Weed Control

tellico4x4

Clethodim for grass & 2-4-D-B for broadleaf. I order the Cleth online from Rural King for about $140.00/2.5 gallons. 2-4-D-B is bought at Co-Op.

Fertilizing our clover plots today and will spray sometime within the next couple weeks.

woodsman87

I wouldn't be sure if I told you anything, best thing to do is ask your co op people. I tried to make a pure clover plot once, and I talked to a co op crop advisor and he said there ain't much out there they won't ding it up some. When I did turf management a few years ago, a 2-4D would knock it back some, but usually would take us two separate applications to kill it. A 2-4D is designed to kill broadleaf weeds, and that includes a few different clovers. Controlling the grassy weeds should be easier, just find a selective herbicide that targets grasses, the best was MSMA, but they quit making it, and it is possibly illegal now, not sure though.
I would think if you asked the right guy, that they would know of something. Clover is too popular to not have a selective herbicide to spray in clover fields.

woodsman87

Another great thing to do is call the extension office at UT or somewhere. They know what's up, and I just got through reading a report from them about MSMA for grassy weeds, certain people can still use it, but I think it was taken off the shelves last year.
If you use a 2-4D, for the broadleafs, be careful, clover is a broadleaf and it can kill it. I sprayed lawns for several years and we would use a 2-4D for clover, but sometimes it would take two applications ten days apart.
Call the extension office is what I would do.

Hunter 257W

Whitetail Institute sells their "Slay" for broadleaf weeds and "Arrest" for grass control in any legume such as clover or alfalfa, peas, beans etc. It is expensive but at least you know it won't kill your plot.

2-4D is my standard for broadleaf weeds in pastures but it does make clover wither some so I am always nervous about spraying it on a pure clover patch. I know it won't kill the clover but seeing it wither the way it does just makes me too nervous.

I am going to pick up some Poast(spelling?) at the CO-OP for grass control next time in my alfalfa/clover field.

PickettSFHunter

Football Hunter said:
How will 24 d "b" work on mint?Really getting tired of mint!

If your talking the beefsteak plant aka perilla (perilla frutescens) that I think you are, then I have killed it with 24DB. Its a pretty expensive option IMO though. Aggresive mowing and not breaking the ground seems to work best for me with that crap. If it ever goes to seed you are in trouble for awhile, even with spraying because the seed will just germinate and come right back. If I had a really bad problem with it, I would go the pre-emerge route. Of course then your into money and even restricted use pesticides in alot of cases. I hate that stuff!

Football Hunter

smstone22 said:
Football Hunter said:
How will 24 d "b" work on mint?Really getting tired of mint!

If your talking the beefsteak plant aka perilla (perilla frutescens) that I think you are, then I have killed it with 24DB. Its a pretty expensive option IMO though. Aggresive mowing and not breaking the ground seems to work best for me with that crap. If it ever goes to seed you are in trouble for awhile, even with spraying because the seed will just germinate and come right back. If I had a really bad problem with it, I would go the pre-emerge route. Of course then your into money and even restricted use pesticides in alot of cases. I hate that stuff!
Yeah,its thick in my bottom plots,tired of it

Hunter 257W

tellico4x4 said:
Clethodim for grass & 2-4-D-B for broadleaf. I order the Cleth online from Rural King for about $140.00/2.5 gallons. 2-4-D-B is bought at Co-Op.

Fertilizing our clover plots today and will spray sometime within the next couple weeks.

Thanks. I just placed an order for 2 1/2 gallons of Clethodim from Rural King. I didn't know about this grass killer. It's a lot cheaper than the price the CO-OP quoted me for Poast and obviously not even close to as expensive as the Whitetail Institute herbicides.

Latest posts