Japanese Stiltgrass Control

Ski

I'm enrolled in a contract that incentivizes timber, water, and soil management. As well got my tree farm certification from the ATFS in 2016. It was a no-brainer for me because it was a bunch of activities I planned on doing anyway.

Sounds like very different from what you're considering though as it might mean leaving the forest as-is vs promoting more diverse wildlife habitat.

Yes completely different. I'm still learning about the program. Even the foresters seem unclear of all the details and they're who I'm trusting for advice. I've been slow walking it until I know for sure what I'd be giving up.

DoubleRidge

I'm glad I don't have a Tree of Heaven problem. About the only thing we have a problem with in regeneration areas is Poplar. Cut an Oak forest and you get a Poplar forest in return.
This has been our experience in certain areas of the farm....the number of poplar stems in certain location's is just astonishing. Literally so thick in pockets you cant walk through it...but I'm very thankful its poplar and not Tree of Heaven.

Ski

the number of poplar stems in certain location's is just astonishing. Literally so thick in pockets you cant walk through it

That sounds like my place except my thickets are ash saplings. All of my old ash has died or dying, and coming up in their place is thousands of ash saplings. A few of my big ash trees are doing quite healthy. Most are rotting or already rotted away, and many are barely hanging on. But a few of the giants are flush full with huge canopies.

LanceS4803

I picked up stilt grass apparently from logging trucks that came through the property, as it is only along their route.
Researched and found this stuff is the best for stilt grass. Sorry, don't know how it reacts to clover but should be searchable. Pricey, but only takes an ounce per gallon. Needs two applications.
Amazon product ASIN B00IZGMUOA

Ski

I picked up stilt grass apparently from logging trucks that came through the property, as it is only along their route.
Researched and found this stuff is the best for stilt grass. Sorry, don't know how it reacts to clover but should be searchable. Pricey, but only takes an ounce per gallon. Needs two applications.
Amazon product ASIN B00IZGMUOA

I'll research that. Thank you!

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I'm currently working with the NRCS on removing stiltgrass from my place. They recommended spraying 2 applications with 41% gly. Do one now before seed and again next spring after it emerges.

I sprayed last week, here is what I have 7 days later.

1st pic: Before with Stilt and clover mix the area was moved 2 weeks before.
2nd pic: sprayed 7/22
3rd pic: sprayed 7/22, this was knee high. it's dying a slow death.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts