Invasive Stiltgrass

TN24081

Does anyone have any experience with Japanese Stiltgrass ? I've known for years that I had this green weed/grass growing all through my mature hardwood forest but never gave it a lot of thought. Four years ago, the timber was select cut and I've been waiting on new undergrowth to grow ever since. It finally dawned on me this hunting season that whatever this "grass" is may be choking out any and all new growth. It took me forever but I finally found the grass online and it is indeed Japanese Stiltgrass and to say I have been invaded is an understatement. I always knew that whatever it was, it was keeping ginseng from growing. There is ginseng growing on all sides of me in woods that look identical. But after reading up on it, it pretty much chokes out EVERYTHING and it has me very concerned about the future growth of this forest. It grows all throughout the mature forest, encompassing over 50 acres ! Any help/links etc would be gladly appreciated.

MickThompson

Plateau, active ingredient imazapic is what you want. Don't take my word for it- here's the research. This was done by one of Dr. Craig Harper's students at UT.
http://seafwa.org/html/journals/pdf/38% ... 62-267.pdf
Imazapic is selective- it won't kill everything like glyphosate (roundup) will. It is also soil active, so you get some residual control. It costs the same per acre at their recommended rate (8 oz/acre) as glyphosate too.

TN24081

MickThompson":3v38dhw4 said:
Plateau, active ingredient imazapic is what you want. Don't take my word for it- here's the research. This was done by one of Dr. Craig Harper's students at UT.
http://seafwa.org/html/journals/pdf/38% ... 62-267.pdf
Imazapic is selective- it won't kill everything like glyphosate (roundup) will. It is also soil active, so you get some residual control. It costs the same per acre at their recommended rate (8 oz/acre) as glyphosate too.

Thanks Mick, checking out the link now!