Invasiveness of Autumn Olive

PickettSFHunter

Just how invasive is it? Are we talking to the point of spread into the shaded woods or just open areas? Reason I ask is there is an reclaimed rock mine near my property that I have noticed autumn olive on but I havent noticed any spread outside that one open location and the deer and turkey love that spot.

MilkDud

I bought some olive trees, Russian, they have been banned in several states because they are so invasive. I bought them to make wind break. I've had them for 3 years now. They're about 4 foot tall and haven't spread any.

Bud Soda

Would you believe Our Forestry service (NCDFR) no longer carries Sawtooth Oaks because according to them, they are an non-native invasive species. Now they only want us to plant our native oaks. I have been ordering Sawtooths from them for the last ten years. This year I had to get them from http://www.advantageforestry.net/ Cost about the same but the trees that came from the NCDFR were two years old and alot bigger.

PickettSFHunter

Sawtooths arent outlawed. States and private nurseries still offer them. Some agencies are saying they are invasive though, but not outlawing the planting of them. I have 4 that are 3 years old and 20 that are 1 year old, Ill keep mine for sure and not worry about invasiveness lol

scn

captain hook said:
MilkDud said:
I bought some olive trees, Russian, they have been banned in several states because they are so invasive. I bought them to make wind break. I've had them for 3 years now. They're about 4 foot tall and haven't spread any.

Exactly, some pencil pusher somewhere freaked out because they are an exotic and was concerned about them invading. They made snap judgements and banned them before doing any thorough research. I will say if they were invasive it would be a nightmare species.

You're showing your ignorance again CH. Take a little run up into southern Illinois and take a gander at whole fields of many acres completely taken over by autumn olive where a person couldn't walk through it and see if you can make that statement with a straight face. Talk to some of the farmers that fight the stuff on a regular basis and convince them it isn't invasive. But, hey, you got your slap in at another government employee!

For the past 6-7 years I've been making an annual trip up there about this time of year to do some work for a landowner friend that lets me and a couple of friends hunt his ground as a show of appreciation for what he does for us. With the exception of one year, the work he has wanted us to do was autumn olive eradication on some of his CRP ground that can't be bushhogged on a regular basis. Some of the stuff we cut has been at least 12" across the stump. To make sure it doesn't come back, all of the cuts have to be treated with a strong herbicide. If you miss one, you can count on it coming back within months.

There is no doubt that it favors open fields. But, you will find it thriving in in shaded areas as well. Up there any spot where a bird poops out a seed that gets some regular sunlight on the forest floor is a candidate for an autumn olive. We spent most of an afternoon last March cutting them out of a stand of white pines (20' at least)that had been planted as a wind break. Some were large enough to possibly have been growing when the pines were planted, but there was a bunch in there that I don't think had been there that long.

It doesn't spread like bermuda grass. But, when the birds get into the berries you can count on the seeds being spread. It may not be as much of a problem here with some of our poor rocky ground. But, on good ground where it is found, you will see it spread if you aren't mowing on a very regular basis.

Not invasive-LMAO.

scn

Sorry, CH, I thought I used tact. I certainly didn't say what I was really thinking.

If you will look back at your post, it was a pretty hard slap at another government employee who was ignorant in your mind. Your constant belittling of folks/agencies in charge of things that don't agree with your views gets old. And, while you and I are usually pretty tactful between one another even in disagreements, I don't think I will buy your always.

I have no firsthand knowledge of the stripmine reclamation and couldn't and wouldn't post anythinbg on the subject. From things I hear you may very well be right on the money on that.

I've seen some instances in TN where it looks like the autumn olive are an asset. I've heard/read of a couple of places where they have become a real problem. But, there is no doubt that the botanists did their research and decided this exotic was more trouble than it was worth. Since wildlife agencys were some of the main groups pushing this plant twenty plus years ago, it certainly has been a learning experience for all.

Peace.

A

Anonymous

I haven't seen a single new plant show up at my place and i kinda wish a few would. I think i love the berries more than the local critters.

Quailman

scn said:
Sorry, CH, I thought I used tact. I certainly didn't say what I was really thinking.

If you will look back at your post, it was a pretty hard slap at another government employee who was ignorant in your mind. Your constant belittling of folks/agencies in charge of things that don't agree with your views gets old. And, while you and I are usually pretty tactful between one another even in disagreements, I don't think I will buy your always.

I have no firsthand knowledge of the stripmine reclamation and couldn't and wouldn't post anythinbg on the subject. From things I hear you may very well be right on the money on that.

I've seen some instances in TN where it looks like the autumn olive are an asset. I've heard/read of a couple of places where they have become a real problem. But, there is no doubt that the botanists did their research and decided this exotic was more trouble than it was worth. Since wildlife agencys were some of the main groups pushing this plant twenty plus years ago, it certainly has been a learning experience for all.

Peace.

Agree completely SCN.

CHook, I have plenty of farms that I can take you to that are completely covered in both Russian and autumn olive. Matter of fact, I just looked at farm (60+ acres) a few months ago in Coffee County that has been in the CRP program for about 20 years. It has been taken over by Russian olive. Sometimes, those "ignorant government employees" might just know what they are talking about. ;)

As SCN stated, we sometimes have to learn from our mistakes.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
captain hook said:
Not invasive at all, in fact it doesn't spread period. I did tons of stupid research on Autumn Olives because the OSM was convinced that it was invasive and made it illegal to use during reclamation projects. It does not spread, how many baby Autumn Olives trees do you see around? Even if it did, it is a great habitat producer and food producer. The big deer I killed in KY this year was in Autumn Olives, along with his buddies. It provides great cover for Grouse and rabbits as well as all sorts of song birds. Turkeys love the fruit as well.

Good stuff, and much better then yellow pines and fescue which is what mines are reclaimed with now.

There may be somewhere in the world where it is invasive but it is certainly not here.
You need to go back and do somemore UP To Date research Hook. As usal you are passing off you're personal views and feelings as FACTS.One of the reasons you have no credibility.All the critters you mentioned do eat the olives then move on and pass the seeds in new places.
Strip mines used Fescue more many years ago.They have learned it is better for wildlife to use Native grasses.

richmanbarbeque

Captain Hook, can you keep the arguing to the other forums? This is one of the last forums left that I don't have to read your bashing and negative mind set. You are single handily ruining this website for me and several other people.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
signs043.gif

BigGame

In southern Michagan it grows well and is great for the wildlife. My nephew bought some property that is mostly grain feilds but has a particular sloping hillside that the stuff grows on. The deer trails in there are like cow paths but it is hard to hunt because it is so thick. He has to cut shooting lanes every fall because the stuff grows so quick. However it hasnt tried to spread to any of the neighboring feilds. If you are wanting to grow a thicket this stuff would be the way to go.

Latest posts