Autumn Olive

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
During the state forester's visit, he noticed I had Autumn Olive in different sections of my woods. Most are 2-4' high. He highly recommended I cut it then spray with Terdon (sp?) to keep it from sprouting back. Looks to be coming from my neighbor's field. He's got 4 that are 10' tall. What's everyone's thoughts about leaving it for cover or should I work to cut it out of my woods?

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
The stuff is super invasive. We used to recommend it for quick cover years ago. Turns out the stuff is almost as bad as Privet when it comes to spreading.
Ok thanks, so i should get busy cutting and spraying then. seems like it would make good ground cover.

slabhead

During the state forester's visit, he noticed I had Autumn Olive in different sections of my woods. Most are 2-4' high. He highly recommended I cut it then spray with Terdon (sp?) to keep it from sprouting back. Looks to be coming from my neighbor's field. He's got 4 that are 10' tall. What's everyone's thoughts about leaving it for cover or should I work to cut it out of my woods?
I think it's Tordon

WanderingNomad

Ok thanks, so i should get busy cutting and spraying then. seems like it would make good ground cover.
If your neighbor keeps it you will never get rid of it as the birds, coons, deer and critters eat the berries and where ever they poop them out, up comes a new plant..awful to get rid of if it gets a good foothold.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
If your neighbor keeps it you will never get rid of it as the birds, coons, deer and critters eat the berries and where ever they poop them out, up comes a new plant..awful to get rid of if it gets a good foothold.
Yeah I thought about going over and cutting this down on his land and treating it. This field area is part of our discussion of me buying most of his property with in the next 2 years.

Once you cut it, do you need to burn it or just leave it to rot?

Carlos

You may want to listen to some additional information about A.O. before you try and eliminate it.
The berries have a decent taste. Last spring my wife made several jars of jelly from the berries. It's not all bad, and can be beneficial to wildlife.
Check this out.

squackattack

Yes, wildlife might use it. The negatives far out weigh the positives. I would use a herbicide to get rid of it. Tordon works with cut stump, so does garlon4 basal spray. Be ready to retreat smaller ones that sprout once big ones are gone. Seeds persist in Seedbank for a long time. Encourage neighbor to get rid of to.

Carlos

OK, nuke em if that's what you feel is best. Just know that they'll keep popping up, and they are beneficial in many circumstances.
It's a bush, folks. How much rage can a Bush invoke? Evidently quite a lot.
Lol

Tn_Va_Hunter

Cut them all down and spray brother. I swear you can cut one to the ground and within the years it's back to the same size or bigger.

I keep them cut along my field edges just So I can bush hog.

They grow super fast and get pretty big. I will leave some in area's to help with cover and such. But keep them trimmed back yearly.

Last edited: