Instead of waisting turkey loads on snakes while hunting....

Mike Belt

I figure that between me and a snake he actually has more right to be in the woods or fields than I do. I'm invading his home. I've never run into a rattler but have seen my share of moccasins and copperheads. They all get a pass from me except for the rare copperhead I find in my yard. My grandkids play there and I consider them now invading my home. I have on a couple of instances seen moccasins in an attack mode. Some of them have nasty attitudes.

artwork001

I'm not afraid of snakes but if I run into a rattlesnake or copperhead too close to the house I'd kill it. I haven't seen anything but black snakes around here so I haven't had to kill any. In Florida when I was young and excitable I shot a coral snake while Turkey hunting.it was right between my boots and scared the crap out of me. I felt a little bad about that one but no take backs on bullets. I shot a 39 or 49 inch cottonmouth can't remember exactly, on a trail I couldn't get off of and he was coming my way. No regrets about that one it was huge. That's my snake kills in almost 40 years hunting and fishing. I don't think the snake population is in danger but I don't go out of my way to kill them.

artwork001

I remembered another snake I was working in Georgia at a plant and staying in an apartment. The laundry room was outside so I was taking clothes to wash and my son and I were grilling. I stepped over a stick in the parking lot and it curled up and started rattling. If I had a gun I would've shot him like the coral snake out of reflex, but I didn't have my gun. I caught him in a tote and took him over to a wma the next morning. Don't want to step on a snake going to wash my grundies lol.

JDUB

That's the ticket, right there! It all depends on the situation and the snake. That Judge in .410 will do a number on a Cottonmouth!
Thats me. I got a judge loaded with .410 after i almost stepped on 2 cottonmouths, both of which struck at me. The first all i heard was the thud as it stuck and its body hit the ground....

RodneyO

Well that's nice but I am not leaving a copperhead or cottonmouth around my house.
I understand. I just saved a baby copperhead that was in my shop... Set him out back I just keep my head on a swivel as I am from Colorado and have spent time in the Mohave dessert and both those locals have plenty of rattlesnakes....

Latest posts