Autum olives

buckaroo

What is everyones opinion of these? I planted 200 years ago. I have mostly woods so they are not spreading, but I'm thinking of whacking them down.

scn

They don't seem to bee too much of a problem in ETN. However, where I hunt in southern IL they are terribly invasive.

They make good visual barriers and provide some soft mast for birds. But, after seeing them take over the world up there, I would never recommend them for planting.

BlountArrow

They can be incredibly invasive. My neighbor planted some on his property and some on ours when my granddad allowed it and now they are everywhere, popping up in another neighbor's pasture, etc. At least on my property, once I knew what to look for, I see them everywhere even in the hardwood areas. It's not like kudzu or honey suckle as far as spreading but they get around. They are great cover, but a TWRA biologist came out to my property and recommended killing it all with cutting and poison.

Boll Weevil

Nooooooo! The birds love them and I think that might be one of the primary methods of spreading viable seed. It could end up being as bad (or worse) than privet if we're to purposely plant it.

tnmtnman

Another exotic invasive species. I have started a cut and spray program on my place but they are all over the neighbors on each side so it is going to be a constant battle. Turkeys love the berries but it is not worth it to keep them.

BlountArrow

Re: Autumn olives

trealtree said:
I saw a nice buck and 4 does feeding on some yesterday in Lebanon.

I've never heard of deer eating these before now...I wonder if that is a bad sign if you have deer eating Autumn Olive?

trealtree

Re: Autumn olives

BlountArrow said:
trealtree said:
I saw a nice buck and 4 does feeding on some yesterday in Lebanon.

I've never heard of deer eating these before now...I wonder if that is a bad sign if you have deer eating Autumn Olive?

If I would have known that I would have taken a picture. This is where they were.Seems like there is plenty of other browse in the area. http://goo.gl/maps/IL9Li

Latest posts