Interesting article on lead vs TSS

Rockhound

The problem with this thread is that guys who have limited experience with TSS think they are experts on the matter.. punching holes in paper and real time hunting situations are not the same. Furthermore if you have only been turkey hunting for a year or two, threads like these are good ones to read, learn, and be quiet.
Yepppp

UTGrad

I'm pleased with this 40 yard group 3.5" #6 Longbeard XR. Poor man's TSS lol

Attachments

• 095CB849-8955-4995-80D1-F9A5D7B1A188.jpeg
    095CB849-8955-4995-80D1-F9A5D7B1A188.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 43

Rakkin6

I'm pleased with this 40 yard group 3.5" #6 Longbeard XR. Poor man's TSS lol
I will be honest with you, I have shot a lot of guns in my life M107 .50 cal, 2010 .300 Mag, .338 Lapua, .338 Win Mag but a 3.5" turkey load has definitely been the most painful. Now I was shooting them out of a Mossberg which are known to have some recoil but I fired two 3.5" shells and said hell no and went and bought some 3" and never looked back lol.

UTGrad

I will be honest with you, I have shot a lot of guns in my life M107 .50 cal, 2010 .300 Mag, .338 Lapua, .338 Win Mag but a 3.5" turkey load has definitely been the most painful. Now I was shooting them out of a Mossberg which are known to have some recoil but I fired two 3.5" shells and said hell no and went and bought some 3" and never looked back lol.

I have a Beretta Xtrema2 and it manages the recoil well.

dhpro

I've got a old browning a 5 I'll be carrying it this season. It liked lead #4 shot . Have no ideal at the birds we've taken together since I was 16 I'm 53 now . On paper most would not hunt with it but out to 40 it's dinner time! The tungsten is to expensive

Gobble4me757

I made the switch because I shot at a public land Bama gobbler at 30 yds where a single sapling saved a turkeys life with my longbeard 5s…instead of having 20-50 pellets in a 60 in circle, I can have over 250…that's approximately 4 to 5 times the odds at killing one. Sure in an open field not much difference besides my 20 ga is half as heavy. In the woods though, all it takes is a couple saplings/tall grass etc to save a turkey….I like my chances with 5x more pellets.

TheLBLman

The issue of excessive recoil with the heavier payloads of lead
is one of the reasons I prefer TSS over lead.

I can't even imagine shooting a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 payload.

In a 12 ga. with TSS, instead of shooting, say a 2 oz load of lead,
can go down to 1 3/4 oz TSS, noticeably less recoil,
while still having the same or greater range as the heavier payload of lead.

But in the 20 ga, 1 1/2 oz of TSS seems to recoil even less,
even in view of the lighter gun.

Just saying, one of the advantages you can get with TSS
is LESS recoil while still having the same or greater effective range
of a much heavier lead payload.

Roost 1

The issue of excessive recoil with the heavier payloads of lead
is one of the reasons I prefer TSS over lead.

I can't even imagine shooting a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 payload.

In a 12 ga. with TSS, instead of shooting, say a 2 oz load of lead,
can go down to 1 3/4 oz TSS, noticeably less recoil,
while still having the same or greater range as the heavier payload of lead.

But in the 20 ga, 1 1/2 oz of TSS seems to recoil even less,
even in view of the lighter gun.

Just saying, one of the advantages you can get with TSS
is LESS recoil while still having the same or greater effective range
of a much heavier lead payload.
TSS in its self does not increase or decrease the felt recoil. The load itself can be of higher or lower pressure. Generally speaking, the hot rod loads will have higher pressure. The great thing about TSS is that it doesn't have to be hot-rodded to be effective. Lots of the custom loads are 10,000 psi or less.

Latest posts