Invasive Lineup

Football Hunter

Ugggh,wish I could kill em all.
downsize-51.jpg
I think they are,from left to right,Johnson Grass,nut sedge,sickle pod,morning glory,Jap grass.

Beutiful,huh?I also have some fox tail,but didnt see any of it today,maybe I got rid of it.Hopefully it wasnt that Congor grass I was reading about in the TWRA hunting guide,almost wanted to find some so I could tell.

SEND MORE ROUNDUP,And hurry!

TS_13

yep! I checked my clover plot yesterday (after bushogging in 100+ heat) and its full of that cr*p. next week the whole plot is getting the roundup treatment. Kill it all. I will re plant clover i guess. I just cant seem to grow the stuff...

pass-thru

asiatic bittersweet....if you don't have it, count your blessings. IMO it's the worst in the country.

Quailman

FH, the last one is red root pigweed. Can't tell from the pic if it has spines. If it does, then it would be spiny amaranth. Either way, it's an Amaranthus spp. Hard to kill with herbicides, and should be sprayed when it is early in the growing season.

RKenney

I wonder if deer eat any of that stuff? The last pic looks like
the plant has been browsed on, but maybe not. Many weeds can be
very nutritious for deer, but I'm not sure about any of those.

Football Hunter

RKenney said:
I wonder if deer eat any of that stuff? The last pic looks like
the plant has been browsed on, but maybe not. Many weeds can be
very nutritious for deer, but I'm not sure about any of those.
your right RKenny,many are ,but not grasses,which at least 3 of those are,in fact the Jap grass is croowding out some poke weed,trying to carefully spray,but It aint easy.

Football Hunter

Quailman said:
FH, the last one is red root pigweed. Can't tell from the pic if it has spines. If it does, then it would be spiny amaranth. Either way, it's an Amaranthus spp. Hard to kill with herbicides, and should be sprayed when it is early in the growing season.
I guess I will have to do more research on spraying,Ive sprayed all mt fields twice this year,and spot sprayed countless times.

Football Hunter

TS_13 said:
yep! I checked my clover plot yesterday (after bushogging in 100+ heat) and its full of that cr*p. next week the whole plot is getting the roundup treatment. Kill it all. I will re plant clover i guess. I just cant seem to grow the stuff...
That was running through my head as well,but I hate to do it,trying not to "clear the table"

Boone 58

keeping the plot mowed regularly has helped the clover tremendously. But you have to stay on it. Some of mine are beginning to be taken over by the sedge grass again and this is always a bad thing.

Football Hunter

camoman270 said:
keeping the plot mowed regularly has helped the clover tremendously. But you have to stay on it. Some of mine are beginning to be taken over by the sedge grass again and this is always a bad thing.
A couple are my plots are relly heavy with sedge

A

Anonymous

I done give up on perennials. I just like to get in there and round up, bush hog and disc all of that crap up (weeds) and just throw out some low budget annuals. Like I did today.

$25 worth of turnip seed brings in plenty of furry deer sized critters

TS_13

I am doing just that.... I am tired of mowing my plot and just mowing weeds. they are low mind you.. but weeds... its getting the round up this week. Planting more clover and turnips.

Football Hunter

TS_13 said:
I am doing just that.... I am tired of mowing my plot and just mowing weeds. they are low mind you.. but weeds... its getting the round up this week. Planting more clover and turnips.
Man I hate the thought of that,but may be where I end up.Whats the use of Durana,if you have to kill it out every 2 years because of these very aggresive invasives?

TS_13

I hear you! I cut, fertalize, etc. I cut it this past Friday, and seriously only about an 8th of my plot was "decent clover" the rest was nutsedge etc. thick... CLover is expensive. Your plots look 100% better than mine.

Quailman

Football Hunter said:
TS_13 said:
Man I hate the thought of that,but may be where I end up.Whats the use of Durana,if you have to kill it out every 2 years because of these very aggresive invasives?

Alright, here's some recommendations for your problems. First off all, I'm very suprised that you are having so many weed issues in such a short time since your plots were established. I have some clover plots that are now 5+ years old that I have never sprayed and have just used mowing 2-3 times per year. Yes, they have a few weeds, but not enough to really cause a problem. Some of them I will spray in the next month with Poast to remove some grass competition, but they are still in good condition.

2 years ago, I had one clover plot that was being choked with some weed and grass competition. In August, when the clover was pretty much dormant but the weeds were growing well, I sprayed the plot with Glyphosate with a light rate of 20 ounces per acre. It killed the weeds/grass, but the clover was fine. I then lightly disked, overseeded with a light rate of clover/wheat, and now it is one of the best plots I have. Now here's my disclaimer: Glyphosate is not labeled for this type of application because it is not a selective herbicide, so it can kill the clover if you over-apply. However, both myself and other people I know have used this techniques with good results. You don't have to disk afterwards. You can just frost seed in February/March if you want. You may want to give it a try if you were planning on spraying your plot anyway.

Another recommendation - if you are having a consistent problem with certain noxious weeds, kill your plot next spring with Glyphosate and plant next summer to Roundup ready soybeans. Yes, the deer will eat them in the ground, but you will be able to spray your plots during the summer to clean up weed issues. Then, you can come back in next fall and plant another cool season perennial plot. This is a good way to knock back these problem weeds.

Hope this helps.

Here's a photo of the clover that was sprayed with Glyphosate. This is the following spring. The brown stubble is wheat.
clover_clipped.JPG

Football Hunter

Quailman,thanks for the input,most,most by far,the problems are in the bottom feild,that has been a field,for ever I guess.With it beeing surrounded by those other feilds off my property,which are full of everything,Im kinda figuring that field will always be a problem.The ones I had cleared last spring are pretty clean overall.

I like your rr soybean Idea,I was also thinking of some tall stuff like corn or sunflowers,to shade some stuff out.

I guess the clover is most dormant when its the hottest and driest?

Oh yeah,Im not so much concerned with the weeds,but the Jgrass,nut sedge,jap grass,those I dont like.J grass and Jap grass fall to grass killer,but the nut sedge,it doesnt seem to bother it.

Quailman

Football Hunter said:
I guess the clover is most dormant when its the hottest and driest?
Yes, it typically goes dormant during the hottest part of the summer, so you can sometimes get away with spraying right over the top with Glyphosate when a lot of summer weeds like crabgrass, johnsongrass, etc. are atively growing.

Football Hunter said:
Oh yeah,Im not so much concerned with the weeds,but the Jgrass,nut sedge,jap grass,those I dont like.J grass and Jap grass fall to grass killer,but the nut sedge,it doesnt seem to bother it.
I understand, and nutsedge can be hard to kill. One thing to remember about controlling weeds in food plots. If you are using mowing as a maintenance practice, make sure to mow the weeds before they produce seedheads. If they produce seedheads, you have lost the battle for the year (and probably next).

Latest posts