Herbicide for Autumn Olive?

Jugfish

I need to kill some autumn olive by spraying foliage, and some by hack and squirt on the big, "old-growth" bushes. Will Glyphosate work on spraying? Arsenal/Imazapyr on the hack and squirt and/or spraying foliage?

I've got a lot of herbicide experience, but none with autumn olive. I don't want to kill it all. I just want to reduce it where it has formed thickets, and my biggest thickets are about an acre in size. I like having it as isolated bushes here and there.

MickThompson

Same active ingredients, different brands. Kills any hardwood you need rid of, up to 3" diameter or so.

That's when I switch over to hack and squirt. Some glyphosate formulations are labeled for hack and squirt as well.

My go to for hack and squirt is Garlon 3 50/50 with water. A little imazapyr will give it some extra punch for stubborn trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackwoodsBoy

Good advice given above, I use triclopyr and diesel as a surfactant for basal bark spraying. I encourage completely eliminating it though rather than leaving isolated bushes. If you can , there are are great native shrubs that are better for wildlife and will provide the same cover you are seeking with scattered clumps ( black haw, Hawthorne species etc)