL deal, and more stuff gator fans said praising Grier. And they was A lot of it.

But now he got busted using roids looked like a dummy and suspended for a year, while looking for a transfer its. O he would get beat out by the freshman or the JR transfer any how after his suspension is up, no biggie.

gator-n-buck

THEdonkey0515":2xi7gyal said:
Looking back and laughing at UT fans for the Dobbs heisman talk is about as funny as gator fans saying stuff like grier is going to be a star at Florida for the next 3 years. Grier is the REAL deal, and more stuff gator fans said praising Grier. And they was A lot of it.

But now he got busted using roids looked like a dummy and suspended for a year, while looking for a transfer its. O he would get beat out by the freshman or the JR transfer any how after his suspension is up, no biggie.

No ones saying he would been beat out on a leveling playing field and yes, Grier was probably going to be a good QB at UF. It's hard to play in games, as a college QB with little or no reps. Of course what would UF do if the guy that replaced Grier played well????? Now UF would have a big QB controversy to deal with once Grier's suspension was up..... No coach wan't to deal with that media circus... :)

THEdonkey0515

Of course if the guy that replaces Girer plays well then Florida will be fine.

But what happens if the dude that replaces Grier plays like poo poo?? Or gets a bad season ending injury in week 4? Or does something real stupid to get kicked off team??

Then I bet Florida fans, and coach Mac would say dang wish I had Grier back for the second half of the season, and the next two years or so. He played real well as a RS freshman last season.

gator-n-buck

farmin68":18dbotuo said:
gator-n-buck":18dbotuo said:
Lucky guess...... 50/50..... :)

It wasn't a guess. I was just going with word I got from a reliable source.

Then he was lucky because a 19 year old kid changed his mind twice in two weeks..... :tu: I guessing his girlfriend that's a NFL cheerleader might be transferring also..... :D

gator-n-buck

THEdonkey0515":1hnct06m said:
Of course if the guy that replaces Girer plays well then Florida will be fine.

But what happens if the dude that replaces Grier plays like poo poo?? Or gets a bad season ending injury in week 4? Or does something real stupid to get kicked off team??

Then I bet Florida fans, and coach Mac would say dang wish I had Grier back for the second half of the season, and the next two years or so. He played real well as a RS freshman last season.

There's a lot of "ifs"....... But I believe they are living in the "now"................ :pop: