Officiating is getting worse every year

encore06

Rarely do you see a 3 second violation called in the lane;

Palming the ball is now the new norm;

Too much leniency is given to the guards when they run into a defender in the lane.;

Walking. Back in the day whenever the ball handler picked up the ball and established their pivot foot, any movement or lifting of the pivot foot was called a walk. No more

There is very little accountability regarding the officials. And I hate the new rule on goal tending. If the call is made, stop play and check immediately or let it go.

My rant is over. Someone pass the popcorn

Displaced_Vol

All sports. NCAA should have moved to professional officials years ago.

On point #1 Zach Edey doesn't even know there is such a thing as a 3 second violation. That kid ought to be paying rent down there

PalsPal

All sports. NCAA should have moved to professional officials years ago.

Ive heard that NBA refs are worse.

Officiating in all sports is inadequate.
But, it's a tough balance. As with anything, the driving force is the almighty $$$.

If they call a game to the letter of the rules, it will be a continuous whistle, and no one wants to watch that. Thus, they let things go.

One just hopes that they suck equally for both sides, but that rarely happens.

Displaced_Vol

Ive heard that NBA refs are worse.

Officiating in all sports is inadequate.
But, it's a tough balance. As with anything, the driving force is the almighty $$$.

If they call a game to the letter of the rules, it will be a continuous whistle, and no one wants to watch that. Thus, they let things go.

One just hopes that they suck equally for both sides, but that rarely happens.
Sure consistency is the biggest thing. At least then everybody can get a feel for what's going to be let go and what's going to get a whistle. But I haven't seen much of it in the big 3 sports I watch on the college level.

XCR-2

They're doing it on purpose. Just gonna be an excuse to let AI come and call all sporting events.

volboy

Referee's are not consistent nowadays. I have watched several games that have the same scenario. 1st half there is a combined 10-15 fouls called and may 10-12 free throws and the half is about 50 minutes. THEN the 2nd half begins and 1 team is in the bonus within 7 minutes and there is a combined 25+ fouls, 25+ free throws and the 2nd half takes an hour and 20 minutes to the complete due to the inconsistencies and the striped shirts wanting to be the show. Back in the 70s, 80s an most of the 90s a game would be over in less than 2 hours unless it went to overtime.
The majority of today's refs make the game not enjoyable.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Flopping was changed last season to a technical foul. I don't see it so often now. It is still a "judgement call" so difficult for refs to make the call but I've seen it. Most times, there is contact but the player taking the flop over-emphasizes the contact or starts to move into the flop early and the refs just call a common foul on the flopper.

Displaced_Vol

What's been so aggravating about basketball games this season is the obvious (to me anyway) delay officials are giving on foul calls to wait and see if a shot goes in- there will be a drive, whistle goes to their mouth, they watch the ball on the rim and it it misses they blow the whistle. On the converse I have seen some wild continuation given on some and 1 plays.

Latest posts